B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my other car today, a 1997 Nissan Altima with 60,000 miles on it, and I have a question. I don't know too much about the mechanics of cars so tell me, is it bad to acclerate past 4000 RPMS in first gear in an automatic transmission with this many miles on the car?

Thanks in advance,
Bryan

·
Registered
104 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryan:
I was driving my other car today, a 1997 Nissan Altima with 60,000 miles on it, and I have a question. I don't know too much about the mechanics of cars so tell me, is it bad to acclerate past 4000 RPMS in first gear in an automatic transmission with this many miles on the car?

Thanks in advance,
Bryan
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm...I don't see a problem with that. One thing that I notice with automatics is that when you take off from a standstill, and you depress the gas continually, it likes to stay revved till you sorta let up, then it changes gear. Anyone know what I'm talking about? How would you go about making sure the automatic was still smooth as silk like when you first got it? :) Is that the problem you are having, it not switching to 2nd gear until you let up considerably?

------------------
Marvin, aka Original Mr Sentra
2000 Nissan Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 spd, Avalanche
Current Mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's really no problem...it's just that I don't normally rev that high in my Altima--except for this time :) so I was curious if it was bad or something. You're right though, in automatics, the engine continues to rev either until it changes gears itself or when you let up on the acclerator a little bit.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
It's not gonna hurt it if you do it efvery so often,,,,but if you continuesly do it then you'll end up running into problems later down the road.....

------------------

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung Cat-Back,Place Racing CAI,and Painted Calipers & Rotors
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

·
Still Faster Then You...
1,465 Posts
nope if it was really bad for u to rev a motor that high the computer(ECU) wouldn't let you rev it out so if it lets you you are fine

------------------
2001 sentra SE 2.0
w/ perforance package,
DTM muffler, custom cold air intake, NOS/ZEX hybrid Nitrous system 55 shot, HID bulbs all around. Ti vavle springs and retainers, Port and polished head, ported intake manifold, bored TB, port matched to gaskets, 5 angle vavle job. Eibach Sportline springs. x15.5 @ 88(STOCK) 14.8 @ 94(on the bottle),

·
Registered
104 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chip:
nope if it was really bad for u to rev a motor that high the computer(ECU) wouldn't let you rev it out so if it lets you you are fine

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. 4k isn't that high up there for how much miles you are on. Just don't take it too high too often. This is also hard on your oil. I found this out on my last oil change. I've been driving hard and it shows with my oil. Black as night with 3000 miles. I think I might switch to synthetics. :)

------------------
Current Mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake
"Hey guys, drive safe and no accidents!"

·
Registered
816 Posts
Revving a car is not bad for it as long as the whole car is properly lubricated. Make sure that you change your oil at the recommended times and with auto trannies, make sure you change the transmission oil every 15,000 miles.

The weakest part of an auto tranny is the torque convertor (this is the part where torque from the engine is transferred to the transmission fluid which then transfers the energy to the differential connected to the drive axles). Doing "jack-rabbit" starts are going to wear down the torque convertor (just like they'll wear down the clutch on a manual tranny) but if you gradually rev to 4000 rpm, it will not harm the engine whatsoever. I used to have a 94 Accord auto that I used to redline all the time even with 120,000 miles on it. Tranny and engine were still fine cuz I made sure to change the fluids religiously.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your input. It's good to know I can get good information from people who know what they're talking about.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Marvin- what oil are you using
in my home we got castrol gtx in all of our cars
i drive my car hard, and so does my brother(he has a max) and castrol after 3K is not black at all, maybe its just the oil you are using

------------------
94 XE 2 door 5 speed, Tenzo-R intake,

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yep, I agree with RadiumJohn, as long as the car has been properly maintained, it shouldn't cause you any problems. The factory redline is there for a reason.

------------------
2001 SE 5-spd. w/PP Granite

Minor cosmetic mods....
HID-look headlamps & hyperwhite fogs. Autozone rubber antenna, blue aluminum valve stem caps. (not much...but it's a start!)
Lots of mods planned...waiting for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

·
Registered
104 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by XtremE:
Marvin- what oil are you using
in my home we got castrol gtx in all of our cars
i drive my car hard, and so does my brother(he has a max) and castrol after 3K is not black at all, maybe its just the oil you are using

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been running stock oil from the dealership, and I got a cheap oil change at Firestone, Kendall 10W30? I don't think I'm using good stuff....I'd like to do it myself, but it's a pain not having my own place to do it at.

------------------
"Hey guys, drive safe and no accidents!"

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Marvin-

Why don't you take the oil to whoever and tell them to put it in- They will. Me personally- Mobil 1 is all I use. It's cheap insurance for an $18,000 car.

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans

1 - 12 of 12 Posts