B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the option of these two cars? I dont have 0-60 on the MP3 but it feels just as quick as the Sentra. It is definitely a better handler with the tricked out suspension and better wheels/tires.

How is the Mazda for mods? reliablity?

I am sort of swaying to the Mazda due to the 6 months of no payments with their graduation program.

I do like the interior of the sentra a little better...the two tone steering wheel isn't so cool on the mp3.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would go with the sentra

I like the sentra better because there are not many mods for mazdas as far as i know the sentra has more horse and is more car for the money but thats just my opinion good luck :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd definatley give the Mazda the advantage over the SE. But I don't believe the SE will be around for very much longer to compete, isn't it being replaced by the base SE-R this fall?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I like the Mazda a lot. Looks great, handles like a monster. Sport Compact Car got a better slalom time with the MP3 than even the Type R!!! It's just not all that fast. Next year, it's rumored that it's going to get forced induction. Downside, the MP3 is a little more expensive. For that price, you can probably get the SE-R...which is a different story.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've read somewhere on the web that the MP3's 280 watt sound system costs around 1200 dollars in the market! I dunno if that's true or not, but I definitely like that 17' rims, those are very nice!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
"2.0L DOHC 16-Valve 4 cylinder Engine (MP3: 140HP/142lb-ft)"

Well I know the engine isnt great when compared to the SE-R's engine, but when compared to the SE, its give and take.

5 less HP, but also has 6 more lb-ft of torque.

But I have to say, as much as the protege and sentra SE where close (but Sentra came out on top for me), same thing will happen when the SE-R comes out.

It will be no competetion.

·
Registered
0 Posts
What the hell are you thinking?

Guys ! you are pretty damn loose ,asking me why? would be blasphemy ,b/c SCC tested the MP3 an it was pretty fat slow compared to the Sentra even the Corolla S still perform better in the 0-60 :D don't believe see for yourself ;)
MP3 0-60 mph time 8.9 sec :eek:
Sentra SE 0-60 mph 7.7 to 7.9 sec :)
SE-R would be in the low to mid 7 seconds
as for the handling I think MP3 had the advantage!

·
Registered
605 Posts
You're on a nissan board. i think you're gonna get biased answers. My opinion? I like the sentra, but I have never driven the MP3. All I know is that nissan could have stiffened some screws in the SE..hehe.

G

·
I'd say the Mazda is the better car, but it also costs more. It should be better. I'd have a hard time believing that the MP3 was that much slower than the other cars listed. It should be close to SE performance. Besides, since when was straight line performance the only means of measuring a cars worth? If it was, we'd all be driving Camaro's right now. But we don't.

BTW, where are you guys finding these MP3 models? My dealer isn't expecting them for a bit. They haven't seen one yet. They don't even have final MSRP pricing as far as I know.

I said it once, and I will say it again. I am very impressed with the new Protege. Especially the Wagon model. If it had been available when I bought my new car, I wouldn't be driving what I am now. ;)

·
Registered
0 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
MP3! MP3!

All the MODS are covered under...

FACTORY WARRANTY!!!

[I think?]

·
Registered
940 Posts
remember, ford build mazda's engine and tranny. it is using the fords 2.0l ZTEC. i is a junk. personally, i am not a ford person. ony ford i would consider buying is buit by cosworth.

get the sentra. althouhg it is assembed in mexico, it has japanese engine and trany. i is a proven engine over a decade long.

be smart, buy [email protected]

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
I have to agree greendot..

I have had many vehicles over the years. The two that screewed me were a '74 Pinto and an '88 Ranger. I shouldn't harbor a grudge for so long, but anyone in my shoes would understand. Believe it or not,I considered buying a Focus. We rented one, one day and my wife who was used to 165 hp Corsica pulled out with a tractor trailer bearing down. It wasn't pretty. The 2.0L couldn't get out of it's own way. After reading more about the Focus and my basic distrust of ford, I came to my senses and bought the Sentra. Also I don't believe that the Mazda engine will be durable because I believe it will require 5W-20 oil to meet fleet gas milage.

Oh, if you like fords, please don't take this personal. It's just my opinion.

·
Registered
0 Posts
racemann said:
MP3! MP3!

All the MODS are covered under...

FACTORY WARRANTY!!!

[I think?]
Yeah,yeah at least you're right in that one ...but you have only 10 hp than the SE protege and little more handling and still doing 8.9 in 0-60 eeeeemmmmmm! :O for $$$ .

PDT:MP3 weights more than 2600 lbs "readed in Sport Compact Car" same as the Sentra SE ,where in the hell Mazda put the mods? :p !Yaaa I know it they put it on the tires ! very,very sticky ones :D .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Protege's engine is the engine that's being used in 626 for many years. Mazda doesn't get any techology from Ford, but Ford does use things from Mazda. Mazda made some incredible engines before taken over by Ford like the millar (sp?) cycle on the 929.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
Mazda has had a few decent engines. My bro drives a '94 MX-3 GS with the 1.8L V-6. Very cool, high-revving (for a V-6) engine. Sounds amazing. I think the Probe GT and the MX-6 used the same 2.5L V-6, too. Again, very sweet sounding engine. I dislike Fords also, but love the looks of the MP3. But I love my SE more than anything.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The protege engine is all Mazda and will remain so for the next couple of years when ford engines will start appearing in them. That day will be a sad shame too, since ford engines aren't exactly the most reliable pieces of machinery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
About Ford's relationship to Mazda:
1) the Protege is 100% mazda designed
2) the 2.0L is not the Ford Zetec, it is a Mazda design. That said, there is nothing wrong with the Ford Zetec, I used to own a ZX2 and that car went very well and got good gas mileage. The only reason I sold it was because I needed a 4 door car.
3) since Ford aquired their 33.3% share of Mazda they have not put a damper on new tech development at Mazda. If anything, they have encouraged it, ever heard of the Renesis? ;)
4) Mazda will not start using Ford designed engines. They, with Ford development $, are developing a new line of 4 cylinder engines that will power future Mazda's and Ford's. The first of these new 4 pot engines is already powering the Ford Ranger/Mazda B-Series.

In terms of build quality, in my experiance the Mazda is built much better. The demo Sentra SE that I drove felt loose, in fact it felt very similar to my 98 ZX2 that I was driving at the time. In comparison the Mazda Protege felt like it was built like a Toyota, in other words, like a tank. Not a single rattle or squeek, plus the doors close with a solid thud.

I would have got the MP3, but I needed a new car sooner rather than later and in Canada we are only getting 250 examples. Each dealer gets one to display for a couple of months then sell to the highest bidder. I really didn't feel like getting in a bidding war over a stinking Protege! ;) So after all that it was 2001 ES GT for me, still waiting for delivery.

Sorry if it seems like I am ragging on your cars, the SR20DE is a great engine, it totally makes the car. However for my money, I decided to trade the better engine for the better car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts