B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, since our boards were down last night, I decided to cruise to Courtesy's site and found that they offer lightened flywheels for...*coughes* 500 bucks for SR20DE's. Now, does that apply for our B15's? Also, can someone educate me on flywheels and street applications? This is my first 5 speed, so how will effect drivability?

G

·
It should bolt right up. It's a big job, but someone needs to do it. Basically, the lightened flywheel removes a significant amount of weight for the engine to turn. Therefore, the engine will rev much faster, and you can gain some HP. Think about what underdrive pullies do for you, but imagine if your losing say 10 pounds instead of 1 or 2.

The bad side is that your low end torque will diminish. My buddy just installed one in his focus, and reported that he has to launch the car at a Higher RPM to avoid stalling or bogging down. Less rotating mass means there is less inertia keeping the motor turning. The engine will be much more prone to stalling when letting out the clutch at lower engine RPM's.

·
RWD is teh bomb
2,138 Posts
Stupid question..but I'm assumin theres no flywheels on auto setups right?

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahh...I see Max. So for a street driven car or just as a daily driver, that would probably get annoying after awile? Sounds like a good deal, but at 500 dollars, I can wait. :) Thanks for the info buddy.

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
You gain no HP from changing out the flywheel. I repeat none. What you do get is a quicker reving car. The Jun flywheel goes for about $400 from most other places I think.

If you are going to swap it out you might as well do the clutch as well though.

For most street driven applications it probably isn't a good idea, especially if you are not used to driving a 5 speed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts