B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had it relocated for a year or so now and I feel like some timing is being pulled. It might just be my mind but is there any way to check if the sensor is grounded so that I know i'm not losing hp?
 

·
Boost Addict
Joined
·
3,414 Posts
Bobby Digital said:
I've had it relocated for a year or so now and I feel like some timing is being pulled. It might just be my mind but is there any way to check if the sensor is grounded so that I know i'm not losing hp?

you would need to check the ecm with a consult II all k/s activity is logged.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if it's not grouded properly would it throw any kind of code in the ecu that i could check with the gas pedal diagnostics?
 

·
Boost Addict
Joined
·
3,414 Posts
Bobby Digital said:
if it's not grouded properly would it throw any kind of code in the ecu that i could check with the gas pedal diagnostics?

k/s activity does not throw a code that can be checked with out a consult II. recheck your connections if they are still solid you may be feeling a loss due to increased temps because its summer. Hot air is less dense than cold air ;)
 

·
Immature Tough Guy
Joined
·
5,671 Posts
Since I don't have regular access to a consult2 (unlike Mike who's good friends with a dealer...lucky bastard), a couple of times a year I will remove the insulation around the relocated KS and just check to see if I'm getting a ground signal with a volt meter.

Also, Mike's right about the weather...it's unreal how much stronger the car runs at night vs hot humid daytime driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah the hot air does kill things....i just dont feel the low end grunt anymore. Oh-well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,871 Posts
If your knock sensor is not grounded correctly, you WILL throw a code, (either knock sensor voltage too high or low...not sure). However it's not a code that lights up the SES light. You have to get an OBDII code reader to pick it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah this is what i was thinking....i checked it a while back and got a code for knock sensor high voltage. This is also when my cam position sensor went out and threw a code too. I havent checked since i got everything fixed. I'll check it out today and see if there is a code. Hopefully not b/c that KS was a pain in the ***.
 

·
Boost Addict
Joined
·
3,414 Posts
Bobby Digital said:
yeah this is what i was thinking....i checked it a while back and got a code for knock sensor high voltage. This is also when my cam position sensor went out and threw a code too. I havent checked since i got everything fixed. I'll check it out today and see if there is a code. Hopefully not b/c that KS was a pain in the ***.

you can always reground the k/s. I always ground it back to the block in the stock location. this way you can reuse the stock bolt with the aid of some washers.
 

·
Boost Addict
Joined
·
3,414 Posts
Bobby Digital said:
yeah this is what i was thinking....i checked it a while back and got a code for knock sensor high voltage. This is also when my cam position sensor went out and threw a code too. I havent checked since i got everything fixed. I'll check it out today and see if there is a code. Hopefully not b/c that KS was a pain in the ***.

as a side note if you check the wire with a multimeter the resistance should be .3 ohms or less for a good ground point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
alright thanks for that heads up. I check everything out yesterday when i changed my oil and things looked OK. The eyelid was still screwed into the block and ran into the rag that I have wrapped around the censor. I'm going to check for codes now.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top