B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need your help on this...
live in nyc but im planning on driving down to miami in my sentra at the end of the week. just to be on the safe side, i was wondering what are some things i should check on the car before i venture off on my 2500+ mile trip to florida? (00 auto se, 50k)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Make sure to do an oil change b4 anything, check tire pressure, check engine coolant, check tranny oil, check power steering fluid, and dont forget to have a full tank of washer fluid cuz ur sure as hell gonna need it for all those bugs thats gonna be on ur windsheild.

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i had my oil changed at 48500k ish now i got like 49300. its got castrol synthetic blend in there thats not supposed to be changed out till like 52k so i was gonna do the oil change when i get back. the tranny fuild is still good its like halfway between new and dark brown but im gonna try to drain it myself (if only i knew how). anything else i gotta check?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Make sure your spare and tire wear is up to date too, keep some spare water in the truck and one of those portable jumper packs are always useful

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i replaced my tires at 48k but i installed my springs like 3 weeks ago so i havent gotten aligned yet. i dont get any wheel rubbing at all and theres plenty of space between the fender and the wheel so i dont think theres uneven tire wear but ill take off the tire and check.
also, for the tranny fluid, i just have to drain and fill? its that simple? theres no tranny filter? i dont have ramps so i think ill jack the front up and use my jackstands.

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
draining seems simple and i know i gotta replace the same amount that came out but where do i put in the new fluid? does it go where the dipstick is or somewhere else? i keep hearing about a filler plug but cant you also add it where the dipstick is?

·
Registered
341 Posts
As I have made many long trips in the past two years (GA-TX +2,000 miles round trip, not counting the mileage I drive in each state while there!) I have made a checklist for myself before leaving. And here it is:

1 - Check all FLUIDS : oil (change change change!) tranny, coolant, power steering, washer fluid
1a - make sure to take a little of all fluids with you (oil, coolant, water, etc). Since you're going south through GA, you're likely going into long stretches of road where there is NOTHING. And better safe than sorry.

2 - Check TIRES: pressure, tread depth, alignment.
2a - CHECK THE SPARE TIRE!! Most people never look at 'em. But they CAN go flat sitting in the back of your car, and a spare tire is useless if it's flat!
2b - Make sure you actually have all the parts necissary to jack the car up! Sounds stupid I know, but I have, in the past, taken the tire iron out (for cleaning, etc) and forgotten to put it back in. And the stealership sold my parents a Sentra WITHOUT ONE AT ALL!!! A FLAT spare tire is even more useless if ya can't get the car off the ground.

3 - Have a small TOOL CHEST! Or something similar. Just make sure you have enough tools when the s**t hits the fan (wrenches, screwdrivers, etc) This one can really save ya. As some of you may remember, I have had many problems on my Houston to Atlanta (and back) treks. All of which could have been easily fixed with basic tools. But insted I ended up staying at a hotel, and paying some back-water shop $$$$ to fix a minor problem.

4 - Other Items. Take food, water, basic first aid stuff, eye drops, anything that you can think you MAY need. If ya take it with you, you can be driving instead of stopping to get it on the way. Especially water. Slugging it can help keep you awake/alert if driving at night. Energy drings are a NO-NO unless it's an XS. Everything else is just basically sugar water, and will make ya feel like crap later on.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
There was just a thread on this in the last few day-I looked/searched and couldn't find it.

Yea all the fluids, and tires checked-maybe a new radiator cap. (Stant #11227). Look for any drops of coolant under the car for the next couple of days. You are fine with the oil. Trips are so easy on the oil you can easily go double your miles on oil change.

Go to WalMart/Kmart and get a funnel with a long skinney end (funnel length about 10" long and 4 inches or so in diameter. You fill it at the dipstick tube.

Get the car warm and drain it. Almost exactly one gallon will come out (within a few ounces) It would be good to measure it but I can almost garantee it. Put the same amount back in. It might be a good idea to check the level before draining. there is a detailed procedure in doing itinfo is in the manual. Ask here if you need clarification.

Biggest danger is not car breaking down-much more likely (possible) is accident. Drive safe-thats the most important thing. :)

·
She was so young...
254 Posts
If you don't mind your car looking a little funny, tape saran wrap or some kind of plastic wrap to your front bumper and mirrors. That way when you get to Florida you will not have to powerwash your car to get all the bugs and stuff off. All those bug juices can break down your clearcoat and unless you can scrub your car within a day or two after your trip, they are gonna be a pita to get off.

·
Registered
99 Posts
What else? Hmmm...

Everyone's listed just about everythihng that you'll probably need to take / check.

My addition would be check your wiper blades and replace if necessary. Having a clear view of the road is a must in a downpour, especially at night. If you need to purchase any new windshield washer fluid, consider one of the RainX products which apply it's 'water beading' formula to the windows whenever you use it. Check all or your lights (head lights, fog lights, back up, brake, as well as your third brake light).

Cell phone battery and accessories, good tunes, tire pressure gauge, radar detector (remember illegal in Virginia).

Enjoy the trip.

-KurticusGT-

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow you guys are great..its raining today so looks like i gotta put off the tranny drain till tomorrow. ill be driving down with my brother so ill have help driving. ive driven down to FL many times but this is the first time im actually doing it myself. ill go to autozone later today and pick up the extra coolant, tranny fluid, and the rain x. oh and about the clearcoat- lol..thats funny. the paint job sucks anyway maybe it will be an excuse for me to repaint it.

oh one more thing..which fluid thats sold at autostores are for our cars and have the gl4 or less rating i believe? (ex, mobile1, castrol, valvoline..etc)

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
oh one more thing..which fluid thats sold at autostores are for our cars and have the gl4 or less rating i believe? (ex said:
You have an auto-its Dextron III or III+.

If you haven't changed it yet just get any brand except the store brand. I believe they carry Aamco as I recall-thats O.K. I wouldn't put in the Mobil 1 ATF until you have done a couple of drain and fills Its too expensive). When you drain and fill that gets you a little better than half of the fluid. Almost half stays in the torque converter. But one drain and fill is cool. Don't overtighten the drain plug-and you don't need to replace the gasket.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
taylor04 said:
If you don't mind your car looking a little funny, tape saran wrap or some kind of plastic wrap to your front bumper and mirrors. That way when you get to Florida you will not have to powerwash your car to get all the bugs and stuff off. All those bug juices can break down your clearcoat and unless you can scrub your car within a day or two after your trip, they are gonna be a pita to get off.
Instead of that, you can spray on Pam (non-stick cooking spray) on all areas on the front of your car that'll be exposed to bug splatter...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an '02 spec, so when I go on a long trip I put a 55 galloon drum of oil in the trunk and hit the road........ :eek:

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
uh..if you say so lol...well the rain let up and i decided to let the tranny oil drain and holy crap..i didnt expect that the oil was THAT bad. i check it from time to time with the dip stick but it didnt look THAT brown as compared to the drained fluid. honestly i must say the drained fluid was almost becoming blackish. good thing i did it now.

wanna guess which is old and which is new?

after jacking the car up and letting it drain the total amount of fluid that came out was exactly one gallon(i used a milk jug for the old fluid). i replaced back a little less than a gallon (like 3 3/4 quarts)cuz the new fluid was cold. i checked the dipstick with the new fluid and it is like a hair higher than the part on the dipstick that you measure the fluid amount. is that a problem? i was gonna dry loosening the bolt and let a few drops come out. its not THAT much but im just wondering.

edit:btw i used castrol dexron III/mercron ($2.39 a quart) im gonna try to replace the other half of the fluid by repeating the process at the end of the week. should i get the castrol synthetic version? is it worth is? (50k miles- auto SE)

·
Registered
842 Posts
The most important thing is a AAA membership. It's worth the price just for the maps alone. They'll plot the whole trip for you and give you 20 maps of every state and city on your trip. Be sure to ask them for maps of your home town, too (and when you wear out your maps...holes at the corner form folding 100 times...go some some more for free).

And, if you need a tow or lock your keys in your car...they'll take care of it.

Do It.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts