B15 Sentra Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
SuperAkuma said:
For oil change I would use a jack stand, its soo much easier. All you need to do is just take off the front passengers tire
We'll I'll disagree. From the time I grab my ramps to go outside. It takes about4 minutes total to have the car up on them.

·
VVL is good
2,770 Posts
2001 SE #2 said:
jack & stands

you can do far more with them, they're safer, easier to use, not as bulky/in the way, and there are no [fewer] problems with lowered cars.
1) How are they safer? I haven't seen ANY cars that split in the middle and the car falls on you using ramps.

2) Easier to use? Like Al said, the most time taken is going to get them. The rest is cake.

3) Not as bulky? A 2-ton jack plus 2 jack stands doesn't take up much room? I know jack stands are not really big and can stand up and fit in corners.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
mirrortints said:
1) How are they safer? I haven't seen ANY cars that split in the middle and the car falls on you using ramps.

2) Easier to use? Like Al said, the most time taken is going to get them. The rest is cake.

3) Not as bulky? A 2-ton jack plus 2 jack stands doesn't take up much room? I know jack stands are not really big and can stand up and fit in corners.
1) There's a reason ramps are banned at NHRA tracks, they don't just do that on a whim. Unless you anchor them ramps can slide, easily, making it very dangerous to go up/down them.

2) Try it with a lowered car. My sentra (lowered 2-3" all around) might be able to make it up some with some extenders, but there's no WAY the sti (sits about 2-3" lower than the sentra) is going up some ramps. Ramps need a lot more room, especially if you need extenders, they need anchors to hold them in place unless you enjoy hitting the gas a little hard coming up them and throwing them under the car, etc. I didn't say jack & stands were QUICKER to use, but they are easier IMO. Fewer problems you have to deal with and fewer risks when going up/down.

3) Bulky once the car is up. It's much easier to move around underneath a car when it's on stands vs ramps, the jack doesn't stay under the car.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
2001 SE #2 said:
1) Unless you anchor them ramps can slide, easily, making it very dangerous to go up/down them.
Its not possible for the ramp to slide on a flat surface once you are up. Anjd even though it isn't necessary with Rhino Ramps. I personally use chock blocks to prevent the car fro rolling off the ramp.

2) Try it with a lowered car. My sentra (lowered 2-3" all around) might be able to make it up some with some extenders, but there's no WAY the sti (sits about 2-3" lower than the sentra) is going up some ramps. You just put a short section of 2 x 6 at the ramp entry and I almost guarantee it won't hit.

3) Bulky once the car is up. It's much easier to move around underneath a car when it's on stands vs ramps, the jack doesn't stay under the car.
Unless you are having a circle jerk under the car..there is plenty of room

·
Owner
1,650 Posts
I have kind of been avoiding this topic, as there seem to be strong feelings on both sides. Personally, here is my $0.02...

Get the ramps....

if the majority of the time you spend on your car is driving it to and from work, but you want the satisfaction of doing an oil change or two yourself. (For bonus points, keep an eye out for a mirror at garage sales. Having one next to the car as you pull onto the ramps can help ease your fear of getting onto them by yourself the first few times.) One thing to keep in mind - the rhino ramps that Al recommends (as do I, as far as ramps go) have nice rubber feet on the bottom to help with them sliding while you are getting the car up onto them, come in low profile varieties that my lowered GXE easily got onto, and are multitudes easier to use in the winter (trying to get your car up onto old-school metal ramps when the ambient temperature is hovering around 20F ends up being a study in frustration, as the tires just seem to spin as soon as you get them completely on the base of the ramp).

Get the jack and some nice quality jack stands...
if you currently rotate your own tires, do your own brakes...or plan on starting. Several things to keep in mind - don't ever work on your car when it is just supported by the jack, no matter how quick you think that the task is. Buy a quality jack that will handle the weight of your car, has a low initial height, and will raise the car as high as you want it. Buy decent jack stands (preferably four of them, it makes things like changing all of your brakes or rotating all four tires easier and quicker). While 2 ton jack stands are cheaper, they are also lower and they can become unstable as you raise them towards their maximum height. 6 ton SUV jack stands may seem like overkill, but they are wider (for extra stability) and have a higher initial height (also aids in stability). Just don't go for the ones with a round or other small base (like the blue point version marketed by snap-on, they have a tendency to tip and roll out from under the car). Whenever you use the jack and/or jack stands on asphalt or other surface that is suceptible to temperature variations, be sure to put a flat piece of plywood (or something similar) under the jack wheels/jack stand legs to help spread out the weight distribution...you would be suprised how quickly a four leg jack stand can sink into a parking lot on an otherwise cool but sunny day.

Buy both...
if you have enough storage space and like the convenience of ramps for oil changes, but want the extra height, clearance, and ability to take off the wheels that jacks and jackstands afford you.

Either way, always make sure to put something behind any wheels still on the ground to keep the car from rolling, know good jacking points for your car, and shake the car a bit before you get under it (not like poking at the door, shake it harder than any motion caused by the work you plan on doing) - pushing extra hard to loosen that stuck bolt is a bad time to find out that the car was not sitting as well on the jack stands as you had hoped...

·
Registered
298 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Used one before, never had a problem...

·
★★★★★
8,477 Posts
my neighbor has an awesome lift in his garage. i haven't tried it yet but want to. those ramps scare the shiit out of me, had one bad experience and haven't used them since.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
adc100 said:
1 - once the car is up yes, but as i said in my post they can easily slide while you're driving up/down them
2 - I guarantee you it won't
3 - Plenty of room for an oil change maybe, out of the last 5 times ive worked on my car, 4 of them wouldn't have been possible (or it would have taken at least an hour longer) with ramps. The only one that would be fine was an oil change

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts
? I just did an oil change & didn't need either ramps or stands. No, i didn't just use the jack.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
mirrortints said:
I'm sure that would just slip from under the car, just like the car ramps have for several people who never used em...:rolleyes:
Lets all make assumptions about the people that disagree with us, because they obviously have no idea what they're talking about!

I used ramps for years and I don't want to go back. They're dangerous (for the car), suck for lowered cars, and don't work for many tasks. I'm sorry you don't feel the same way, but that's hardly any reason to get defensive.

Anyway, if you want both then that's fine, but if you're only getting ONE or the OTHER, get a jack and stands, ignoring everything else, ramps are far too limiting to be your only option.

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts
There is a free alternative; drive to a cemetary & park over a fresh hole, then just hop in with a lil step ladder (assuming the coffin isn't in yet). That should provide plenty of access for any "wheels on" maintenace.

·
VVL is good
2,770 Posts
orangelloSE-R said:
There is a free alternative; drive to a cemetary & park over a fresh hole, then just hop in with a lil step ladder (assuming the coffin isn't in yet). That should provide plenty of access for any "wheels on" maintenace.
That's too much work and will get your car dirty. I got a friend who goes to the local car wash, drains the oil and has the option of purging his coolant AND get his car washed in under an hour, with NO mess! ;)

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts
mirrortints said:
That's too much work and will get your car dirty.
Maybe, but does he get free flowers with every oil change? :D The rednecks near Starkville, MS (outside of that bustling berg). Have had a free to the public setup for many years; it is comprised of two reinforced cinderblock walls running parallel out of a slight slope on the side of the road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For oil change I would use a jack stand, its soo much easier. All you need to do is just take off the front passengers tire and you can change the oil without getting under the car. While you are at it, might as well rotate the tires as well.
Can you get to the oil filter that way on a 2005 Sentra 1.8 liter?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Car ramps have enhanced safety features that make them more stable than jack stands. They offer a larger surface area, which adds traction to the ground and supports the car's wheels. Another advantage is affordability. Ramps are ideal for oil changes and other maintenance that doesn't require extensive work.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts