B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im making pods for the kick panels for 4 inch mids when i get my 3ways, and im doing the passenger side first. i have the frame finished and attached to my old kick panel, and the way it is aimed, the speaker is aiming directly at my neck, kind of, like right beneath straight eye level when i look at it. is that aim pretty good? it only protrudes about 2 7/8", so is that adequate???

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I'd imagine you would want to aim it between the two seats in the front, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'll agree with 2001 SE 2, but just a tad bit lower than the dome light, but in dead center is awesome, so you'll have your staging correct.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Use string to get them aimed how you want. Dont eyeball it, you'll be way off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you're able to delay/advance the speakers than I would aim straight.

If not and you prodominantly drive by yourself I would aim it at your right ear and the driver side at your left ear. Though aiming dead center makes things symmetrical (and truly equal distance) you can't take full advantage because you don't listen to your music sitting in the between the two front seats. Aiming to your ear from each kick panel isn't going to be that far off.

IMO (and a lot of other people I talk too), when tuning your stereo the driver is the only person that matters.

·
OT Whore
4,411 Posts
Uh, that makes no sense. If you aren't able to use time delay, aiming both straight at your ears would sound ridiculous. The pax side would be horribly timed and the imaging would be horrid.

·
OT Whore
4,411 Posts
I guess I just don't see it, kick panels don't seem to be any more equadistant than stock mounts. You move them lower, both get slightly farther away. The true gain of the kickpanel mount is the ability to properly aim them. Stock mounts don't allow you to aim them at all, without building spacers with an angle... and then you're not talking about stock mounting at all, are you?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it doesnt really matter, the whole distance thing, cuz the HU im getting is the pioneer 9600, it has timimg in it, so im not worried about it. the only problem i see is the drivers side, im going to have to recess the speaker all the way, to keep my dead pedal.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
kickpods means no dead pedal most of the time, it's something you're going to have to sacrifice for good sound

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i think since i am using 4" mids in them , i might be able to get the recessed enough to keep it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
DevlynSyde said:
I guess I just don't see it, kick panels don't seem to be any more equadistant than stock mounts. You move them lower, both get slightly farther away. The true gain of the kickpanel mount is the ability to properly aim them. Stock mounts don't allow you to aim them at all, without building spacers with an angle... and then you're not talking about stock mounting at all, are you?
They don't seem big but the biggest difference is the speaker closest to the person (i.e.- driver kick to driver ear). The stock location can be under 30" (driver side) and above 40" on the pass. side. Effective kick panels can bring the distances within 5in. of each other.

basshead - good to hear you have timing in your HU.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The general aiming method is to aim the driver's kick 6 inches in front of the passenger's head and vice versa for the other side, of course like i said this is the "general" method. You can alter it a little or leave it alone......

I used this method to make mine and i'm very pleased with the aiming, the sound stage is the same height as when i had 2-way components with the tweets next to the door handles but the stage got a little wider and definately more detailed. Vocals are phenomenal.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thats looks cool, man. i think the one i have done so far is aimed exactly like that. they definitely wont stick out that far, im gonna recess them alot.

·
Registered
966 Posts
with the angle i used, that's about as much as i could've recessed them. Either the passenger mid would hit that little electrical box behind the kick, or the edge around the tweeter would hit the door panel when they close. I could've recessed the driver's side a good bit more bit i wanted both sides to be the same.......

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well, i removed that little box and stuck it back up by the in car micro-filter thingy. and i dont really car if they look identical. im having them fiberglassed when im done, then covered in black c/f vinyl, so i think they will look awesome whether they are the same or not. the only down side is that i will not have that little rod sticking out of the panel into the sheet metal for stability, but im sure i can think of something. btw, the tweeter are staying up in the doors, i like the imaging i get that way.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well, i moved it more towards the door, aimed it higher, and ill be damned if its not near as close to perfect as possible with out being dead on. but i have a question before i start on the drivers side. the way it is now, the mounting plane of the of the kick panel is lined up with the door grille in a way kinda similar to this: _/ bottom line is the door grille, and the back slash is the kick plane. im just shooting in the dark, and i want to ensure that this will be done perfect and right the first time. my question is, will that in way screw up the sound? i mean is there some obscure theory about mounting angles and what not that i dont know about? just wanna be sure, cuz it looks bad *****, at least it will when its glassed and covered. thanks for all your opinions and help, btw. i appreciate it. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts