B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, as most of you know I have been here for quite some time and have completely fell in love with our community. But an accident and some financial problems have rendered me helpless. Me and my parents decided(finally!), that having a brand new car in a college town is not the best thing to do, new scratches, etc, etc every single freaking day. So, I think my Mom will be taking my sentra(title is under my name) and driving that around for a while, and she said she will give me the funds to buy an old car which is what I have always wanted. So in like 2 or 3 months I will be getting either a 1989-1993 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe(will get an A4 or R4 race block and some other stuff as soon as bought), Gen I or II RX-7(will get 1989 or above 13B turbo race engine transplanted as soon as I buy it), Grand National(1985-1988), CRX from 1989-1991(will get a B18C5 transplant as soon as I buy it and some chassis lightening as well as 7 pound rims and a baddass full coilover suspension), a B13 2-door sentra(will get a SR20DE-T transplant as soon as bought), a Camaro from 1967-1969 if possible, 1965-1969 Mustang if possible, 1978-1981 Z-28 Camaro if possible, a Monte Carlo SS(1981-1987). That is my list thus far. I am really inclining toward the CRX cuz it weighs like nothing(an HF model....1500lbs I think). and my brother's shop is selling onw in good condition that is just waiting for a swap. Ok, let me know what I should do, If I get a new car let me know who wants my Stromung Exhaust and Hotshot CAI. I will sell them together or separate. Probably 450 for stromung exhaust shipped, and 150 for Hotshot CAI shipped. or if you buy both I will sell them for as low as $550 with shipping. :( it would really suck to leave here but ohhh well!, I am actually thinking about a NISSDA, or in other words, dropping an sr20de-t into the CRX and modding the shizt out of it. whichever car I keep I am aiming for the 10-11 second quarter mile range next race season, and around the 8 second range in 2 race seasons after that once I graduate from college, K, Laters, love you all...... :(

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Sorry to hear

In the grand scheme of things, your plans do not make a lot of financial sense. If you were my son (I've raised 2 put through college). I would have you concentrate on college, graduate, get a job and then you can afford your mods. All of them look expensive and work intensive. Don't know how you would have time for college.

Good luck, and remember you will probably only get one shot at college. Flipping burgers for a living probably ultra-sucks.

Later

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
adc100

I dont know about the money and what he can afford, but concerning college and time spent on the car.

If kids really had to spend 24/7 just thinking about college, they would freaking go NUTS. I personnaly find it ludicrous for parents to think their kids should only think of college for 3-4+ years. Thats the main reason they go out drinking and partying so much. They dont have anything else to occupie them.

Everything in life is balanced, if parents had to work and ONLY think of work, for 3-4+ years, what do you think would happen ? (I think thats called a recipie for a BURNOUT)

oh, and the burger reference ? Its an awfull and misguided one. Using fear to get ppl to do something isnt really a good way of doing it.

P.s. adc100, this post in no way is meant to argue with you or saying your comments are bad (well, maybe the burger one, hehe). It just seemed like a good time to voice somethings I've been wanting to voice. To often adults dont seem to realise how teens do understand whats going on around and arent given enough credit for it. BTW, Im 24, finished High School in Adult Ed, by my own will, then went to college in Montreal to study law, until I did a career change a year before graduating. I now work in IT, and love it. Plus Im getting well paid for doing something I absolutely adore.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
I would avoid getting an older Camaro or Mustang. Those are show cars, not daily drivers.

I'll tell ya, I'd wanted a new NEW car since 98, and could afford it, but I waited until last August to actually get one simply because I wasn't ready to own that NEW car.

You'll end up getting a BMW or a Lexus right after college graduation anyways. You can suffer for a while. :)

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
SpIcEz..

yea, that's true. The key is...how are the grades. I forgot to add that- the most important. Also I went to Engineering school. Few people there had time for lots of other things.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Right on, I totaly agree!

"How are the grades!" is one of the important factors.

Its true, most of the time they dont really have much time for anything else. But there is always a way to find spare time for a hobby. Keeps you sane.

When I was studying law, I also worked 40 hours a week doing telemarketing ( I know its evil, hehe).

With all that, I found time to go out a little, and spend some weekends in the country to relax. Without that... I would have burntout.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very True

Very good points on life frome everyone, but I was hoping to get some comment on the cars, I saw only 1. I am currently a Sophmore at the University of Florida where I am doing both Computer and Electrical Engineering, it is a 150 credit major, but at least I get 2 degrees when I'm done. My grades have always been good, but this last semester I had to drop out of Calculus3, a little too much overkill on math for me. well thanks guys, and yes you are right, only focusing on college would lead to my death in a year or two.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My choice would have to be one of the newer cars. I would love to take the old camaro, but only as a weekend driver. Not much of a Ford fan so I can't tell you to get the mustang. I would take the RX7 (those mazda's are only half Ford he he), those rotarys are fast as ****, they did have their problems but if you do a transplant it should be all right. That or the b13 sentra with a DE-T.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2k1DragSentra, I'm a EE major at UF too!! This is crazy! I'm a third year sophmore. Just dropped PHY2049. Hard *** major I can tell you that! Are you going to be here for the summer? You might have seen me around town. I drive a Silver 200sx w/ exhaust, intake, eibach prokits & Kybs and rims. where do you live in gainesville? Please stay nissan!!! B13 with a DET is my vote!!! Hell find a nice GA16 and turbo it and be orginal!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sup dundee

are you going to go to the battle of the imports thing at gainesville raceway??, I will be taking summer C, so you'll see a lot of me up there. Yeah, at least you will be able to see my 2001 Sentra before I turn it over to the parents, yeah I might stay nissan and get a B13, but I dunno about going turbo on the GA16DE, cuz i can get a SR20DE-T transplanted into the car with everything for like $2k. I really want to take that CRX and make a Nissan out of it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll be there hopefully

I will be at the NHRA thing on Sat and maybe Sun. too, but I am not too sure. I am still on my huge week and a half of summer. Hey call me up at (352)271-3801, on Sat. so we can meet up if you want to ride to the competition together. I live in The Laurels, it is right in front of the big blue post office sign on 34th St. below archer rd.

·
Registered
778 Posts
well if youre lookin for a car, go with a gas saver. money is a big thing for people our age. well i was wondering...did you sell the rims to that guy?

·
I am a mother****er
675 Posts
Mustangs and Camaros = no
Grand Nationals = fast as hell, but good luck finding one
Crx = would be the runner up.
B13 SE-R = yes! go w/ the Nissan. I am totally biased but who cares.

Just my .02.later

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
I hate to say it, but the Grand National might be a stretch for you. A really good one is going for about 11-16k. So an ok one would probably go for 5-8k... Maybe it wouldn'e be a stretch after all. You would want to hit the turbo Buick website so you know what to look for so you get one in the best shape possible . The turbo Regals used the same engine as the Grand National and would probably be cheaper. Orrrrr, you get that Mustang and drop in the the turbo 231ci. I saw where some guy did that and he runs 10's pretty much stock. The Mustang jerks won't let him attend their meets because of the Buick engine. The Buick guys welcome him with open arms. That's why I love Buicks too. FYI, you want the 1987 turbo 231 engine/car. That was the best year for performance. The 86 is good too, but should be your second choice.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally

Thanks sooo much fora ll your comments, yeah the CRX and Grand National are prob. my main choices, I can get a good regal turbo for like $2-$3k. and a good GNX for around $5-$6k. but we'll see waht I end up getting and we'll be sure to post everything on it. No, my parents want to have the car back completely stock, so I will be seliing the stromung and cai, and keeping the stock rims, and changing the grill back to normal.

·
Registered
605 Posts
What's up JC. This is Peter, the incoming freshman for summer b. Sorry to hear that you are not able to keep your sentra up in UF. You think you could give me some info on this situation? How bad is the parking situation in g-ville? I was thinking of getting a new sentra (i totalled mine, remember?) and wasn't sure if I should take that up, or my sister's b13 xe. I would rather deal with driving a ga16 for a year, then have my car scratched and dented.

As for your "dilemna" I would pick the B13. Get an SE-R and turbo it. If you transplant a DET, and you get into an accident (God forbid) insurance won't cover any damage to the block since it is not the stock motor. The CRX is definately a good thought, but transplanting a det into it, is a little overboard, considering how easy a b18c or a b16 fit. If you want a 10-11 second car, transplant a h22 and get a Jackson supercharger. Ever see the import tuner issue with Le'natural? 11 second NA crx with a h22.

The Mustang idea is definately possible. Despite my being a import dork, I have always had something for the mustang. It has been a love/hate relationship with it. I love the cars, but I hate the ones that beat me! My only concern is the gas. A 5.0 drinks a lot of fuel, and though gas prices were never a major concern, the thought of $2/gal is frightening. You are looking at $20-30/fillup.

I hate chevy.

I have no idea what a grand national is, so no comment.

The RX-7 is not really practical as a daily driver. Then again, neither is a h22 crx!

Can I recommend something that you may or may not have thought about? Get the new import tuner (i have a subscription!), and read about the S14 converted silvia. That is something that I would spend my cash on, given I had the money. A 240 with a DET transplant is my dream car (for the US). Proven reliability and possible daily driver.

Sorry about the long post, but you wanted thoughts and suggestions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I must be too old because I think I am the only one that thinks this is a bad idea.

Ok, you are having financial difficulty, very unfortunate, and can't keep the SE at school. But you are looking into vehicles that are going to require maintenance or some work. A majority of motor transplants will almost certainly keep a wrench in your hand to keep it running. A rotary motor will definitely cost some bucks. An old camaro or mustang will have you making frequent trips to the parts store.

Sorry man but I think a reality check is needed.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone

I think my meaning of financial problems is not as great as some people have crancked it up to be, I am not broke or anything, I just can't afford to pay insurance, car payments, and everything including dents and scratches on a new car, but if I get an old car I will save like $250 a month just on car payments. I can afford to buy an old car and hook it up some and have plenty of money left over to maintain it, my parents will give me like $5k when they take my car, so whatever car i get i will have enough money to hook it up, I can get an HF CRX or B13 for $1k flat. So, please don't worry about my financing problems, just worry about giving me advice as to which car is best, YES aznivation, bring a used car to Gainesville, Parking and traffic is horrible, parking spots are soo thin sometimes you can't get out of your car properly, i get at least like 1 or 2 scratches a month just from school. I think getting an older car that I can mess around with and is cheaper to fix will be more financially intelligent in the long run, just my 2 cents though. See ya summer B man, give me a call at (352)271-3801, I will see you then, I dunno if I'll still have the Sentra then, but who knows.. ;)

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
I say get the Regal. Without even opening up the engine you can get it to run 12's. Besides, a turbo Regal is way nicer looking than a CRX anyday.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah

damn, that's tru I do love the way the turbo regal and gnx's look, all I have to do is find one in ok to good condition for cheap.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts