B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's one of several emails I sent several companies (this one is Intrax)regarding their coilover setup and development for the b15's...

ME:
I was browsing your site and noticed only springs available for the 2000+ B15 Sentra. Can we can anticpate a developement in the future of the ARS system for our application?

There are differences in the b15 and the b14(1995-1999) shocks/struts. If you are concerned about the support of the community, feel free to stop by www.b15sentra.net, of which I am co-webmaster, and visit the discussion board. We may not be as large as clubsi, but they don't have the SE-R coming out in 2002 either. Which by the way is the same chassis. This would give you an edge on the competition to have a product out and ready before it is, also benefiting the non-SE-R drivers until then.

I thank you in advance for your positive response and look forward to hearing from you and spreading the word to all the members!

and the intrax response:
We mainly are focusing on the spring kits. We have looked into doing sway bars for the Sentra. Check back with us in late Summer for these. As for the coil-overs we have done some research and found that the Sentra customers are not looking to spend any where from 1799.00 to 1999.00 for a full coil-over system. If you feel different let me know.
Regards,

ok, a couple of good points in this response. first, springs are available and sway bars are coming sometime this year. offhand i don't know the drop or spring rate, so don't ask me. :D

what really gets under my skin is the part i put in BOLD. Is this to say that sentra drivers are cheap, penny pinching tightwads? is this saying that sentra drivers are not interested in a TRUE coilover setup? is it saying that sentra drivers are less enthusiasts than honda drivers? is it saying that sentra drivers would rather get a cheap *** suspension setup and live with a crappy ride than spend the extra money to get a true made-to-fit coilover setup that rides like a dream while at the same time giving you better handling than you can imagine? is it saying that sentra drivers have no real clue as to the differences and benefits of a true fit colover setup vs the cheap ones? maybe it indicates that sentra drivers would rather have an inferior product? whatever it says to you, that is the general consensus of the aftermarket industry when it comes to sentra owners. why make a great product for the few who are willing to do it right? plain and simple, no candy coating.

as this was said many times before, you can always get a cheaper coilover setup, but you will get what you pay for. not all of us have the opportunity to drop $1500-$2000 on a suspension setup, for whatever reason. i know right now, i don't either, but i will.(please don't list the reasons for that is irrelevant.) sometimes, we need to take one for the team. sacrifice of a few for the betterment of many.

This really has no ill will toward intrax or any other suspension manufacturer that we have tried to get to work with us. they are there to make money. our destiny is in our own hands at this point. so do we wait for someone else to do it? do we hope the SE-R will bring a miracle from the aftermarket? do we do nothing? do we just piss and moan about little to no choices? do what you feel is right for you. i know what i'm doing.

viva la resistance! :D

------------------
MY PAGE
WAIT! USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION

[This message has been edited by 2000SE (edited April 12, 2001).]

·
Registered
149 Posts
$2k for suspension?? I think they have a point there, that is crazy money, even compared to what I am accustomed to paying for my Dub. Whatever happened to a decent lowering spring/strut setup? Springs only will only blow your stock units out. Only a few will go for coilovers but many will go for a spring/strut setup. You did bring up some good points with the new SE-R coming out. Maybe when that is here they will change their minds.

------------------
'97 VW Golf Trek - modded
'00 Sentra SE - PP, PIAAs, Tint

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Raises guns and yells,,,,,Charge along side 2000SE :D

------------------

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung Cat-Back,Place Racing CAI,and Painted Calipers & Rotors
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think in some ways Intrax is right and also they are wrong. I cannot see myself spending 2k on a suspension set up. 1.5-2k + a little bit more gets yourself a custom turbo. I don't see why they could justify that remark that they made. The Civic Si is basically in the same market as we are, an econo-car with a kick *** engine in it. Theirs being the b16a and ours being the all powerful sr20de. I think it is unfair to say that Si owners would be more willing to shell out the big bucks. Intrax's main concern would be the demand. They have to make money somehow and cutting down one section of the market is not the way to do it.

-iLL

------------------
2001 Sentra SE w/ Performance Package, Place Racing CAI, Stromung Full Cat-back, Custom Grille,Pioneer DEHP 2000 + 4x TS-1675's
[email protected] mph

·
I am a mother****er
675 Posts
Well, I would definitely not spend 1500-2000 on Intrax stuff. If I was going to spend that kind of $$ on suspension goodies, I would first talk to Motivational and see if they could whip up something for the B15. Or I would look into a Truechoice set up, or at least try to coax them into helping the B15ers out. After them, i would probably go with the B+G coilovers, that is if they have the right spring rates and enough suspension travel.later

------------------
Avalanche 2000 Sentra SE/PP, JWT POP, Advanced Timing @ 17 deg.,205/50ZR16 Bridgestone Potenza RE730s, and coming soon...Stromung midpipe and custom rear section w/Apex i muffler

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nismo00:
Well, I would definitely not spend 1500-2000 on Intrax stuff. If I was going to spend that kind of $$ on suspension goodies, I would first talk to Motivational

Or I would look into a Truechoice set up,

or i would probably go with the B+G coilovers, that is if they have the right spring rates and enough suspension travel.later

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the intrax manufacturer was just an example of emails i have been sending. motivational, talked to them and truchoice too. all are in the works or something to that effect.

------------------
MY PAGE

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ironically, the se-r mailing list seems to be discussing the same stuff. here are some excerpts from this discussion from persons like mike kojima and rob cadle to name a few...

the independant rebound/compression
adjustment that you get with the Truechoice setup really allows you to dial in the
suspension for an awesome street ride. The Moticational suspension is very good, especially for the $$'s, but the Koni's it uses are rebound-only adjustable. The compression damping has a lot to do with ride quality, and with Motivational, you get what you get. This doesn't mean that the
car won't be good. It just means that with Truechoice, you can tune it in better.

The Truechoice suspension is a real winner. It is heads and shoulders above the GAB/AGX and GC combo. It's three times as xpensive, too, but it is very good!

different poster...
There really isnt much point to buying new shocks if youre going to blow them
anyway when you lower the car too much. If extreme (more than 1-1.5") loweringis really the goal, dont kid yourself with the handling argument, and just buy the springs and put them on stock shocks. If you want to lower the car a *little* and greatly improve the ride, the GC/AGX combo is a very good, relatively inexpensive option, especially if you throw in some Motivational rear mounts as well. If you want to lower your car a lot and get kickass handling,
save your money and shell out for a shortened-body coilover setup from some
place like Motivataional, Truechoice, or Shocktek.

ok, another one...
With stock springs or street lowering springs, the car won't handle that well. Street lowering springs, especialy sprint and Eibach Sportline lower the car way too much for the spring rate. Stock springs are
too soft and the car rolls too much specialy in the transitions. It loses negative camber under roll further making things bad.

You also have to get the GC coil over kit to get spring rates that will keep the car off the bumpstops in the corners. Street lowering springs don't have enough spring rate to do that. With a motivational
rear mount and stiff enough Eibach ERS springs for the coilovers, the car can be lowered about 1-1.5" at the very most.

The motivational rear mount is very important as the B14 has almost no rear wheel travel. It only has about 1.75" stock!
Koni MCU bumpstops should be used also with this setup.

The car will handle very well like this but it won't be that low. It is also very improtant to get enough negative camber. If you cannot afford good camber plates, then
get a drill and slightly drill out the lower strut mounting bolt hole, this will allow you to adjust the front camber to about 1.5-2 degrees negative. For street use set your toe to zero. Don't use camber bolts as they will slip.

If you usue camber plates, get the Ground Control ones as they will also allow you to lower your car another 3/4 inch without losing any travel. The Eibach or Cortesy STB works with the GC plates. You need to
file one rear coner of the plate a little to get clearance.

it really comes down to what you want. if you want a lowered look and aggressive handling or do you want slightly lowered with excellent handling and a better than stock ride. whatever is important to you.

------------------
MY PAGE

·
I am a mother****er
675 Posts
Hey 2000SE, does the B15 have as bad of a problem w/ travel as the B14? I'm still not sure if I should spend alot of money on my suspension because I am trying to save for a classic. But what I was really considering before the classic idea came into my head is either a simple sportline/AGX combo or a little better GC/AGX combo. I didn't plan on using the Motivational mounts because I didnt think the B15's travel issue was as bad as previous models.later

------------------
Avalanche 2000 Sentra SE/PP, JWT POP, Advanced Timing @ 17 deg.,205/50ZR16 Bridgestone Potenza RE730s, and coming soon...Stromung midpipe and custom rear section w/Apex i muffler

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, from speaking with some of the suspension shops, it doesn't seem to have gotten any better. supposedly, it is the same travel as the b14.

------------------
MY PAGE

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Wow, what great info! I'm very excited about getting a good suspension setup. The drop does concern me, but I'm looking way more for performance and ride quality. So, can you actually go hook up with a GC/AGX combo right now? What about the Motivation mounts? How much is this setup going to cost? Also, so I guess the stock STB won't fit anymore after the mod..how much do those Eibach STB's cost? :)

Thanks fellas!

------------------
Marvin
-2000 Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 Spd, Avalanche
Current mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake
Future mods:Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, Window Tint
-Previous Owner 1995 Sentra GXE, w/mods, Auto, Maroon

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
marvin, if you were a dog, your tail would be waggin like 12,000 rpms!

the emails that i inserted here are mainly relating to the b13\b14 setup. it was mainly as an example of different setups and stuff. i know there are certain b14 parts we can use but they need adjustments. i wish i could remember exactly. hopefully david will help me out here!

------------------
MY PAGE

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2000SE:
marvin, if you were a dog, your tail would be waggin like 12,000 rpms!

the emails that i inserted here are mainly relating to the b13\b14 setup. it was mainly as an example of different setups and stuff. i know there are certain b14 parts we can use but they need adjustments. i wish i could remember exactly. hopefully david will help me out here!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dang it man, you got me all excited!! Anyone have any "IN STONE" suspension setup's for the B15's, please keep me posted! :)

Some days, I wish I was a B14... :p

------------------
Marvin
Current mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Original Mr Sentra:
Dang it man, you got me all excited!! Anyone have any "IN STONE" suspension setup's for the B15's, please keep me posted! :)

Some days, I wish I was a B14... :p

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah Marvin B+G has them for the B15 already,,,,Just that they cost $1800.00

------------------

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung Cat-Back,Place Racing CAI,and Painted Calipers & Rotors
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ground Control has them R+D'in right now. We should be able to purchase them in about 2-3 weeks! I can't wait!

-iLL

------------------
2001 Sentra SE w/ Performance Package, Place Racing CAI, Stromung Full Cat-back, Custom Grille,Pioneer DEHP 2000 + 4x TS-1675's
[email protected] mph

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iLLt3cK:
Ground Control has them R+D'in right now. We should be able to purchase them in about 2-3 weeks! I can't wait!

-iLL

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>ILL any idea on a price????

------------------

MODS:
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Another post of ILL's say $399. :)

------------------
Marvin

·
Registered
446 Posts
thanks OG Sentra !

-iLL

------------------
[email protected] mph

1 - 18 of 18 Posts