B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm deciding what to get. I can't (don't want) to have both. They both do the same thing, which is lift the car up. The only difference is I can't rotate the tires on a ramp. Then again, I'll get new tires soon and the shop offers free tire rotation for life. So maybe two or three more rotations.

Therefore, as of now, 95% of the time it's for oil changes.

I don't own any and have no real expereice with them. What are some of the pros and cons?

For starter:

With a ramp, I don't need a floor jack, and I can just drive right up the ramp. Correct?

My Spec is drop 1", will I be able to go up a ramp?

·
Registered
150 Posts
my car is lowered 1.5 in the front and 1.4 in the rear and I have never used ramps or stands to change the oil. I have four 2ton jack stands that I use to rotate tires and bleed the brakes. I have also used the stands to install bsr, sway bars, mmi's, and exhaust etc...they give you the height clearance for all of those type jobs and trust me the higher you can get them without jeperdizing saftey the better.

·
Swagnificent
540 Posts
You can always place some 2x8 boards in front of the ramps if you have clearance issues with a lowered front or lip, I personally have always used a floor jack and jack stands.

·
HI Jess
1,906 Posts
i have both, the ramps are great bc they get the car high to do the oil changes. i have extenders so even a lowered car wouldnt have problems. the jack stands work great bc if u need to change out struts, the stands take the load off of the suspension. so either get some stands and a jack that will get the car high in the air, or both

·
VVL is good
2,770 Posts
If it's going to be 90% to do oil changes or fluid changes. I'd get the ramps. Takes a few seconds to get up the ramp, how long to jack up the car and put jack stands in?

Like L.E. Sentra said, they sell extenders for the ramps for lower cars.

·
Resident D1ckhead
377 Posts
jack stands FTW. ramps are ok as a backup and for oil changes, but i strongly prefer jack stands- i can adjust the car height to meet my needs.

·
2.0 Sentra Lover
1,101 Posts
i have both... but i much prefer to use the lifts we have... so much easier...

Jack stand will require a floor jack to use... much more stable... RAMPS are illegal at any NHRA Sanctioned race track.

·
DIY-er
681 Posts
Ramps are cheap and easy, but it is a pain to get up them if you drive a stick... the consequences of going over is huge.

My unlowered SE needs a 2x10 boost to get back down the ramps without bottoming out with the ramps I have. There is about a 1/2" clearance without the 2x10s.

If I had a garage I'd get a jack and jackstands... but I don't, so ramps are way more portable... and I got them for free, so it was a bit of a no-brainer.

You can always use the trunk jack and spare to rotate your tires.

·
VVL is good
2,770 Posts
SE-Mark said:
My unlowered SE needs a 2x10 boost to get back down the ramps without bottoming out with the ramps I have. There is about a 1/2" clearance without the 2x10s.
I guess it depends on what ramps you have. I have no clearance problems using ramps (of course mine are made for lower cars, and I have an unlowered SE as well).

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts
I like jack stands, but my unlowered car does not require lifting for an oil change.

If you get ramps, BE SURE that you don't leave the ebrake on. I did that in my prizm & did a nice burnout that spun the ramp up under the tire.

The post from your jack stand can also be used as a handy weapon in case you are pursued by a racist mob; ramps are too bulky & awkward for that. ;)

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Go with RhinoRamps. You can put 12" 2 x 4 or 2 x 8 in front of it if you need it.. If you are doing 95%oil changes go for it. Driving up with stick isn't that tough. A couple of times and you are good to go. I love them

The most time consuming part of getting your car on ramps is getting them out of the garage.

·
Back for More
3,766 Posts
both. they really aren't that expensive.

ramps are great for the quick stuff, but you need the stands for most anything else.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For safety, some have said to throw your wheel under the car. Some have also use wood. How about some bricks. More specific, are hollow tile bricks good as "safety insurance?" Or do you think they will break and crumble on impact if the car was to drop?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hollow bricks will just shatter if a car falls on them...and then you create a situation where you have debris from the now exploding brock acting as shrapnel...The only good insurance in my opinion are jack stands and wheel chocks.

I have both, but I also have a garage to work in. Ramps are cheap and jack stands are not that much more. Just make sure you can keep the vehicle from rolling in any case...

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
GoLowDrew said:
For safety, some have said to throw your wheel under the car. Some have also use wood. How about some bricks. More specific, are hollow tile bricks good as "safety insurance?" Or do you think they will break and crumble on impact if the car was to drop?
I would not trust my life to any bricks. Bricks tend to be brittle I would use both a ramp and stands. It's your life. Do you want to go cheap?

·
Registered
773 Posts
For oil change I would use a jack stand, its soo much easier. All you need to do is just take off the front passengers tire and you can change the oil without getting under the car. While you are at it, might as well rotate the tires as well.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
jack & stands

you can do far more with them, they're safer, easier to use, not as bulky/in the way, and there are no [fewer] problems with lowered cars.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts