B15 Sentra Forum banner

Low end grunt on a 2001 SR20DE??

2K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  BodeB15 
#1 ·
I've done a bunch of searches on this website but still can't find a cheap way to get more low end torque :( . I have most of the basic bolt on upgrades you can do:
1. AEM CAI
2. HS header
3. HKS exhaust

Car now goes like gang busters at 4k RPM's (fricken turboish) but no more low end and I'm killing my clutch.

Anyone know of any upgrades that aid low end torque. I know there's just so much you can do with 2000CC's (2 liter).

#3 ·
All you're upgrades are to aid top-end power. I found that if you shorten your CAI to a conventional intake that you get more throttle response on the low-end (as compared to the CAI). Of course, doing this takes away the effect of the CAI.

You could try advancing the timing out to 19 deg. I've heard nothing but positive responses.

#5 ·
Sentrase00 said:
No real need for adjustable cam sprockets on an SR20 but if you mean camshafts....no...that will kill low-end torque even more depending on which manu. Tomei street grind shafts will keep the low-end about the same but the JWT S3 will not aid low-end torque.

If I remember correctly the SCC dyno of the AEBS 4-1 header, surprisingly, put out more low-end torque. Weird for a 4-1 header but I guess it's a good design.

#14 ·
when doing the timing advance you have to slip off the belt right? and exactly HOW does the timing gun allow you to know where the timing is set at
EDIT: more low end torque would do wonders for the sr20 especially us with auto trannies..maybe we could make up for all of the torque lost thru the tq convertor

#16 ·
FuLIsh said:
when doing the timing advance you have to slip off the belt right? and exactly HOW does the timing gun allow you to know where the timing is set at
No, you loosen two bolt on the distributer (black thing on the drivers side of the motor). You then aim the timing light at the top of the crank pulley on the passengers side of the motor. You will see a peg comming out of the motor, and there will be notches/timing marks on the pulley itself. The number of taiming marks will be different depending on what type of pulley you have.

#18 ·
i was always hesitant to try it cuz i was never really convinced i would see any gain from it with my auto tranny. the best setting for the sr20 would be 19* right? and use premium gas

EDIT: should i advance before or after my CAI install or does it not matter?

#21 ·
nis.k.a. said:
No real need for adjustable cam sprockets on an SR20
This is wrong.

There have been many power improvements from adjusting individual cam timing with JWT cam gears. Might not be much improvement on stock camshafts, but with aftermarket cams, you bet your @ss you'll find some more power.

#22 ·
FuLIsh said:
i was always hesitant to try it cuz i was never really convinced i would see any gain from it with my auto tranny. the best setting for the sr20 would be 19* right? and use premium gas

EDIT: should i advance before or after my CAI install or does it not matter?
i did the timing advance on my car and its an auto. You can def. feel it

#24 ·
NiceGuy said:
This is wrong.

There have been many power improvements from adjusting individual cam timing with JWT cam gears. Might not be much improvement on stock camshafts, but with aftermarket cams, you bet your @ss you'll find some more power.
Of course you'll find some but it's free to move the stock timing. IMO it's not worth buying and installing adjustable sprockets. The gain dosen't justify the time IMO.

But.....to each his own.

#25 ·
nis.k.a. said:
Of course you'll find some but it's free to move the stock timing. IMO it's not worth buying and installing adjustable sprockets. The gain dosen't justify the time IMO.

But.....to each his own.
Mike Kojima did a good write up on JWT sprockets and C3 cams in his low buck DE motor. You'd be surprised how much better he claimed the car ran, and how much more power he got out of it with the adjustable sprockets. They're almost a MUST HAVE when going with a cam that large.

Even Jay Hass found some hidden power in the less aggressive S5 cams by only tuning the cam timing.

You are underestimating the importance of proper cam timing, maybe you should research it a bit more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.