B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
14.09 @ 95.53mph!!
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious, if you peel out or really use the LSD are you going to wear it out really easily? The reason I ask is bc I had a '01 SE w/pp and LSD, now I know it was a different LSD than my specv, but after about 8 months it (or something in the tranny area) started to get sluggish?? I mean... when I first got it you could shift to 2nd on full accel and feel an instant grip (or peel) followed by immediate accel in 2nd gear and so on. Then, after a while it got to the point where when you shift hard into 2nd instead of an immediate grip and accel, it seemed that the RPMs dropped about 1/2 an RPM and then the engine caught and went, but it wasnt that crisp immediate connection that I was used to when i first got it...do you think that could be bc the LSD wasnt working and engaging properly? I am just wondering if it could happen to the specv after a while the same way?

...or could it have just been the clutch affecting everything?

·
Registered
76 Posts
i don't know much about differentials, but i do know that the differential in the Spec is a helical type, which is gear driven, so that would be tougher to wear out (if possible) for example the 350z has a viscus(sp) type differential which is a liquid type which will degrade over time, that is the extent of my differential knowledge. so depending on the type of differential thats in your se, it might be easier to "wear out" and i am not sure about any other type of differential.

·
oil leaks blow
2,389 Posts
It's in your head, the tranny will fail (or even wear out) way before the LSD.

Change the fluid, if your worried about it.

·
14.09 @ 95.53mph!!
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well Im not worried, bc I dont have the SE anymore...I am just curious for the sake of my new specv...

·
powershifting through 6th
1,942 Posts
im sure it cannot "wear" out...I mean its a differential, its not tires right?

I am not an expert nor do i claim it, but when i read up on LSD it made sense that i would not wear out...

You should be more worried about the qr25 engine dying at 30k miles than the differential

·
Endless USA S13 Silvia
3,084 Posts
differentials can and will wear just like any other part of a car........however......the amount of time it would take for a helical lsd to wear is so long that you have nothing to worry about in the Spec.......the reason a viscous lsd looses its ability to transfer torque is b/c after an extended period of time without changing the fluid in the diff.......the viscous fluid start to degrade.......when it starts to degrade it looses its ability to hold torque and needs to be changed.......we don't have to worry about that with the Spec b/c thank god nissn got their sh it right with the diff and put in a helical lsd which is gear driven and is not prone to degredation like a viscous limited slip

Late,
Daniel

·
powershifting through 6th
1,942 Posts
how does it wear out though? im just curious....if you can explain what wears out..

thanks in advance

·
14.09 @ 95.53mph!!
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for that answer...that could definatel explain it... so maybe they never serviced it like they were supposed to (at the dealership) so over time it got to the point that it just couldnt hold the same way anymore...?

·
Endless USA S13 Silvia
3,084 Posts
OVO........a viscous limited slip has this goo inside the diff and when it heats up it locks up and transfers the torque to the wheels........well overtime if not changed properly the viscous......follow this link for a very good explanation of a viscous limited slip http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential9.htm.....this should explain everything for you better than anybody here on the boards can;)

Late,
Daniel

·
Premium Member
5,875 Posts
Sunburst03 said:
OVO........a viscous limited slip has this goo inside the diff and when it heats up it locks up and transfers the torque to the wheels........well overtime if not changed properly the viscous......follow this link for a very good explanation of a viscous limited slip http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential9.htm.....this should explain everything for you better than anybody here on the boards can;)

Late,
Daniel
Ahhh, how nice to see a good informational post! ;)

Thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
It also could have been your clutch wearing out after all those burn outs

·
14.09 @ 95.53mph!!
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well...AS I SAID...I dont own the 2001 Sentra SE anymore I have a 2004 SE-R now...but that sounds like that was probably it...thanks for all the good info

·
You guys are dangerous
837 Posts
No worry about an HLSD. It's all mechanical, there are no wear parts like a clutch type. If your HLSD fails, you will be breaking teeth off of gears.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts