B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok boys & girls....I've got an admittedly stupid question for the manual transmission SE people. The curiosity is burning a hole through my brain. A Subaru with AWD can navigate dirt easily, but a front drive car is very prone to getting stuck in soft sand. Question is, can a Sentra SE with the Viscous LSD handle a little bit of off-roading? Nothing crazy, but could it navigate soft sand and uneven surfaces?

·
Registered
250 Posts
VLSD

I can't vouch for the VLSD-equipped Sentra SE's performance in soft sand and uneven surfaces, but the VLSD in my '95 200SX SE-R does allow me to navigate the snowy and icy roads in Minnesota with a bit more confidence.

However, I'd have second thoughts about taking my SE off-roading anytime soon...

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Well I dont know if it would be good for professinal off-roading.

But I took mine to the country this weekend, and lots of fun in the small mountain roads, and when I hit the dirty roads, WOOOAAA.

IT was fun, slow down, turn wheel, floor the gas, *** went sliding, front drove on and everything gripped and followed like it should.

Good thing I still have my firestones for that, cause I dont think something like the Kumos wouldve had much grip in the dirt and gravel.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
I've owned a number of limited slips over the years and although those I've owned were somewhat better in snow, the difference was not earth shaking. Admittedly they were all RWD. Front wheel drive would be better. What is likely to happen is that ground clearance will kill you. All you need is one wheel to dig in a little and you are screwed. Dry sand is real ugly-keep a towing #handy on your cell phone. :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everybody. I was just curious. I needed to know if I could get away from some hick in his 4x4 in the backwoods. I can't imagine this ever happening....but you never know.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Sorry, I would take a 4x4 in he sand any day over my sentra. Then again, I would take my sentra on any flat road over a 4x4 f-150 (except the lightning)!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts