B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my koni's today and everything went well. I set the backs to about 60% firm and the fronts to about 25%. The only problem is, when I took it for a drive, everything was fine except the there was this annoying squeaking sound coming from the back. Now I have no clue what the hell it could be and I would hate to have to take off those bitches again and make sure I got everything. Any ideas on what it could be? As far as I know, everything was installed correctly and maybe the squeaking in the rear isn't shock related. Do you think it could be I tightenedmy wheels too much or something simple and stupid like that? Any ideas anyone?

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
Take out both rear assemblies out and inspect the upper mount. There's a very good chance that the rubber coating has worn away and now you are hearing those wonderful metal on metal squeaking sounds. One layer of duct tape will fix it nicely. You should be glad it's coming from the rear, those are so much easier to take out (3 bolts vs 5) and won't mess up your alignment, unlike the fronts.

·
Hakuna Matata, bishes!
2,354 Posts
Get some white lithium grease and lubricate the rubber parts of the suspension. Also, if you're running on Eibach springs, did you take your stock spring insulators off and put them onto the springs to prevent spring chatter?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
extreme_serene said:
Get some white lithium grease and lubricate the rubber parts of the suspension. Also, if you're running on Eibach springs, did you take your stock spring insulators off and put them onto the springs to prevent spring chatter?
Yeah.....I took the spring insulators off the stock springs and I am running eibachs. The funny thing is, I had the eibachs on the stock springs before and it never made a sqeaking sound. So you think lubricating the rubber parts will help the sqeak? I'll try that. It seems to me that it's the left rear where I hear it coming from and I took a quick look to see if the spring was set of the perch and it appears that it's fine, but I'll take it off and have a look. It maybe also could be just thinking about it that I didn't get the screws tight enough and maybe there's some play in there where the rubber hits the metal and moves around a little causing a sqeaking. I'll just have to take it off and see.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh...i just thought of another quick question. Let's say in the future I wanna adjust the rear shocks, do I have take the springs off too to do it? I would imagine so, but that's a pain in the ***, but nearly as bad as having to take the fronts off. I need to go get an alignment come to think of it.

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
Berlinwall5985 said:
Oh...i just thought of another quick question. Let's say in the future I wanna adjust the rear shocks, do I have take the springs off too to do it? I would imagine so, but that's a pain in the ***, but nearly as bad as having to take the fronts off. I need to go get an alignment come to think of it.
Yeah, that is one drawback of the rear koni yellows, you do need to take the springs off because you need to compress the rear piston all the way in to adjust it.

One nice thing about konis is the established upgradability. Good shops like TrueChoice or even Koni themselves can revalve your yellows for increased damping and add external adjustment in the rear. Not a cheap service though :(

·
Hakuna Matata, bishes!
2,354 Posts
I thought about it more, and the only other thing that I can figure is that the metal washers that you put on the rear Koni's to act as lower spring perches, are kind of free to move. If you put some silicone gasket sealant in the area around the shock that the spring perch sits on, and let that cure, then that might fix that problem. I've never heard any sounds from my rear, and I mean ANY sounds, but I also have the GC's on there. I do, however, have a lot of sounds that come from the fronts. I don't think the Koni's have ever been the cause, but I am certain that the GC's are.

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
Berlinwall5985 said:
I need to go get an alignment come to think of it.
I think alignments are often overlooked by those who drop their car and when it "feels ok" driving, they just let it go. Usually it's the toe setting that's really out of whack, and that will do a number on your tires in no time.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Dangling Fury said:
I think alignments are often overlooked by those who drop their car and when it "feels ok" driving, they just let it go. Usually it's the toe setting that's really out of whack, and that will do a number on your tires in no time.
And Steve means the front toe, as everyone should already know that our rear toe is not adjustable without bending the rear beam.

To answer the original question, Steve's right. The upper mount in the rear likely has the paint chipped off or whatever, and that's making the squeaking. Either that or the spring insulators, but if you put those on the new springs, then the springs themselves shouldn't make any noise.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah...what a pain in the butt. Why can't anything just work correctly the first time I install it. The only install I've ever done that went absolutely smooth with no problems was my motor mount inserts. Took about 15 mins. I was on my knees working on these things with many breaks in between since it was 110* in my damn garage for like 5 hours and of course they have to squeak. I made sure I took my time and got everything perfect and now I wanna kill myself because I have to take them off the car once more. Haha....Well those all sound like plausible ideas. Thanks for the input. The best way I guess is just to take the damn things off once more and try again. And then I can go get my alignment done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts