B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know I'm a freak posting this sh*t on the boards at 2am, but I just wanted to share my experiences with installing the PR CAI.

First of all, that thing was a total b**ch to install! I ran into all sorts of problems. I recommend you guys install the CAI BEFORE you get drop springs or coilovers.
And even with the vaseline that 2000SE and Illteck (i think it was him) recommended, it took FOREVER to work the darn rubber reducer onto the MAF! Not to mention the fact the the tubes BARELY fit into my car. I think if I played with the tubes a little more, I could have gotten a better setup with more slack though.

Anyways, after HOURS of madness, I finally got the darn thing on. So I start my car and low and behold, the freakin service engine soon light comes on! Stupid me, I forgot to reconnect the sensor that hooks into the lower intake tube.
My car is currently sitting in the garage with the negative disconnected on the battery, in hopes that the ECU will reset and the SES light won't show in the morning.
But anyways, after that all was well.

So I took my baby for a drive and daaayyyaammnn! The thing is SWEET! Darkside's description of the sound was totally accurate. At low RPMs, it's pretty quiet. After 4 RPM an ungodly growl fills the cabin and I get a woody! I love this CAI! The sound is just soooo clean.

And just for the heck of it, I tried to bust on this lime green integra (yuck). Needless to say, he burned me pretty badly. Don't know what he had in his ride, but he pulled on me pretty hard! Oh well. I lost. But I had fun doing it.

Well anyways, that's it. All the trouble I went through was TOTALLY worth it. Can't wait to get some headers or pulleys. And I even learned something from all this... that I'll never make it as a mechanic.
Alrite then people. Time for me to sleep. Late.

------------------
Jae

'00 SE w/ PP
Dropped and some other stuff...

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
cool deal man i can't wait until i get my PR CAI and get rid of my Stillen Pop-cone I want the little more power.....but i was already thinking if it was that hard to stretch the rubber pieces over the tubes,,,,I am gonna heat the rubber up a bit probably with a heat gun and it should go right over easier......

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

·
Registered
112 Posts
SR20DE 2K during your installation do you have to cut any piece off the fander wall ? or the thing just fit perfectly? Did u used some rubbing alcohol when installing the rubber tubes? Try that rub the alcohol around the plactic tube.. then rubber parts will get in the MAF much easier. At least that how I put my intake on my civic b4.

------------------
B15-SE w/ sport package.
5spd. Black.

·
Registered
259 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sentra Styling:
I am gonna heat the rubber up a bit probably with a heat gun and it should go right over easier......
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't hold your breathe SS. i nuked mine and didn't do anything except burn the sh*t outa my hands.
just work it and be patient and try a little dab of vaseline. also, a small flathead screwdriver will be helpful to gently pop it over the outer edges.

edit: if you haven't seen my other post, you can always get a 3" dia peice of radiator hose and cut out a 3" long section. that will fit perfectly.

------------------
MY PAGE

[This message has been edited by 2000SE (edited March 02, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Originally posted by SR20DE 2K:
So I took my baby for a drive and daaayyyaammnn! The thing is SWEET! Darkside's description of the sound was totally accurate. At low RPMs, it's pretty quiet. After 4 RPM an ungodly growl fills the cabin and I get a woody! I love this CAI! The sound is just soooo clean.

See brah, i wasnt exaggerating(splchk)...the cai is fuggn sic and then with a header...

------------------
*Josh*
*myb15*

G

·
What about performance though? Sound is only part of the equation. hehe.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd Cloud White.
MODS:
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back. (It was here, but now it's gone...but it will be back soon!!)
- Hotshot CAI (In a Fed Ex Truck.)
Click HERE To Visit My Website!

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yea. Heheh! There IS an extra pull in higher RPM!
Feels sweet! I forgot to mention that in my essay earlier. The CAI does bring power you can feel! I NEED MORE PERFORMANCE MODS!!! I'm so addicted...

As for the heat gun thing, I tried that too. My friend ended burning HIS hand trying do to it for me.
The heat gun didn't really help much. The flathead screwdriver is a must.

You can actually get away with BENDING the hole open with a plier, rather than cutting it. You really don't need THAT much clearance. I'd still go with the cutting though cuz you're going to scratch your lower tube with all that bent metal around.

Alcohol? Hmm... didn't think of that. Vaseline worked pretty well too.

Well I'm not gonna start another essay. Get your CAIs on and happy revving! Thanks for all those install tips before, everyone!

------------------
Jae

'00 SE w/ PP

·
Registered
446 Posts
I had to cut mine, there would be way too much rubbing on the whole even with grommet. The whole MAF fitting ordeal is best with to people. First lube it up with some vaseline (not too much) then one take a screw driver and pry the rubber housing over the lower tube while the other twists and pushes down. Its also good to use the rubber piece that fits around the sensor in the lower tube. PRI did it this way so you can get the best fit. Another thing is, you might notice some rubbing between CAI and battery, because my install got really close. I'm going to go out and buy some padding for it today. Hope this helps!

-iLL

------------------
2001 Sentra SE w/ Performance Package, Place Racing CAI, Custom Grille,Pioneer DEHP 2000 + 4x TS-1675's

·
Registered
605 Posts
When you cut the fender, it is metal correct? Do you worry about rusting later on in the future? Is there something that I could put on it to prevent rust? Or should I just not worry about it?

------------------
SR20DE..Sorry Si guys.

G

·
I'm letting a body shop do that modification. I don't feel qualified in cutting up my car. hehe. Plus, I am going to have them "touch up" the exposed cut edge. Over time, it could start corroding....especially if you live where they use road salt. That stuff gets everywhere.

------------------
MODS:
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back. (It was here, but now it's gone...but it will be back soon!!)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
That's why when i do mine i am gonna do it myself but I am gonna spray the area down with an undercoating spray or something to protect it from rust.....I am one that lives in a salted area

------------------

CAR:

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have touchup paint. Do you think that woill work ok?

------------------
SR20DE..Sorry Si guys.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maxximtl:
especially if you live where they use road salt. That stuff gets everywhere.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah up north here we don't buy salt from a store we go outside and scrape it of the roads,,,but my self personally I scrape it off my tires cause it's grounded up better...
J/K

------------------

CAR:

MODS:

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by azninvazion:
I have touchup paint. Do you think that woill work ok?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Touchup paint would work, but brush on a lot of it. Don't leave any spots uncovered. You might want to check on it from time to time to see if it's rusting though.

------------------
Jae

'00 SE w/ PP

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iLLt3cK:
Another thing is, you might notice some rubbing between CAI and battery, because my install got really close. I'm going to go out and buy some padding for it today. Hope this helps!

-iLL

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah. I have that battery rubbing thing too. Is that going to be a problem or should I go out and get some padding too? Or would it really matter? My CAI lower tube is already scratched a little bit.
It's kinda hard to do a CAI install at night.

Oh by the way... the ECU does check itself from time to time. Remember I said I got the Service Engine Soon light cuz I started my car w/ one of the sensors disconnected? It's been only a day and the light has turned off!

------------------
Jae

'00 SE w/ PP

[This message has been edited by SR20DE 2K (edited March 02, 2001).]

G

·
Did you have to modify the battery tray for the install? Hotshot at one point mentioned to me that you cut away a corner of the battery tray. I was just curious if the PR was the same way.

------------------
MODS:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Nope, no modification to the battery tray at all, I'm going to put some sort of little padding on the side of the pipe so they don't rub just to be safe. I used the grommet as well as some of my own padding for the hole I cut, I'm in texas and I don't think the TXDOT guys know what road salt is luckily for me!

-iLL

------------------
2001 Sentra SE w/ Performance Package, Place Racing CAI, Custom Grille,Pioneer DEHP 2000 + 4x TS-1675's

·
Registered
124 Posts
I installed my Hotshot CAI tonight. I agree it was a total ***** to get the thing to fit, and I did have to cut the hole bigger. I also had to hack off a little bit of my battery tray. It is in there tight now though and all I can say is thank god you don't have to take it out to clean the filter.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SE-R
aim Stea1th727

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 97 Black SER:
I installed my Hotshot CAI tonight. I agree it was a total ***** to get the thing to fit, and I did have to cut the hole bigger. I also had to hack off a little bit of my battery tray. It is in there tight now though and all I can say is thank god you don't have to take it out to clean the filter.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You don't have to take it out to clean the filter????? why don't you it's still gonna get dirty.......

------------------

CAR:

MODS:

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I'll tell you one thing though after reading the april 2001 SCC about the articale about the AEM bypass valve on page 64,,,,,I am deffinetly going to buy a AEm bypass valve

------------------

CAR:

MODS:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts