B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a problem with my key getting stuck in the ignition. It turns, starts, turns off but won't come out. I've jiggled it and messed with it, but still, it won't come out. Is there any solution other than replacing the lock cylinder??

$150.00 @ NAPA

·
Registered
731 Posts
uh is the car in park? if its an automatic

·
geezinondowntheroad
27,287 Posts
L.E.Sentra said:
is it in park? try moving the steering wheel as well
I have heard the steering wheel shaking thing many times, try it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Listen c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y.

I pull up...I park...I put the vehicle in PARK...I turn the key to the off position...BUT it won't go into the "0" position on the key cylinder...AND the key won't come out. I jiggle...I wiggle...I twist...I turn...I turn the wheel...I twist...I turn. The key won't come out. The G.D. key won't come out.

I can't really believe I'm the OOOOnly person with this problem.

Any takers??

·
Tech
2,775 Posts
sometimes the shifter doesnt see the car in P, so it wont let the key out, you have to hold the brake and slide the shifter in D then back in P with the car off and key on..it should work. same **** happend to me as well..

·
HI Jess
8,016 Posts
if your car is in park and you are moving the steering wheel, then i dont know what it is

·
Registered
56 Posts
i had this problem with my wifes saturn i still dont know what caused it but i fixed it using visegrips on the key and forced it back it chewed up the key just dont over do it and break the key off but it did finaly come out and hasnt happened since

·
geezinondowntheroad
27,287 Posts
Maybe some wd40 or some kind of graphite spray? weird

·
Auf Deutschland
8,616 Posts
that happened to my QG you can either have it re-keyed or replace the cylinder.... replacing the cylinder was cheaper ($40 used vs $190 for a locksmith) and within my skill set so that's what I did.... yes I had 2 keys after that :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
orangelloSE-R said:
Maybe some wd40 or some kind of graphite spray? weird
I did both. First the graphite, then the silicone spray (the lock man at work said to "never" sue WD-40 on locks), he said it may loosen the lock up but eventually forms a gummy goo. Any hoo, I'm letting it sit in time-out for the rest of the week and drive the Jeep to work until I can figure this out.

Like I said a new lock cylinder at NAPA is $150 and involves removing the steering wheel (airbags etc.). I've never dealt with an airbag loaded wheel, my Jeep is pre-airbag (except for the guy driving it).

Maybe if it sits for a couple days in the rain, it'll get lonely and spit the key out:mad: (;) ), or I'll just bite bullet and replace it.

If anyone else has any ideas, lemme know. I am leery about forcing it with vise grips, but if I'm going to replace it anyway, I may try that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SpecBee said:
sometimes the shifter doesnt see the car in P, so it wont let the key out, you have to hold the brake and slide the shifter in D then back in P with the car off and key on..it should work. same **** happend to me as well..
Well, that worked!! Son of a B, it worked!!! Why would the shifter not see that it's in PARK in the first place. Would it be the NSS (cuz it starts fine in Park and Neutral). Is there some other lock out system? Is there some adjustment? Any way you just saved me $150 and a day of grief. I owe you a beer, or a drink, or a soda. Thanks!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hate to revive this thread, but this is happening again. It seems the "fix" earlier only worked for a while. So my new question is, is there anything (electrical or mechanical) in the shift linkage like an adjustment or sensor that would make the car not think it's in Park.

It only starts in P or N so I don't believe it's an NSS problem but since this is the only vehicle I've ever had where the key is actually "stuck".

Any suggestions are welcome.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts