B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished changing the oild in my SE for the first time (myself).
Man what a pleasure to do! The oil filter is nice and low and you can actually get a grip on it - even if it is tiny. I have had Hondas the past few years and they always seem to put the damn filters high on the back of the engine under the PGFI unit.

For the record I went with Mobil 1 synthetic.

Question - How often does everyone here change Synthetic oil?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
NickStam said:
I've heard that you can go at least 7,500 - 10,000 miles on synthetic.
Well according to the owners manual you can go 7500 miles on regular oil,,,Not that I would.....

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yeah... there is NO way I would let conventional oil go
7500 miles. Most synthetics say you can go for 7500 miles
or more, but they won't back up their product with a warranty in the event your engine fails.

Amsoil does back up their product, and claims it'll go
for 25,000 miles when used with their oil filters.

The problem we have is that even if the oil can go 25,000
miles between changes, Nissan, or the person buying your car when you sell it, wouldn't think too highly of this practice. Nissan would most certainly void the warranty,
even with all of the evidence Amsoil could provide that
their oil can last that long.

Download this. It's the Motor Oil Bible. You can only read the first chapter, unless you pay $20, but it's well worth the download.

http://BestSyntheticOil.com/cgi-bin/clickit/tk.cgi?010

[Edited by UtahJ on 05-03-2001 at 01:50 PM]

·
Registered
169 Posts
several of the maxima guys have done studies on their oil after they changed their oil. Lots of good information there. Check out forums.maxima.org and do a search (top of the page right hand side) Most of them go about 6K before changing.

Engine technology has come a long way sice the "change every 3K" notion was intoduced. Most engines today are "mico finished" and remove a ton of the little metal particulae that cause problems back in the day. you should be able to go at least 4-5K on conventional oil under normal driving conditions.

doc

Sentra Styling said:
NickStam said:
I've heard that you can go at least 7,500 - 10,000 miles on synthetic.
Well according to the owners manual you can go 7500 miles on regular oil,,,Not that I would.....

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Syn Oil

I have been using Syn (Mobil 1) for 7 years on my car and kid's cars. I generally change between 9 months and one year, with a filter in between changes. (max milage for me is 12,000) I may go with the 7500 miles for the SE. BTW, in theory the manufacturer has to prove that the exceeding of the 7500 caused the engine damage. It might be a hassle though. I have enough receipts for the syn for other cars so, If I exceed the milage, I'll fudge it.

Mobil 1 has tested their oil by running 200,000 miles with oil changes every 15,000 miles. The engines were disassembled and all wear parts came up to specs for new parts. Sold me.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Just changed oil also today.

Ramps are nice but not necessary. I have all but 4000 miles on the car. I changed the oil to syn after 30 miles but did not change filter. I was only going to change filter this time but thought I'd start with a fresh slate.I hated to do it becaust the oil was a very light honey color. Used 10W30 Mobil 1 instead of the 5W30. I feel it gives a little more protection during warmup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts