B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you get springs, you need new shocks and a camber kit.

If you get coilovers, do you need new shocks? If so, how would you adjust them when you raise/lower your car? Or are they built into the coilover and they adjust themselves automatically?

If you get coilovers, do you need a camber kit? If so, what happens if you set it to fix the negative camber of a 3" drop (arbitrary), and you later raise your car to stock height. Will this create positive camber and therefore create uneven wear?

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
azninvazion said:
If you get springs, you need new shocks and a camber kit.

not necessarily a camber kit. depends on the drop (2", etc)

If you get coilovers, do you need new shocks?

depends. true coilover setups come with shortened and revalved shocks. a simple sleeved coilover setup would be recommened to get new shocks/struts.

If so, how would you adjust them when you raise/lower your car? Or are they built into the coilover and they adjust themselves automatically?

coilovers sleeve or slide over shocks, unless the shock bodies themselves are threaded. to get the shocks adjusted, go with adjustable shocks. :D to adjust the coilovers, they "screw" up or down on the threads of the sleeve or shock body, if so equipped.

If you get coilovers, do you need a camber kit?

depends on the drop. if you plan to go up and down, (IE: 1"-4") then i would advise it.

If so, what happens if you set it to fix the negative camber of a 3" drop (arbitrary), and you later raise your car to stock height. Will this create positive camber and therefore create uneven wear?

depends on how much negative camber you use. hope this helps.

·
I am a mother****er
675 Posts
camber kit

When a vehicle is lowered it changes the suspension geometry, most of the time creating more negative camber(tires look like this: / \ from behind or in front). When you have alot of negative camber your car will eat tires, so to combat this, you can get a camber kit that will eliminate some of the negative camber, thus saving your tires. hope this helps.later

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you drop your car a certain amount (usually 2") you get what is called negative camber. basically...Your tires point out like this: /-\ This creates uneven wear on your tires, which requires rapid replacement.

Most people get rims without a drop (makes the car look stupid), Drop the car without shocks (makes the ride bumpy), Install shocks without Camber (tires are getting fucked up), Install cambers and finally realize that they need new tires. They do this because they do not have enough money to get rims, drop, shocks, and cambers at one time. I would recommend drop, shock and fix the cambers all at one time. That will give you enough time to make sure that your cambers are fixed properly (if not, it will **** up the stock tires). Then get rims and tires after you are certain that it was done properly. You save money in the long run.

Question:
1. So there are two kinds of Coil Overs?
2. Do you buy the adjustable shocks separately from the coilover?
3. Can you use regular shocks with coil overs?

Thanks for the info. I feel more enlightened already!

·
Registered
0 Posts
a good rule of thomb.

if you planning on to slam your car (2.5" or more)..you need a camber kit.

otherwise...why waste that money?

and also..if you want to get coilovers...get aftermarket shocks (kyb, tokico..etc) cuz your stock shocks won't be able to take the abuse..

Jeff-

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
azninvazion said:
Question:
1. So there are two kinds of Coil Overs?

basically, more or less. you have the sleeved kind that slides over the shocks(AKA: ground control's kind) and you have the threaded kind where the shock body itself is threaded.(AKA: motivational's kind)

2. Do you buy the adjustable shocks separately from the coilover?

unlkes they are offered as a package deal, then yes.

3. Can you use regular shocks with coil overs?

you can, but not for long. that is if you mean regular as oem. if you use a regular "shortened" shock, it will give you a better ride and longer life. one thing i have learned...tokico's BLOW monkies. really, i've seen it and it's not pretty. poor monkies. :(

Thanks for the info. I feel more enlightened already!
[/B]

·
Registered
268 Posts
oh yea me like....

Where can i find a camber kit for the b15?

·
Former Boosted B15
1,652 Posts
But if your car drops like 1.5, you really don't need a camber kit right?. Unless you dive like a freakin day...

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
So what's the consensus with a B15 dropped on Eibach Sportline's without shock/strut replacement? This is interesting me more and more especially after reading the SCC article on replacing springs and not anything else reduces compression travel, but with purchasing a set of say KYB AGX's, you will regain the much of the stock compression and keep the dampening for a ride much like stock, just lowerer center gravity and better handling.

What do you people think, and are there aftermarket struts/shocks for us yet??

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
Original Mr Sentra said:
So what's the consensus with a B15 dropped on Eibach Sportline's without shock/strut replacement?

I can only speak for myself, but my car will not be lowered in any form until replacement shortened shocks are available.

This is interesting me more and more especially after reading the SCC article on replacing springs and not anything else reduces compression travel, but with purchasing a set of say KYB AGX's, you will regain the much of the stock compression and keep the dampening for a ride much like stock, just lowerer center gravity and better handling.

What do you people think, and are there aftermarket struts/shocks for us yet??

Nope. none yet. your point on suspension travel is right on. whether or not kyb agx's are actually shortened shocks, i couldn't tell you. i would imagine so, or at least valved correctly to act as shorties due to the adjustability. i would bypass the motivational setup for the agx/gc coilover setup since that combo has such rave reviews from the se-r community. i have contacted kyb and there are no shock even in R&D for the b15 at this point. in the words of wes... "those bastages!"

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
BTW, hypoerco has no application for the 2000+ Sentra and appears to have no plans to at this point.

you can scratch them off too.

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Lee said:
BTW, hypoerco has no application for the 2000+ Sentra and appears to have no plans to at this point.

you can scratch them off too.
Hey Lee, did KYB say anything about doing any R&D anytime soon? I've got 5 months left till I leave for a 6 monther, and I would really like to get this setup taken cared of before I go, but I guess when I come back next April, things hopefully will be a bit more avalible for me.

Sorry to go off topic, but as it stands for me, I won't be doing much more engine modding for awile and probably work on more fundamental things that are easily attainable like my stereo. A complete set of KYB AGX's would be very very sweet though..

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Lee said:
no, they didn't mention it at all. sorry. :(
Looks like that will be put on hold, I guess... It's all good though. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts