B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my PR CAI and Stomung cat-back exhaust I noticed that I am running noticeably rich, which I would think lowers the efficiency of my car as well as my mpg rating. What I was thinking is that raising my timing to 18 degress would improve detonation so therefore I wouldn't have so much wasted fuel. I'm not exactly an expert on this but what you yall think about it? Am I thinking right?

-iLL

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think it is running rich because of the soot build-up on the exhaust tips....

-iLL

·
Registered
100 Posts
Have you checked the plugs, or are you experiencing fouling? If they're also covered in soot or you're cleaning them all the time, then maybe you're running rich.

How's your gas mileage? Is it really bad (and not just from right foot HP)?

Anybody else notice this?

If anything, I would suspect more of a lean condition based on the fact that there's more air coming into the injection system from the CAI. But I couldn't say for sure.

Perhaps the stocker ignition is weak somewhere, but I'm just throwing that out there. I would start with cheap and easy tests/fixes first.

·
Registered
778 Posts
i have crap milage too ever since i ran my header. this is what i believe is happening.

since the 1st cat is gone, both o2 sensors read the same, dirty. so the MIL light goes in effect. usually you would think its running lean because it senses that theres too much fuel which is causing it to be dirty. but really its running rich because the computer senses something that is WRONG, so it runs in a "safe" mode, which is rich.

kinda doesnt have much to do with illteks problem. i was thinking of either buying fuel stuff like a electric pump and a fuel regulator and/or move the 2nd o2 sensor after my cat(race cat soon). is this a good way to solve this?? if i put it behind the 2nd cat, will it run lean because the 2nd cat cleans more than the 1st original cat? or am i just confusing everyone?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had a ton of soot on my stock exhaust tips, without any
mods at all. It may just be a normal occurrence.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts