B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah it comes with no stock shway bar so yeah.

1. take off wheelz

2. unscrew rear motor mount cross-bolt. 14mm

3. unscrew rear motor mount sub-frame bolts. 17mm

4. partially unscrew front motor mount sub-frame bolts. Leave them still screwed in, dont pull em off too much. 17mm

5. Yank rear MM off the mount and let it hang down.

6. Remove cotter pin from Tie Rod end. pliers.

7. Unscrew Tie Rod Nuts. 14mm

8. Detach Tie Rod Ends. Use Ball Joint Separator and Hammer.

9. Remove Rubber grommets from FSB.

10. Work the FSB into position somehow. LOL.

11. Replace rubber grommets back on FSB and place brackets on them, screw all the bolts down lightly. Then proceed to screw them all down completely.

12. Place Sway Bar Endlinks in place and screw lightly to control arm.

13. Screw Sway Bar endlinks onto FSB and screw everything down nice and tight.

14. Reattach all the stuff you took off and youre done.

Some pics of when i was done.











Notes:

My car didnt come with a FSB so i had to buy
- Endlinks (54618-4z000)
- Brackets(54614-4m700)

I also had to buy the Endlink bushings but i bought the Energy Suspension Polyurethanes instead of stock rubbers why not right?
-ES bushings (98106G)


Also had to purchase:
- Nuts for the endlinks which were M10-1.25 size.
- Bolts for the brackets which were M10-1.25 x 40MM

I bought all class 8.8 S.S. from Home Depot.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Difference is huge. For those who have a FSB and get a thicker one im sure its not that big of a diff but not having one for all this time and then having one the difference is like whoa...

First of all, there's a lot of understeer i noticed. But i noticed also that the car feels less squirrely going into and out of turns. Also noticed that the car holds the line better when doing really tight cornering and is more predictable on the way out.

On the highway the car switches lanes like a tank. There's no hesitation or anything like that. I point the wheels and they go where i tell em. The only thing i dont like is that without the FSB i had to use less strength to switch lanes and now i have to kinda hold it there telling it to go. But the trade off is a much more stable feeling front end that i can definitely live with!


So yeah my suspension currently stands at:

- Nismo LCA's
- Nismo FSB
- Progress RSB
- Tarmaq RTB
- Generic E-gay FSTB
- Superpro TA Bushings
- Eibach Sportlines Gen 2
- KYB GR-2 Struts

it handles nice :D I guess the next thing would be k-sports or something like that. I had an LTB but i could barely feel a difference so i sold it.
 

·
SR20DE
Joined
·
1,154 Posts
Good write up with great pictures. I am starting to look for some suspension upgrades for my SE and want to do the following: (suspension wish list :) )

Nismo RSB
Nismo LTB and FSB (if installation does not requiere TOO much modifications)
Nismo hard bushing kit
Nismo suspension kit

All in all expensive but an engineered and proven winner.

How do you like your GR2's? I have a set of Sprint springs in the garage waiting for installation but I need new shocks so I am looking at the KYB's.
What part did you order and was the install a straight bolt on?

Post a picture of your car, I'd like to see how it stands with your springs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
I have the GR2s on with Tien S-Techs and the difference is huge over the stock setup for my SE.. They seemed a lot tighter when i was putting them in so maybe unsprung weight has something to do with it.

Nice write up! I am planning to get in on the next FSB group buy... :) My SE has the Performance Pack, but she seems to wallow in tight corners and i'm not too confident with it. ES Bushings are a must!
 

·
Not your parent(s)
Joined
·
3,291 Posts
Suprized to hear you have understeer. I thought by adding this it would stiffen up the front and give oversteer. (rear kicks out easier)
 

·
Fogey
Joined
·
4,298 Posts
You have it backwards Lee.
 

·
knotrly
Joined
·
1,295 Posts
Tony great write up, except i am a little dissapointed in the explination of snaking the FSB in. I am pretty sure there is no set method but that is really the hardest part, so i have read. Good to see someone putting in so much time into taking pics and writing up procedure.

My only question is I'm thinking of getting the Nismo RSB, only becuase it is the biggest one and isnt insanly more expensive then other RSBs, would an aftermarket FSB really make a difference worth investing in. I have the stock one on the SE but cant really figure out if it is worth the investment.

Currently im running brand new Spec-v Gr-2s and Eibach Pro-kit. I am planning on getting the FSB for my birthday and new tires come tax return. Any suggestions?

thanks, Turco
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SportE-B15 said:
Good write up with great pictures. I am starting to look for some suspension upgrades for my SE and want to do the following: (suspension wish list :) )

Nismo RSB
Nismo LTB and FSB (if installation does not requiere TOO much modifications)
Nismo hard bushing kit
Nismo suspension kit

All in all expensive but an engineered and proven winner.

How do you like your GR2's? I have a set of Sprint springs in the garage waiting for installation but I need new shocks so I am looking at the KYB's.
What part did you order and was the install a straight bolt on?

Post a picture of your car, I'd like to see how it stands with your springs.
Nice. The LTB and FSB require no modifications at all. I had an LTB but i got rid of it. All you will need to install the LTB will be two 22mm deep sockets and some elbow grease.

The FSB takes some coaxing to get it to go in all the way but its by no means an impossible task.

The hard bushing kit is also a simple installation provided u have the right tools. Nismo suspension i cant help u with. After everything is done it should handle pretty well. I dont have any pics right now of my car but im going to a meet tomorrow so ill snap some there.

The KYB's are just stock replacement struts. Part numbers i have posted before and installation is just like installing stock struts.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KnightBird said:
I have the GR2s on with Tien S-Techs and the difference is huge over the stock setup for my SE.. They seemed a lot tighter when i was putting them in so maybe unsprung weight has something to do with it.

Nice write up! I am planning to get in on the next FSB group buy... :) My SE has the Performance Pack, but she seems to wallow in tight corners and i'm not too confident with it. ES Bushings are a must!
Yeah the bushings i got em but i never felt what the stock ones are like so i guess ill just have to live knowing i have the best ones there. LOL.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
turco said:
Tony great write up, except i am a little dissapointed in the explination of snaking the FSB in. I am pretty sure there is no set method but that is really the hardest part, so i have read. Good to see someone putting in so much time into taking pics and writing up procedure.
Dude to tell you the truth it wasnt that hard. Granted, the car was on a lift and i was getting help from an expert but nonetheless, on my search to find out how to install it i ran across threads where people mentioned that they unbolted their ENTIRE STEERING RACK. This wasnt necessary to get the FSB in.


turco said:
My only question is I'm thinking of getting the Nismo RSB, only becuase it is the biggest one and isnt insanly more expensive then other RSBs, would an aftermarket FSB really make a difference worth investing in. I have the stock one on the SE but cant really figure out if it is worth the investment.
Get the RSB for sure, the difference is huge. Regarding the FSB. I never had a stock one, so i cant tell you about the difference of stock vs. nismo. :confused:

turco said:
Currently im running brand new Spec-v Gr-2s and Eibach Pro-kit. I am planning on getting the FSB for my birthday and new tires come tax return. Any suggestions?

thanks, Turco
Regarding the strut/spring combos mentioned in this thread. If i had a chance to start over from scratch with my suspension, knowing what i know now, I would spend the money and get a set of full race coilover without hesitations. Back when i first joined i wasnt really planning on going balls out on my suspension but as time went by and i installed parts after parts i realized that i loved how small mods could change the way the car handles at low and high speeds.

To date, I have gone through 3 sets of springs looking for that 'just right' setup. And let me tell you it has been a complete waste of money, first it was the megans, then it was the progresses and then it was the sportlines. That right there is about $500 in springs. The megans i threw in a dumpster after i took them off and the progresses i sold for like $80 bux to a local kid. The sportlines were the best of the three. Now add the money for the KYB's around $180 plus all the hardware for strut mounts and bolts, etc and im at $700 or so then add the money for spec struts i foolishly bought when i first started modding and we're at $800. what a fool.

Right now its too late to trash my strut/spring combo as they are functional and work good and arent nowhere near blown. I'm happy. But come time to replace them, you can bet your asss i will be getting me the best coilover kit i can afford.

Moral of the story: If you are serious about your suspension, i suggest u dont waste your moolah on strut/spring combo and instead go the right way from the begginning. Yes, it will cost more but it will be a sound investment and will last you a long time and will perform the best possible from day 1 till (hopefully) the day you sell them.
 

·
i dont wanna copy shannon
Joined
·
3,180 Posts
good write up tony... that will help me install mine since all i ever read was disassmebling the sterring rack, so it just takes some maneuvering but all-in-all the fsb install wasnt hard? im thinkin about waiting till i get my ksports shipped (2 weeks) and then install coilovers, ltb, fsb, superpro TA bushings...

does any1 know if on the 00 SE w/o PP if I have a stock fsb? if not, do I need to buy the stuff tony bought (endlinks, bolts, brackets, ES bushings, etc.?) thanx
 

·
i dont wanna copy shannon
Joined
·
3,180 Posts
ok cool... so then i dont need to buy anything to have this installed correctly? would it benefit me to buy the bushings from ES and replace those since ill be workin on that part of the car anyways?
 

·
i dont wanna copy shannon
Joined
·
3,180 Posts
according to cburwell i have a stock fsb... but the car is 6+ years old so im thinkin maybe replacing the bushings is a good idea. i dunno.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top