B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 GXE

I'm going to do the first oil change and have access to a lift. What points under the car are good points to lift by? The pinch welds?

I looked under this morning and notices 2 brackets behind the front wheels?

Thanks
--Dave

·
Registered
150 Posts
ask Nissan's service dept.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I'm not trying to act like an *** here but It's just really funny how people are really affraid to open up their oner's manuals...It shows you where to jack it up.....Just look at your index under Flat Tire and it'll show you exactly where the jacking points are....

Once again I am not trying to sound like an ***...Sorry if it sounds that way..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No offense taken.....

I saw the lift points in the owners manual but there are other points to use when using a garge lift. I know this because I have the service manuals for my older Stanzas

That's when the manual cost $45.... I can't afford the $250 plus for the 2001 manual

--Dave

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Don't they just usualy use the frame?

·
Registered
605 Posts
If you're using jackstands, then you don't want to use the same points as the manual says. on the SE, there is a flat section with a little ditch in it, right behind the front wheels, I used that. If you're talking about using your stock jack, then there is a little notch right under the driver's door, a little to the front. Just position the jack right around that notch.

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
take a look

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
David: Excellent diagram...where is it from??? Any idea where you can get those rubber thingys for the car stands?

·
Registered
89 Posts
so I guess I can jack/put stands anywhere within those circles? I am a newbie at this too and will be attempting it for the first time this weekend to change oil... no heckling from the peanut gallery please ;-)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Jack Stand Instructions...

I have done so many jacking up's and down's on my B15 so my word might mean something to you.

DON'T use the "safety" jack points around the wheels that were designed for road-side flat changes, because when you use a garage lift, ALL the weight of the car rests on those puny little points and it WILL bend the rail...you use those points in emergencies since when you jack up ONE corner of the car and the other three side are still on the ground and the weight of the car resides on the wheels and springs that are still on the ground.

If you look under the car, behind the front wheel, where the lower control arm-ties into the front sub frame, there is a steel block w/a bushing inside. THATS YOUR FRONT LIFT POINT...

Use those bushing blocks for jack stand points as well.

If you use a floor jack, make sure you got a good wide piece of plywood to not crunch the undercoating off your car.

You can safely jack up your car by positioning your jack right on the center line of your car from the front, with the jack inserted almost all the way in. So meaning when you are ready to pump, all you see is your jack handle. Your Jack pad should contact the lateral bar that ties the sub-frame to the front cross member of the chasis. You want to contact the jack as close to the sub-frame as possible. That frame will hold, believe me, I broke the frame already and its pretty god-damn strong...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Re: Jack Stand Instructions...

KICK *** MATT said:
I have done so many jacking up's and down's on my B15 so my word might mean something to you.

DON'T use the "safety" jack points around the wheels that were designed for road-side flat changes, because when you use a garage lift, ALL the weight of the car rests on those puny little points and it WILL bend the rail...you use those points in emergencies since when you jack up ONE corner of the car and the other three side are still on the ground and the weight of the car resides on the wheels and springs that are still on the ground.

If you look under the car, behind the front wheel, where the lower control arm-ties into the front sub frame, there is a steel block w/a bushing inside. THATS YOUR FRONT LIFT POINT...

Use those bushing blocks for jack stand points as well.

If you use a floor jack, make sure you got a good wide piece of plywood to not crunch the undercoating off your car.

You can safely jack up your car by positioning your jack right on the center line of your car from the front, with the jack inserted almost all the way in. So meaning when you are ready to pump, all you see is your jack handle. Your Jack pad should contact the lateral bar that ties the sub-frame to the front cross member of the chasis. You want to contact the jack as close to the sub-frame as possible. That frame will hold, believe me, I broke the frame already and its pretty god-damn strong...
For those of us who are just getting under the car for the first time ever, I thought I would bring this thread back & ask some questions that I should have asked before I jacked my car up wrong like I did today. :) Anyways, from the advice of a neighbor I jacked my car up by the triangular thing just behind the wheel and toward the center which has 3 bolts on it. After I got it up, I put a jackstand under the Y-bar I believe its called. Basically its the thing that is connected to the wheel and has a curved shape. My question is basically was this an alright way to jack the car up, OR should I follow the above procedure in the future, (jacking it up from the center of the car from the front) as I seriously scared myself half to death when I heard some creacks & groans from the metal :)

Anyone who could give a beginning to end description of jacking the car up and bring it back down without messing anything up would be greatly appreciated...I have no idea what he was tryin' to say in that last sentence :confused:

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
NYC

I've been crawling under cars for lots and lots of years. I will never crawl under a car supported with jacks alone. I'll jack it and use oak blocks as a backup. If you dont do this-well -read the newspapers and you'll find about someone who didn't use a backup. Jack stands are OK - I guess. Best is the ramp. "Rhino Ramps" by Blitz are the best I've seen. They support 12,000 lbs and they won't slip when you drive up 'em. If I need to remove the wheel and work on the brakes or shocks etc. I'll jack it and still use a backup. Just don't take any chances.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Re: NYC

adc100 said:
I've been crawling under cars for lots and lots of years. I will never crawl under a car supported with jacks alone. I'll jack it and use oak blocks as a backup. If you dont do this-well -read the newspapers and you'll find about someone who didn't use a backup. Jack stands are OK - I guess. Best is the ramp. "Rhino Ramps" by Blitz are the best I've seen. They support 12,000 lbs and they won't slip when you drive up 'em. If I need to remove the wheel and work on the brakes or shocks etc. I'll jack it and still use a backup. Just don't take any chances.

is a 2 ton jack more then safe to lift our cars? or should i haul out the xtra cash for a 3ton?

btw i'm plannin on buying a ramp/jackstand combo kit since they aren't too expensive...

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
wow talk about bringing a old post back to life.

Yes a 2 ton jack is plenty. Remember you are only lifting up a portion of the car and the car weighs no where near 2 tons.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Does our whole car even weigh 2 tons?

Be careful when lifting from the front center point. I have windnoise now from the front windshield. Nissan is going to fix it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
hehe yeah this thread IS old...anyway thanks i'm gonna go ahead with the 2ton deal...i think i'm gonna try the plywood technique when using the front lift way.....

·
SHIFT_my nuts
1,862 Posts
hey just some friendly advice from a guy that was quite discouraged, make sure the floor jack you get can reach the height of the jackstands (or get smaller jackstands...dunno if they really come in multiple sizes).

The only reason i would consider a 3 ton or 2.5 ton floorjack is because those are the ones they start making those larger jack arms on. Or make sure that you get a brand that makes the huge shop-size floor jacks. I was pretty annoyed when the floorjack i got reached its max height and the dumb jackstands needed at least another 2 inches to get the car on top of them. !$$!#[email protected]#[email protected]$

in any case, for under the car stuff, i like the roll-ups anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts