B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
ociffer i'm fine
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the forum and come up with several threads with guys having this problem. Now mine's a little bit different.

I have the QG18. Today in the morning i noticed a noise that sounds much like a diesel engine. So i drove it around a little and noticed that under any acceleration the noise would increase.

On an unrelated note I have had the power steering belt replaced and adjusted 3 times and it was still making the infamous squeeking noise.

So i decided to take the car to the dealership to check out the problems. I tell the guy what the problems are and he takes my keys...5 mins later he comes back and tells me they're going to replace the power steering belt again but they don't have it in stock so I should come back monday. I ask him about the knocking sound, and he tells me it's probably not serious and that they'll check it out when i come for my belt.

Now from some of the stories this could be rod knocking....and now i'm worried...

And o4SpecV's gonna get another engine because of a similar problem!
And i'm fresh out of warranty :(

Now my question...should i drive the car untill monday, i mean if it is the rod knocking can i do serious (...i mean even more) damage to the rest of the engine?

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
do you feel anything in the pedal, i.e. any feel accompanying the knocking? what fuel are you using....and how many miles on the car, check the spark plugs?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Your powertrain warranty should still be up unless you passed it by mileage...and yes driving while a rod knock is occuring can hurt the engine more then it is now, either way it if is a rod knock you'll need a new short block or a complete rebuild if damage isn't to bad.

·
ociffer i'm fine
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no vibrations or knocking from the pedal, 20k on the car, 87 octane and no...i will in about 15 minutes

·
ociffer i'm fine
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, spark plugs are in good condition...and yes clout u're right....at least i have that little comfort.

well if you guys have any ideas about checking something out myself before i take it in on monday, speak up

·
Endless USA S13 Silvia
3,084 Posts
in all honesty.......there really isn't a whole lot you can do in terms of checking things yourself........also.....if you can.......don't even drive it to the dealership.....have it towed in........if you drive a car with rod knock......and its bad enough or it gets bad enough you could end up with a picture window in your block:eek:......and nobody wants that;).......really all you can do is sit tight until the dealer checks it out

Late,
Daniel

·
ociffer i'm fine
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well seeing as its the weekend no real need for the car so i'll just let the dealer check it out on monday and i might arrange to have it towed...i'll keep you guys informed...

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Make sure your oil change records are up to date and there is oil in the thing. :)

·
ociffer i'm fine
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no problems there i keep her nice and lubed at all times :D

so far every 4000 miles, i dont use synthetic oil but then again i don't drive it too hard to be in need of that.

·
ociffer i'm fine
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the richmond automall one

·
Registered
40 Posts
This definitely sounds like the same problem I was having. When I talked to the dealership, they said they spent a day trying to pinpoint the why's and where's, but since it was pretty clear that it was rod knocking they decided to just replace the engine, rather than spend any more time troubleshooting it.

It sucks that the dealership mechanic said that the knocking wasn't serious, especially after a five minute test drive. Any knocking sounds have the potential to be extremely serious, and he should have had you in a rental while they checked things out a little more thoroughly.

20k miles should still keep her under warranty for this problem. I'd double check with the dealership and really get them to take a look at it.

Best luck to you. Keep us in the loop.

- o4SpecV

PS BTW I'm still waiting on the engine, and they are still paying for my rental car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts