B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about all the mods we have available for our cars, and what they translate into on the dyno. In thinking about it, I have come to question whether staying N/A with the Sentra is even worth it when you consider what you get HP/Dollar.

Say you buy a Header, Catback exhaust, CAI and Underdrive Pullies. YOu would have spent $1300-1400, and picked up 12--15HP peak. That is $100 spent for every 1HP gained! Plus, what is that additional power going to translate to at the track? Maybe a couple tenths of a second off your 1/4 mile time? Heck, a set of drag radials on a stock Sentra would get you that kind of improvement.

It just seems that these power mods are ultimately a waste of money, unless your going turbo. When you consider that it takes $1400 to get 15HP, spending $4K on a turbo kit to get 80--100HP sounds a lot better. That is only $40-50 spent for every 1HP gained! It is a much better deal! Plus, is there anything cooler than seeing a big intercooler sitting behind the grill on a import? :D

The SR20DE is a natural for a turbocharger. It can handle more boost on the stock bottom end than pretty much any other non-turbo motor out there. The bang for the buck is twice that of staying Normally aspirated.

So, this is the final word. Everyone needs to ditch their N/A mods, and start saving for a turbo kit! Don't worry about the fact that there isn't one yet. By the time you have $4K saved up, there will be! :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
hey man I agree ive gotten and spent a good amount of money on the mods and it just so happens that a 91 sentra se-r pulls beside me and when the light turns green i get my *** wooped. So eventually I pulled over beside him and we chatted and come to find out he has turbo man was it shweet. So Ive come to the conclusion that Im not modding my SE n-e more until I get my next big job done.......... TURBO FOR MY 01 SE!!!!!!! PROJECT 01 SE TURBO here I come.!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Agreed!! BUT, the thing is, there is more to modding your car than just HP gain. It makes it unique, and it is a fun, creative hobby. You know?? I mean, sure it's an expensive hobby, but it is also our interest. I only have a JWT POP on my sentra :( but I still love reading about everything ya'll with the $ have on your cars, and going to hot import night, etc.

·
Registered
124 Posts
True true, but some people can't wait around to save up 4k for the turbo kit. I personally wish I did, because I've spend about 1500 or so on bolt on's. I've decided to do the 50 shot for now and go turbo after i graduate college.

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Agreed. The SR20 we get here is just the castrated version of the original DET engine. Turbo is the way to go.

Don't get me wrong. N/A is cool and all... but I'd still rather have boost.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I know what you mean. I havn't spent all that much on my car and I'm not goin to spend another cent on it except for gas. I am hopefully going to have my turbo in by next summer. I'm going with an Fmax system and it is good for somewhere around 300-400hp to the wheels depending on how much boost and work you do to your engine. If you know the right people like I do then you can get it for around $3000-4000 including install and an upgraded clutch.

Hope everyone has fun and goes with FI. It will be cool and I can't wait.

·
Registered
0 Posts
And Jeff speaks

Here's a little run down for staying N/A and FI

N/A
Pros:
-Cheaper gas money
-More respect
-More reliable than FI
-Cheaper than FI
Cons:
-Requires a lot of weight lose if you want to go faster
-HP will be harder and harder to get

F/I (Turbo in this case)
Pros:
-Much more power...and that's it!
Cons:
-Need more maintenence
-$$$ overall

Jeff-

·
Registered
311 Posts
You forgot one pro of forced induction; the cool pshhhhhhhhhht sound!

·
Registered
0 Posts
samo said:
You forgot one pro of forced induction; the cool pshhhhhhhhhht sound!
Haha..yeah..forgot about that. And shiny intercooler :)

Jeff-

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm staying normally aspirated for the time being simply because I can't afford to save up the $4,000 or so for a turbo kit, not unless they have some sort of payment plan!

Also, I don't want the hassle of having to warm up/cool down the car for 5 minutes every time I fire it up or park it. I know, there's run-down kits you can buy, but there goes more $$$. Plus, like Corporal Jeff says, there's more maintenance. Especially when you consider that you'll be running the car harder simply because the temptation of lots of HP is there. It adds up to shorter engine life.

I'll wait until the factory warranty expires, or get a beater project to fix up.

But, I'm very curious to see what comes out for our cars. Who knows, maybe I'll be struck by HP-fever and get a B15 kit for the extra punch.

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
my question is whether to go boost or not. that is ineveitable if i keep this car. my main decision is whether to do it to the sentra or to a project car. the more i drive my friends car, the more i realize mine is a turd in terms of performance. i may just keep it for what it is, transportation, and start dumping the money into something that benefits can be seen. i'm over 4 cylinders.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Lee said:
my question is whether to go boost or not. that is ineveitable if i keep this car. my main decision is whether to do it to the sentra or to a project car. the more i drive my friends car, the more i realize mine is a turd in terms of performance. i may just keep it for what it is, transportation, and start dumping the money into something that benefits can be seen. i'm over 4 cylinders.
Over 4 cylinders? I doubt you'll say that when your 4-cylinder car push over 300whp and eats mustangs and all other muscle car for fun...

Jeff-

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
CorporalJeff said:

Over 4 cylinders? I doubt you'll say that when your 4-cylinder car push over 300whp and eats mustangs and all other muscle car for fun...

Jeff-
n/m...too grumpy to go into it. :D

[Edited by Lee on 05-07-2001 at 12:33 PM]

·
Registered
816 Posts
I dunno...$4000 on a turbo? Maybe that's how much the initial basic investment is but if you want to do the turbo right, you're going to have to spend closer to $7000 for proper tuning on a dyno, getting the BOV, turbo timers, fuel system upgrades and of course a new clutch to handle all the extra horses. There are lots of Turbo kits out there for Hondas/Acuras that advertise for $3000 but I know a couple of guys who got the kits. After all was said and done, they spent about $2000-3000 more to get the system installed properly and to get their cars running at their peak potential.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, you can buy just the kit and gauges with a new clutch and be okay. If you want 10/10th's of the performance capability, sure you will have to invest more. I think all many of us are trying to do is get to the 200--220HP at the wheels mark. That is well within the capabilities of the f-max system.

I'll do some more research on the se-r mailing list about this. THe best way to learn is from other people's experiences.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts