B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
King of OT
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a b12, but I haven't had a response in the other board yet. I seem to have an engine sound, but I don't know what it is. My timing is not advanced as far as I know. I have a 90 b12 with 130,000 on it. When I am in 3rd 4th or 5th and slam on the gas, I have this crackling sound, but it goes away after about 2000rpn. I can't tell if it is something rattling or not because I am driving the car. It only happens when I accelerate, not when my speed is continuous. A knock or ping would make noise all the time correct? Does anyone have any ideas? Just figuered I'd add....I've been driving the car like this for the past 24,000 miles, so if it was a knock/ping problem the engine should be dead shouldn't it?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm not sure what it could be, I always thought that it was a ping b.c. my moms '87 Camry does the same thing. Makes the rattleling noise when you accelerate.

·
King of OT
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Due to the age of the car, it might just be a dirty fuel system. i bought the car used 3 years ago, and I have not advanced the timing myself. unless the timing as deviated over the years, or the previous user changed it, but I doubt it, all I can think of is a dirty fuel system. I used to get wicked bad gas mileage before I started using fuel cleaners. Only other thing I could think of is clogged valves, but then again I would think the sound would happen all the time since they are opening all the time, not just during acceleration.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts