B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heh all - I am thinking about ordering the Jacobs Electronics iCE PAK for my SE. Here's what the salesguy said. Please let me know what's up since I haven't really found many reviews on it.

----------- Here is what I received from em - maybe we can do a group buy if this **** is good -----------------

Thank you for your inquiry on the ICE Pak Ignition system. The system works fantastic on your 2001 Nissan Sentra 2.0ltr engine! We have the complete system available including the ICE Pak computer, Torquer Coil, and the Custom Energy Core spark plug wires. My friend has a 98 Nissan Sentra, which is very similar to yours. He increased his mileage a little over 3.0 mpg's and received an impressive power gain. The system has worked very well for him, he loves it. You can expect the following gains on yours :

-8% gain in horsepower
-10% gain in torque
-16% better mileage
-quicker starts (Hot or Cold)
-smoother engine operation & idle
-eliminates bogs and hesitations and erratic idle
-maximum spark to get up to 99% fuel burn
-reduced spark plug and electrode wear
The ICE Pak system will plug directly into your 2001 Nissan Sentra without cutting or splicing. The complete system normally runs $595. They will give you 30 days to try out the system. If you are not satisfied the company will refund the purchase price less 10%! We still have a few units in stock. You can pick up your ICE Pak system right now for only $469!! That is a savings of over $125! You can check it out on the web site. We do have a new flexible payment plan if you need it.

---------------------------------------------------

So what you all think on this????

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
I have seen this claim before for our cars. However I've yet to see a test that proved it to be true. The stock ignition is pretty stout as it is. It doesn't really need help. Save the money for some other mod.

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
Ooops. I also forgot about relaibility. I have read of some BB Buicks that have been left stranded when their Jacob's HEI died prematurely. Quality control has been an issue before. Hope this helps. Get the HEADERS!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well..

Well, I told one of the salespeople at Jacobs Electronics that there is no real proof of their claims and for $500 I would need something concrete. I have yet to get a reply but the way I see it, if you are going to market something like the ICE PAK system and try and sell it for $500, it makes sense to show people an actual dynograph. Otherwise, what the hell is the point? If it doesn't produce at least within 10% of it claim, and someone gets dynoed with it installed and there is no gain, then there goes their reputation. The forums are a very large part of peoples mod ideas and fuels mod lust for others. It would be in their best interest to do this for me. I will also stick to my word, if they do indeed take a stock 2001 Sentra SE and get within 10% of the gains they promise, I'll buy it. Afterall, I can get a JDM SR20DET from Australia for less than $2kUSD.

BTW, I increased my timing to ~18 degrees. Will let you all know how it feels and drives.

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
Wow, that was a good response. Remember, they want to sell their product. They won't put in their ad or tell you something other than it is greatest thing since the wheel. I have heard some ridiculous claims for car products. You have got to be careful not to waste your money on the junk.

While it is not a Nissan, one of the import mags tested an aftermarket ignition system on a Honda and it only raised hp and torque 1-2 hp/ft.lb. That IS NOT worth 300-500 dollars.

·
Registered
331 Posts
From my point of view, I think that it is a scam... Go for the free mod with the timing, it is gonna be better, and u will have save money at the same time!!!
My 0,02$:eek:

·
Registered
446 Posts
if 1-2hp/ft lbs. isn't worth the money then why do people but under drive pulleys? Isn't the full set around $500?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check it

Haven't gotten a response from Jacobs yet. I normally get email from them towards the end of the afternoon - must be when they respond to their earlier days email messages. I will post the reply when I get one for all to see.

In regards to the advanced timing, I've noticed a slight "feel" at about 17* and am going to advance the timing to 19* tonight. Will let you know the difference.

Good news also: I found a Dyno relatively near me in the state of Maryland at Altered Atmosphere Motorsports. They have a pretty good reputation, so I am going to dyno my SE before I do anything more than the PRCAI. Will of course do the dyno with the stock intake, will then reinstall the PRCAI to dyno, then will advance the timing one degree per 3 runs to get an accurate reading for us all to use as a stock graph. Should be fun, but consume most of a day. (I DO like to be accurate - if anyone else thinks 20 runs is excessive, well, I am ;)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Well pulleys at least, we know they work, they've been tested on racing cars too, this one, we have to rely on their so-so demonstration....:(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More Info

Well, yes, underdrive pulleys do work, but that's not the point of these posts. We want to know if the Jacobs Electronics ICE PAK system is legit or not. If a company claims something, they best be able to back the claim up. Also, I just might go ahead and buy the system, install it and then go dyno my car to see the effect and I just might reinstall the factory system as a cross-comparison. If it isn't up to my requirements or do what is claimed, I will return it to them and just pay the 10% restockin fee.

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
Found the magazine whose graph I quoted. Guess what? I quoted the wrong graph! In the july issue of Turbo and High Tech Performance, they found that an aftermarket ignition system added to a lightly modified Miata (K&N FIPK filter kit, Racing Beat Intake and exhaust) produded a dyno curve that was "practically a carbon copy of the baseline graph.":mad:

I REALLY am NOT believing what Jacob's is claiming for a stock or slightly modded car when it comes to hp gain with their product. I wouldn't even try it if they promised a 100% refund.

As for spending 300-500 for a 1-2 hp/torque gain, I will never pay that much for so little. It's absurd. If someone wants to piss away their money on barely effective parts, I won't stop them. However, don't expect me to do it or say it was justified on their part (unless they are hardcore racers). It seems too much of the aftermarket parts for imports are outrageously overpriced as it is. The claim that it's higher quality is B.S too much of the time. It would be nice if someone started taking the manufacturers to task for this type of thing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a good point

I have to agree with you on that one. It suprises me to no end that with the amount of $$ spent on aftermarket modifications, companies that do not present reproduceable measurements of their claims being verified by an independent testing authority, STILL pull in siginificant profits and stay in business. Personally, I regard their marketing efforts as the moral equivalent to false advertising. The question remains, what are we, the import tuning community, going to do about it? Will be simply rely on anonymous forums for our recommendations from other enthusiasts? Or take direct action? I'm not saying that all companies offer products that do little or nothing, but maybe we, the import community, should start our own governing/testing/certification body akin to Truste.

Anyway, enough of a rant guys, sorry to be boring, but I still await a return email from Jacobs Electronics about their claims. On a side note, I might just get it and do those tests since they have a nice payment plan that splits up the purchase into 3 payments - it would minimize my out of pocket expense, and get some verifiable data into my hands. Which , coincidentally, I will post for all to see.

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
I like that idea. Know how to get it started? I'd be in. I will say it again, too much of the import aftermarket stuff is outrageously overpriced. $200 for a CAI?! It's a freakin tube with paint and a filter!!! I can make one for cheaper!!! Am I right or have I been smoking crack again? I can never remeber... :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and so it begins...

Actually, what it takes is the support of the community really. I know how to go about doing it and can tell you at the base of the issue is testing, testing, testing, and oh yeah, some more testing. But you know, you should probably stop smokin that crack when hydro is so much beddar ;)

Anyway, I am on vacation and can't access my work email. However, I got some of it and Jacobs touted their in-existence for 30 years, but alas, don't have ANY dyno's for our cars to prove the benefit. SO, I am gonna cut them a deal where I am going to buy one, test the $Hi! out of it and then tell you guys what's up. I will even get a 1.8l and set it up to see what the DYNO says.

Will have those results within the next 10 days hopefully. We should talk more though about the organization that is going to monitor testing.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
When you get all the results, I would REALLY be interested in that info... Make a new thread with it all on there so that we can all see stock, and other results.

How do you find out if there is a dyno near you?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hate to say it, but ...

I know everyone hates these replies, but I actually found out about a Dyno near me by searching. However, after doing so I found this site that lets you find the closest Dyno equipped shop here: http://www.dynojet.com/lauto.shtml

Hope this helps.

In regards to the information, I am VERY serious about these tests as I am plain TIRED of the run around and inaccurate claims.

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
I know what you mean about not trusting their claims. I've seen 2 other sites besides the Buick BB that called Jacob's ignition stuff absolute sh*t. Don't get me started on the bogus claims thing...
Dromicman, if we ever meet I'll buy you a beer for having the guts to lay down the money to test out thier claims. If my cards weren't almost maxed I'd buy a Haltech and go after the turbo route from there. Let's face it folks, the Sentra community is going to have to fend for itself. We can't be dependant on others to do what we want done for our cars. Look at what has happened. JWT-nowhere with our ECU mod. F-Max- backed out on prototype turbo for our cars. Us-no turbo. F**k that. Let's get to work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so very true...

Thanks man - Well, the system is coming and I have an appointment at Altered Atmospheres this Saturday for mucho dyno runs. Will probably be there all day ;)

I have been talking to other engineering friends of mine - luckily one has extensive experience in composite materials - and we are putting together some pretty extensive ideas for mods for performance as well as cosmetic. You guys are gonna love some of the **** we are thinking of...

Wait and see...

·
Registered
473 Posts
ICE PAK SYSTEM DESCRIPTION FROM IMPORTPLUS.COM

Includes: Energy Pak Computer, Torquer Coil, & Sparkplug Wires

For All 4 Cyl. Import engines!

Designed for a NEW kind of performance enthusiast! Exclusive features are: A "start retard" (<600 RPM) making
cranking / starting easier, high RPM ability (20,000 RPM+!), digital capacitive discharge and super fast multiple
sparking across 10 degrees of crank rotation (no arc-over inside the distributor cap). New smaller housing and
thin profile coil brackets make mounting tight places easier than any other Jacobs' system!

Ideal for Honda/Acura V-TEC engines.
"Must have" if running nitrous or blowers!
Improves already modified engines
Up to 1,380 mj of spark energy
Multiple spark & capacitive discharge
Over 65,000 Volts at the plugs
Acceleration Spark & digital technology
High-Speed digital microprocessor

Prevents arc-over problems that are common in import distributor caps.

DONT YOU THINK ITS GOT TO BE ATLEAST BETTER THAN STOCK AND IF YOUR USING NITOUS DONT YOU NEED AN IGNITION OTHER THEN STOCK?

I AM VERY VERY INTERESTED IN YOUR TEST RESULTS SO DEFINITLY KEEP US POSTED!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts