B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took my Spec to the dealership on Friday, 8/20/04 to get some warranty work done on it. I had been hearing loud knocking sounds almost like a diesel engine on a cold start for about a week, and then even more knocking and rattling could be heard at idle and while driving around town.

When I called them Friday morning my local dealership told me to bring it by right away. They took it in very quickly, set me up with a rental, and told me they would work on it and get back to me as soon as possible.

They have been keeping me pretty well informed that they have been actively working on narrowing down the issue, and finally today told me that they'd ordered a new engine for me. They narrowed the noise down to rod knocking, but beyond that they couldn't figure it out.

This is a 2004 Spec V with about 13500 miles on it. I'm not sure if this is a freak occurance or a common problem, but thought I'd post it here in case others might be experiencing the same thing.

I'll let you all know how things progress. In the meantime, I'm enjoying driving the Prius rental that Enterprise set me up with.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so I finally got my Spec back at the end of last week, with a brand new long block.

The paperwork stated that the mechanics suspected that rod bearings on cylinders 1 and 2 had come loose, so they went ahead and replaced the whole thing. Took about 2 weeks to get the engine from Japan and have it installed.

It's running better now than it did when I first bought it. Well, time to slowly break her in ... again. ;-)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I do use the highest octane gas I can get...91 here in California.

The engine was using regular oil not synthetic...it was still in a breakin period, I had planned on switching to synthetic at 15000. Guess I get to start over again. ;-)

All in all it wasn't a bad experience, I would much rather have the engine fail early on during the warranty period instead of going at 1 day past 3 years.

Hopefully this will be it and now I can just enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Break-in my @$$.... drive the fcuk out of that car, land them rings nice and good like

·
I have parts for sale!
1,030 Posts
funny funny... just make sure to do your oil changes, and i suggest even switching to synthetic at 10k instead.

As for the synthetic, do some research on some of the best ones, not just anything that says synthetic or is highly advertised... look into some research and testing done with them.. Try ASMOil, Redline, Mobil 1, or another top brand and get wear comparisons... a great lubricant goes a loong way ;) and will give you more satisfaction...

·
I have parts for sale!
1,030 Posts
How old are you nitestryker? Also tell me a bit about yourself, I'm curious. Since your new to the board anyways, you can introduce us to u ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts