B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this definitely the best car for under $22k? MSRP of the SE/PP loaded is $18153, I can be at for about $16,000 with the grad discount. What can an additional $2-4k buy me?

I want a fun 'driver's' car. I was hoping for a pre 01 Subaru RS coupe but I can find none at a 'fair' price.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
331 Posts
DEFINETELY, for that amount of money, it is a good deal!!!

dO SOME SEARCH ON THIS FORUM!!!;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would think so. After I got my SiR stolen, I made a list of cars I wanted. It started with the Sentra SE (only knew about car since my gf bought one) and went all the way up to an Impreza WRX. I had the Celica, Sentra SE/SE-R/Spec V, Protege 5/MP3, Impreza RS/WRX, Intregra SE/GS-R/Type R, Prelude, Accord, and VW GTi 1.8T/VR6 to name a few.
After much thinking, test driving, budgetting, more thinking, reading, more thinking.....I finally ended up getting the SE. To tell you the truth, I was lining up to buy the SE-R Spec V without a doubt. The reason I bought the SE now is because I needed a car and because the rates were very low. My friend/Salesman said that they would take care of me if I really wanted the Spec V when it comes out. The insurance was also very low for the car....something to consider. Besides, I didn't want to wait a year with no car because I didn't want to buy my Spec V in the winter. However, after the recent pics....things may change.

·
Registered
63 Posts
pacemat said:
If I had 22k to spend when I bought my Sentra, I would have bought a Jetta.
The only thing I don't like about Jettas is the 2yr 24k bumper to bumper warranty. I know the engine/drivetrain on the Jetta is 10yr 100k but i would rather have the 3yr 36k bumper to bumper we have on the sentras.

G

·
VW has addressed that problem for '02. They will be extending their warranty to 3 yr. 36K miles from what I have read.

If I had 22K to spend, I probably wouldn't have bought the Sentra. The GTI 1.8T or Celica GTS, MR2 Spyder or Maxima would have been higher on the list.

The Sentra is a great car in the 16-17K price range, but there are better choices over 20K.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I agree about the VW warranty plus at $28K CAN compared to $22K CAN for the Sentra SE, I couldn't do it especially for almost the same HP. Sure it may be more refined but that's it. On top of that reliability isn't as good as Nissan. My friend has a Jetta VR6 and he was in the shop after 2 weeks for, get this, faulty driveshafts? Amonth later for something else. Another friend with a GTi had to bring it back 5 times in 6 months. That was enough for me.
I have a friend who owns a Toyota dealership and I really wanted the Celica, however the GT-S is quite expensive at $33K CAN, might as well get a ITR for the same price. The GT has less HP but is still $3500 more and probably doesn't handle as well or is just the same (15" mag).
I tried the Maxima and liked it and I could've got it but I felt it was too much car for me. I don't like big cars....I prefer small and nibble. At that price I would've got a WRX.
In the end spending $28K-$35K seemed out of the question. Add in that all the cars above cost much more in insurance. I pay $600 less than my SiR.....imagine if I had an ITR or Celica.
To me, the Sentra SE is the best bang for the buck.....The Spec V though depends on how much it goes for. The base SE-R I would get in a heartbeat, course I want the Spec V. :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Are we gonna have the SPEC-V in Canada???:(

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
If I had 22K when I bought my Sentra SE/PP i probably woulda gotten a Camaro.... i know, i know... i'm a sellout, sorry guys

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Camaro...

at 22K you are at least 8K light for the 3.8L (Can you say dog??) and 10K light for the more robust 5.7 L. Oh yea tack another K on for insurance/year-if you can get it.

Former Camaro (rear wheel drive sucks) owner.:cool:

·
Registered
300 Posts
around here you can get a new Z28 for around 21K
305 HP VS 145HP
:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I hate camaros. Here, in Colorado, they are WAY too common. Same with mustangs. I hate cavaliers, neons, and Jettas too. They are girls cars. i hate how there is hardly an import scene out here. Damn.

·
Registered
560 Posts
If you spend ~5 grand you can get someone install a DET (turbo engine). It will become tons of fun.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
XtremE said:
around here you can get a new Z28 for around 21K
305 HP VS 145HP
:)
same here, thats why i said Camaro... but of course I agree they are overplayed... along with Mustangs. But hell, a Z28 will kill a WRX at the same price...........

( ... just bein realistic... I'd choose an import over domestic any day...)

·
Registered
186 Posts
guy_geo said:
Are we gonna have the SPEC-V in Canada???:(
According to the Nissan Connexxion newsletter that I got from Nissan, yes we are guy_geo. I have an english and french version so I know its not just a US-based newsletter. I'm still surprised Nissan Canada hasn't updated their website.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts