B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After owning my car for a year, I decided to clean the in cabin air filter (aka 'microfilter'). The amount of dirt that came out blew me away. With the emptied filter the AC flows so much more air, and cools the car down much faster. The operation took less then five minutes and requires no tools. If you call the dealer for this they will quote half an hour labor to do this.
I suggest anyone who doesn't have this gadget in their Sentra (any new Sentra) - get it. The filter isn't expensive, and you don't have to buy it often (I've used mine for a year and plan to use it more).

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Isn't it behind the glove box??

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as cleaning goes, you can just tap it to break loose any dirt untill it looks clean enough. Most of the dirt just sits there on the top side of it (the air goes through top to bottom).

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Good call Artem, I just got mine this morning. So, no tools required to install one of these bad boys? I think I'm going to put that in right now. :D

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No tools are needed, you just kind of pry the glove box out to get access. Its really easier once you look at it.

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Artem said:
No tools are needed, you just kind of pry the glove box out to get access. Its really easier once you look at it.
Yeah, you're right, it was pretty easy. I swear, I had the AC on while I was doing it, and I put my hand there and I wish I already had a filter in there. Doh, what was I thinking?? :D

Note: Everyone get a microfilter! Hehe....

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Artem..

Maybe I misssed something. Did you replace the element or just shake the dirt off??

·
Registered
383 Posts
where's a good place to pick one up? Can I find it at a Pep Boys or only at the dealer? Thanx

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
NYC_MiKee said:
where's a good place to pick one up? Can I find it at a Pep Boys or only at the dealer? Thanx
I believe you can only get one from the dealership, but I can imagine if you get the same material, that you can make your own and use it instead of paying 47 dollars for one. Not sure how much effort that would take. :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Original Mr Sentra said:

I believe you can only get one from the dealership, but I can imagine if you get the same material, that you can make your own and use it instead of paying 47 dollars for one.
My grandmother can whip up a tablecloth in an afternoon no problem...I wonder if I asked her to make me an in-cabin microfilter what the look on her face would be? :confused: <- yep, thats it :D

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
NYC_MiKee said:

My grandmother can whip up a tablecloth in an afternoon no problem...I wonder if I asked her to make me an in-cabin microfilter what the look on her face would be? :confused: <- yep, thats it :D
Hey what's your grandma's address so I can send her out a check so she can make me one when she's doing yours :D

·
Registered
3,122 Posts

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm a little confused by some of your guys wording. Does our car come with the micro filter already and you guys are just buying a new one or do some cars not have it? I've got an SE w/o PP. Thanks.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most cars come without it. You have to get it separately and install, which is pretty simple. Getting it from the dealer is fun though. They look at you like 'what the hell does he want one of those on the sentra for?!'
Just remember, we are made up of what we eat, drink and breathe.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Installation Instructions and Tips

Could one of you experienced guys post installation instructions and tips as to how to install this in-cabin microfilter. Also, this filter can be installed on a GXE, right? Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Artem said:
Most cars come without it. You have to get it separately and install, which is pretty simple. Getting it from the dealer is fun though. They look at you like 'what the hell does he want one of those on the sentra for?!'
Just remember, we are made up of what we eat, drink and breathe.
So is the answer to my question "does the 2000 SE w/o PP come with an in cabin micro-filter" NO? Thats all I needed to hear. I'm putting in an order at courtesy soon and that caught my eye. Thanks.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
None of our cars came with it- we had to buy it afterwards.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Duh:
the install tips have been posted. In short, you get out the glove box (that's simple - open it and wiggle it side to side, the hinge will unhook). Behind the glove box you see the A/C duct. There's a small door in it(plastic flap that says "open" or something). The filter goes there.

Happy trials.
Oh yes, the glove box damper (the thing that keeps it opening smoothly) is connected to the box by a cable. Be sure to unscrew it before dropping the glovebox.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts