B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by last night's Cape Cod meet, I decided to try to get my ES MMI's on. After much pulling and cursing, I decided that I did not have the muscular fortitude to pull the rear 17mm bolts holding the subframe onto the rear motor mount. So I decided to work smarter and not harder by positioning the breaker bar so that I could us the little scissor jack from the trunk underneath to try to use even more force than I could muster. Some idea, all I managed to do was bend my breaker bar :eek: So I guess that bolt is fairly tight. I will just have to wait and use my friends lift and impact wrench, or maybe the good-old-fashioned flame wrench.

Also, I am expecting to get a good check back from my insurance co., and when I do, I am looking to get a header. I am kinda leaning to nismo, because I already have the intake and exhaust, but am also seriously considering the hotshot. My question is has anyone tried the JWT header? Yea, I tried searching, but didn't find much of anything. I'll probably get the nismo, but JWT is a good name, and a good price, so I was just wondering. I'll probably do the header since I have the car in the shop anyway to do the MMI's.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
if you have the cash for the nismo header, I would suggest hotshot.

·
Registered
303 Posts
the JWT header is a hotshot

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That makes sense. Thanks!

·
Rotary GURU
537 Posts
I don't understand how people have so much trouble with the bolts being 'seized'.

Spray some Liquid Wrench/wd40 on to it.

With a breaker bar the 17 mm bolt took some force, but was not seized at all.

You can supply ALOT of torque with a good length breaker bar.

·
Registered
465 Posts
hahaha 17mm bolt owns uuu just jokin....

·
Slappy McGear Slapper
913 Posts
not trying to be a di*k but are you sure you are turning the wrench the right way? Those botls have rubber spacers une them and there is almost no way its on so tight that you would bend the bar before it would break loose. I'm not the biggest guy and I had no problem breaking those bolts loose. Get back under there and make sure yu are turning the wrench countr-clockwise. We've all done it, sometimes you get turned around when your on your back looking up trying to figure out which way is left.

·
Registered
194 Posts
well it was quite easy for me to get them off but then again my dad was a mechanic and my garage is filled with snap-on and mac tools so i used a snapon 1inch breaker bar i love that thing

·
Rotary GURU
537 Posts
Gandalf said:
not trying to be a di*k but are you sure you are turning the wrench the right way? Those botls have rubber spacers une them and there is almost no way its on so tight that you would bend the bar before it would break loose.

You said what I was thinking :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Righty tighty- lefty loosey....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Give me so more credit than that. It was a cheap bar, but it flexed before the bolt turned. I gave up fighting it because I was afraid of snapping the bolt and then being up sh*t creek. I am going to use my friend's impact gun and be done with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts