B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
RWD is teh bomb
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's a very valid question. Yes, I understand some people are just craving the utmost power bla bla bla. Here's my point:If you go to the strip to get a XX second car... then sure, having a horsepower machine makes alot of sense.

I get into these discussions all the time. People tell me "Roly, for 31k, you could get an STi which will blow your G35 out of the water." Is an STi faster? Absolutely, you will NEVAR get an arguement out of me on that. I switched my perfectly good B15 SE for a RWD G35... Does it have more power? Most definately.... is it comfortable? Absolutely... more creature comforts then I could ever really use.

So back to the point... for the people who only drive on the street.. what's the point to have an STi or an Evo when you shouldn't be racing on them? :D

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
lol the thing i find funny is that you can have a bad @$$ car that makes 500+ hp..thats nice and dandy but how far do you think youre gonna get when you get 7mpg? i only drive street and i see all these civic si's that pack real punch under the hood but whats the point when you cant get out of third gear, sometimes even second gear on a lot of city streets. most of them si's never see the track so i see your point. speed is not important to me at all..dont think i wanna go to jail/lose my car for drag racing either lol

·
Registered
881 Posts
i agree, to me speed isnt everything, but no one wants to drive an underpowered car. I would buy the G35c b/c it looks good, has nice features, is quick, and most important and BEST of all, i LOVE the exhaust note on them. My uncles FX35 sounds the same too. I figured that all the VQ35DE engines should sound the same, but my moms 04 max doesnt sound like the infinitys unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
because even at normal speed driving, more power is fun :)

·
14.09 @ 95.53mph!!
495 Posts
I think it goes back to what my father always tried to explain to me when I first started driving and he at the time had a mint condition 400hp 1972 Stingray Corvette. I always asked him why he had a bad azz corvette but never raced around on the street with it and he would say, "Because I just like knowing the power is there..." and thats all he cared about. So maybe the reason people want the EVO or STi for example is bc they know that awesome power is there, and when you are accelerating on an onramp, nothing feels better than going pedal to the metal...to properly merge with traffic of course. :D

·
Hater
907 Posts
Of course it's that import. B ecause I need MAD POWAH to get from zero to 3 miles per hour in a traffic jam on the beltway faster than the guy next to me. :p

Speed totally isn't important to me....if it was I wouldn't have bought, what, the 3rd slowest car that Nissan makes? (that's figuring a QR25 sNetra is faster than a qg18 one or an Altima 2.5s). What does matter, however, is fun to drive...

·
El Greco
2,296 Posts
I rarely go over 80mi/h on the interstate daily (except on long trips).

But I would like to be able to reach 80mi/h fast!

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I like to be able to downshift and get out of something possibly bad.. and onramps are fun.. outside of that, I generally drive like a grandmother with good eyesight.

·
Love it or leave it...
453 Posts
I am not in it for the overall speed either. I love the torque in the SE-R's/Spec-V's but my goal is to get in to the 14's at the track with as little mods as possible.

·
I have parts for sale!
1,030 Posts
its just damn fun to have the power to those proper merges of onramps etc.. you dont want to be second and brake behind the other slow car... you want to be way ahead of him to continue your dandy little acceleration onto the highways and along with where your headed.

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Overall to me no. I have multiple different cars that serve completely different functions.

The g20 gets us to work everyday in moderate comfort. Its pretty good on gas, it has AC, 4 doors to haul people around when they are visiting. Its by no means fast. I regularly turn off the AC if I have to pull out into traffic quickly. It has a pop charger, some decent tires, and b13 lsd tranny in it. Its in bad need of some bushings but its a good car to take to and from work or run errands with.

The NX used to get me around everyday but it is by no means comfortable. The suspension is rather stiff, you have to pull yourself up to get out of the car. Now it is pretty much resigned to track duty. It has sat for months on end only to be driven 1000 miles in one pop to go to a track event and then go back to hibernating. It is fun to drive though. It shifts nicely, hands very well. Is fast for a N/A car. It does drone though and is not something I would want to get in and out of everyday. It is a different kind of fast compared to the b15.

The b15 is actually probably the most comfortable car out of the bunch but that comes with a caveat. I have made it somewhat less fun to drive. Yes it is nice to sit down in the leather seats and the interior feels much more comfortable to look around. The driving experience with the turbo is completely different though. I have introduced quirks to the car which take away from wanting to drive it everyday. It has a cold idle issue which requires you to start the car and hold the throttle for a minute or so to make sure it will stay running. Yes after it is warm it has no idle issues but its still a slight inconvenience. Part of the ecu programming makes the car stumble under part throttle until the coolant temp comes up so if you pull directly out into traffic you have to remember that. The clutch turns into a on/off switch in a sense. Well its not hard on your foot its hard to modulate correctly mostly due to the hydraulic setup and the fact the clutch engages almost at the top of the throw. Couple that with the lightened flywheel and getting moving smoothly becomes a challenge. On a hill you have to very careful or you end up doing a burnout without trying. Handling is ok for now, though I'm not happy with it as it pushes like a pig. That is a easy fix with parts I have waiting to go on though. The brakes squeak loudly coming to a stop at anything past just rolling. It just happens to be a function of the pads in the wilwood calipers. The brakes stop great, almost too great as going to other cars to drive them you quickly wish those cars could stop that well. Going around turns the pads scrape against the rotors though. The car does drone a bit but not nearly as bad as the NX and for having a 3" turbo back exhaust it really is not that bad. The popping out of it can get kinda annoying though. As far as the power delivery it is great with the GT28RS with a few exceptions. 1st and 2nd gear are pretty much worthless. They are way too short. Any throttle position past 1/2 throttle in second will roast the tires and get you weird looks by people driving next to you. After 2nd though the sky is the limit. You get up to speed so quickly you look down and realize you should tap the brakes. In the rain forget it. The tires just spin and you get torque steer from side to side. I also find myself always checking the gauges to make sure everything is within spec. It always is and has never wavered but I check any way. The driving experience well fun and fast is not something you would probably want to do everyday.

·
Banned
2,745 Posts
speed is everything. its the reason i take the long way to work everyday, just so i can step on the gas, feel the torque pulling me forward, and its an instant smile....

for me it will always be speed, nothing can beat that rush. just feeling the g-forces push your body back and forward, side to side, then having your balls shrink up as you know you're taking a turn too fast or that moment of fear when you're not sure you'll make it..... that's being alive.

and besides, i've been known to do a bit of street racing every now and then, so that extra power comes in handy.... :eek:

but its also handling thats key for me. those old school camaros and mustangs can go really fast in a straight line, but any kind of turn and they're history. thats why the imports are always better, because they can do so much more then just a 1/4 mile!.

·
Tired...New Father
1,693 Posts
david said:
Overall to me no. I have multiple different cars that serve completely different functions.

The b15 is actually probably the most comfortable car out of the bunch but that comes with a caveat. I have made it somewhat less fun to drive. Yes it is nice to sit down in the leather seats and the interior feels much more comfortable to look around. The driving experience with the turbo is completely different though. I have introduced quirks to the car which take away from wanting to drive it everyday. It has a cold idle issue which requires you to start the car and hold the throttle for a minute or so to make sure it will stay running. Yes after it is warm it has no idle issues but its still a slight inconvenience. Part of the ecu programming makes the car stumble under part throttle until the coolant temp comes up so if you pull directly out into traffic you have to remember that. The clutch turns into a on/off switch in a sense. Well its not hard on your foot its hard to modulate correctly mostly due to the hydraulic setup and the fact the clutch engages almost at the top of the throw. Couple that with the lightened flywheel and getting moving smoothly becomes a challenge. On a hill you have to very careful or you end up doing a burnout without trying. Handling is ok for now, though I'm not happy with it as it pushes like a pig. That is a easy fix with parts I have waiting to go on though. The brakes squeak loudly coming to a stop at anything past just rolling. It just happens to be a function of the pads in the wilwood calipers. The brakes stop great, almost too great as going to other cars to drive them you quickly wish those cars could stop that well. Going around turns the pads scrape against the rotors though. The car does drone a bit but not nearly as bad as the NX and for having a 3" turbo back exhaust it really is not that bad. The popping out of it can get kinda annoying though. As far as the power delivery it is great with the GT28RS with a few exceptions. 1st and 2nd gear are pretty much worthless. They are way too short. Any throttle position past 1/2 throttle in second will roast the tires and get you weird looks by people driving next to you. After 2nd though the sky is the limit. You get up to speed so quickly you look down and realize you should tap the brakes. In the rain forget it. The tires just spin and you get torque steer from side to side. I also find myself always checking the gauges to make sure everything is within spec. It always is and has never wavered but I check any way. The driving experience well fun and fast is not something you would probably want to do everyday.
David if you had it to do again, would you?

Personally I'm kinda out of the bragging rights deal...(ie to have XX time at the strip) I'm just getting older. I like to have a bit of power when needed or desired but I think I am focusing on more of an all around car. I want a well rounded B15. Lord knows it's never going to be the fastest B15 around (unless I keep it until all other B15's are dead and gone) and I know this. I will stay with my bolt-ons and a few other accessories and try to complete the car the way I believe it should be, balanced. The only desire I have left is to try a little auto cross. I seriously doubt I will ever be as competitive as many that have been working on successful seasons before me but I look at it this way. I have done all that I have to this point b/c it's fun (a hobby if you will). I look at auto cross the same way. It'll be a fun exp and will perhaps make me a better driver b/c of it.

Just my own .02 :)

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
009 -2.0 SE- said:
David if you had it to do again, would you?
Yeah in the end its a good learning experience. The car is far from done really. The suspension is no where I want it which will probably make it even less of a car I would want to drive everyday. So it will be fast, handle well and basically become a car that gets driven once a week or something like that.

As I get older I just find that if you have the money just have cars with different functions. Right now all I am missing is a truck of some kind. ;)

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
I just want a car with enough power that I enjoy it. You get to apoint in your life (well, some of us do) when impressing people becomes the last thing on the list- I drive around without my interior, and I only auto-x a 1/2 dozen times per year! But I enjoy it. A 330i would be nice, but the ol' SE is good for now.
'Nuff said

·
122 Hours Of Fear
13,552 Posts
tgenius said:
I think it's a very valid question. Yes, I understand some people are just craving the utmost power bla bla bla. Here's my point:If you go to the strip to get a XX second car... then sure, having a horsepower machine makes alot of sense.

I get into these discussions all the time. People tell me "Roly, for 31k, you could get an STi which will blow your G35 out of the water." Is an STi faster? Absolutely, you will NEVAR get an arguement out of me on that. I switched my perfectly good B15 SE for a RWD G35... Does it have more power? Most definately.... is it comfortable? Absolutely... more creature comforts then I could ever really use.

So back to the point... for the people who only drive on the street.. what's the point to have an STi or an Evo when you shouldn't be racing on them? :D
Must not be a big factor for you...having an automatic G35 and all ? :D

·
Canyon junkie! ( ^o^) <3
4,332 Posts
tgenius said:
Exactly. It's like all those fools that I see out here in CA. They're all too scared to drive their cars. I ask myself, "Why did this fool buy this bad @ss car in the first place only to drive it around like a grandma & never compete in some sort or motorsport event or take it out to the canyons?" :confused:

So yeah. I pity the fools that don't put their car to use. They should be driving a gas sipping Scion xB instead!!! :mad: I want one of those too. :p

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
NatlCitySentra said:
I think it goes back to what my father always tried to explain to me when I first started driving and he at the time had a mint condition 400hp 1972 Stingray Corvette. I always asked him why he had a bad azz corvette but never raced around on the street with it and he would say, "Because I just like knowing the power is there..." and thats all he cared about. So maybe the reason people want the EVO or STi for example is bc they know that awesome power is there, and when you are accelerating on an onramp, nothing feels better than going pedal to the metal...to properly merge with traffic of course. :D

What he said. :D

1 - 20 of 179 Posts