B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a few things I have found out in researching having a chip burned for our cars.

It would be good for one setup only. Say you have a mild turbo running at 6psi w/IC. If you want to go to higher boost, YOU CAN'T!!! You would have to re-tune all over again AND burn ANOTHER chip. I doubt that would be too cheap.

The cost of the needed equipment I've seen ranges from very cheap to somewhat expensive. I also have yet to discover what we can use exactly. You may wish to hit up Artem for info and see what he has found. I'm giving up on the chip mod for now.

It seems you REALLY have to know what you are doing when you start changing the programming around so you can burn a custom chip or reprogram the ECU. I don't.

It's discouraging, but we still have a few other options. I will research the SC setup and let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
222 Posts
This is the reason that I'm planning on going with the Haltech. Even with the JWT ECU, anytime you change something in your setup, you have to get them to burn a new chip for you. With a stand alone ECU, you'll be able to program it for any possible combination. You could buy the ECU now, and tune it for NA use. Then, once you get a turbo set up you can keep the same system and just re-tune it. Sounds like the way to go for me!

·
Registered
31 Posts
And as you simply save the "tunes" you've got one for C16, one for avgas, one for premium, one for crappy fuel and probably more importantly for you guys one for smog check etc etc etc

·
Registered
246 Posts
AZ_2K, I have been following your tiring look into helping us turbo our Sentras, and I gotta say you're doing a great job. I thought of something this morning, and it may sound a little silly, but here goes: You have recently been looking into a way for a Sentra owner to burn his/her own ECU's, but it is looking very costly, and difficult at the actual coding/burning stage.

If we all got together, did a "group buy" for a good ECU burning setup (blank roms, software etc), and had the person with the most know-how and experience burn us the chips, would that not be the best way to solve the inherent problems? I know that would be a lot of pressure on the person doing the work, but a commission could be paid, or something to that effect... If what I suggested doesn't make any sense, please let me know!

·
Registered
778 Posts
i will get my ecu done by a guy name john davis. he sends schematics to JWT. unlike doing the 97 ecu i was reccomended to use the b14 ecu because of the power and less emissions restrictive. imma see what happens though.

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If we keep cost down to a couple hundred a person I might be able to contribute as well. Here are a few things we need to do first before we even look for someone to burn a chip for us.

1) Decide what the turbo setup will be.-----
----- What turbo, psi level, intercooled/aftercooled or not, locations/brand of IC/AC, mounting location for turbo, and who will supply the test car.

I think that covers most of the bases. The only downside I can think of right now is working out the above. The more people we have pitching in, the more difficult it will be to reach a consensus on the chip/kit. If we lay down the design on our own and say that anyone who wants to go with that setup (period!) should contribute, we cut out those who may have kicked in a little money for even a similar, but slightly different configuration. Other than that, I do think a group deal done by a qualified pro is do-able.

Oops, one more catch. For those that have to pass the IM240, hang on to all of your original parts. Because taking off or moving the cat on a newer car is illegal, you will have to put them all back on before emissions time. Also, you will need to have a chip socket installed that allows you to replace the custom chip with the original in order to control the n/a engine. Without the socket, you will have to unsolder and solder the original and custom chip for installation.

Hey Sr20DE Ren., I take it the ECU he recomended is from a 1995 Sentra? Are you able to provide us with more details about your plans?

·
Registered
560 Posts
AZ_2K,
The only way you can have a tuneable computer which you can adjust any time is by putting in an emulator, or something like that (like a signal modifier to fit between the ECU and the harness). Then you need to know the pinout of the ECU and have a second computer to alter the signal to the injectors, spark, EGR etc. dependant on RPM, load and such. This is doable, and I think it's easier then messing with stock ECU (being that ir's not an EPROM and all). Something like this exists for GM cars, maybe others too. Plus, this kind of a box could have several programs that can be switched without having to burn chips.
Meanwhile:
I am planning to take apart the ECU to take a picture of the motherboard and send it off to G-Force for identification. They may have better idea of what can be done to this ECU. Also, IMOA, I couldn't get much progress with the ROM editor, the one from the Japaneese site. It just keeps giving "crouded..." message.
Regards,
Artem

·
Registered
30 Posts
Guys

Why not get a Jap spec engine package and just swap engines? MUCH, MUCH faster and cheaper as turbo'd variants of the SR20DE engine exist as the SR20DET in Japan, Australia, Italy, and other parts of the world. If you were worried about engine tolerances, the SR20DE internals can take 400+ hp withhout being built up. Also, the '00, '01 SR20DEs that we have in our B15 Sentras have 10.1 Compression - which means you'd have to put in 8.5's in order to run a turbo kit wisely. Which means that you'd have to crack the engine. And IMHO, that is NOT the thing to do on a practically new car engine with warranties and what not.

My proposal would be to drop in the engine with multiple f/a tunes if you had a stand alone EMS like the TECII it would be even easier.

Just think that turbo is the way to go, but not necessary to reinvent the wheel, while giving you the possibility to switch in the old if something catastrophic happens.

By the way, I found some of them with less than 30k miles for under $2100 - anyone want to get into a group buy? I am REALLY tempted. They are the Sunny GtiR engines....

·
Registered
30 Posts
well...

the package prices include engine, airflow meter, computer, engine wiring loom, relays & ancillaries - it doesn't however include a tranny to take the abuse - I'll try to find some

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you live in a state where you do not have to pass emissions, or have very lax emissions standards to pass, you can go with a DET. If you live in a state with the IM-240, don't even think about dropping in a DET. You will not pass even the visual. Our cars must have all of the emissions components on the car and working. If I remember correctly, they do a diagnostic check to ensure that the emissions stuff on the car is actually working. Well, they are supposed too. If you know someplace that doesn't, that may be your way out. Plus the laws require that the devices remain where they were placed by the manufacturer. Moving the close coupled cat. under the car is a violation. If you want to go with the DET, I strongly suggest you check the enviro. laws in your state.
Artem, thanks for the info. With any luck they will be able to help us. Careful with your ECU!
Dromicman, what is your source for the B15 compression ratio? Everything I have seen say it is 9.5:1. Have I missed something?

·
Registered
30 Posts

I was told that the US Spec were 10.1 by a mechanic that had recently cracked one of our engines. He could be wrong, but do we have an independent check of this? I wonder, can the 9/5.1 take a turbo boost? hmmm...

I am talking with some friends of mine and we are toying with an idea to make a kit so that we can pass all regs and enviro's ... we shall see if it works, but I am really excited

·
Registered
347 Posts
if yall need some help i've programmed my share of pic microcontrolers in ASM and C/C++ which cant be to far from the microcontroler in the sentra. I plan on burning a microcontroller to control my Zex instead of using pills for RPM monitoring.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Well, here's a little update on the ECU related issues.
After spending couple of hours today, I have found it. The thing is not in any normal place imaginable. Aparently, to stop people from tempering with ECUs Nissan put ours in the dash, its to the right of the stereo, at about the same level as the head unit itself. Now, I found it by removing the glovebox, the plastic piece that the glovebox fits in, and then reaching with my fingers around all sorts of metal brackets and structural members. You can't get it out this way. I think (its a speculation, however...) that the only way to get at the ECU is by removing the center dash trim (stuff around the stereo). If that doesn't budge, the wholle dash will have to come out.
I have had enough fun for one day, and will take a brake.

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn, that's a lot of work. I say you've earned yourself a couple of beers. I'm too much of a coward to take mine apart like that. I have taken more than one old Buick's dash apart and learned something very important. It's hard to put it back together and have it look as good as it did before being disassembled. Well, at least we know wher it is. Thanks again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts