B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever heard this sub in person? im planning on getting it to replace the 2 RF HE2's i have and im curious if it will be just as loud as the 2 i have right now. i have researched alot about it, and i know that it will be cleaner and tighter than them, im just curious about volume. thanks!
-anthony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,368 Posts
Its probably not going to get as loud as two of the RF's. It all depends on what enclosure you are using now, what enclosure you will be using, how many watts they get, and how many watts the VQ will get.
The VQ is a nice sub and in the right enclosure with the right amp it should be loud enough for most tastes.
It will however sound a lot better as you noted above.
 

·
OT Whore
Joined
·
4,411 Posts
couple people have the vq's on this board. i agree with spec, unless you're changing more than just the sub, it is doubtful that it will be louder than the pair.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
i have VQs (the SVC tho...doesnt make a difference)

i used an old box i had, and hooked up up to my buddies Phoenix Gold Titanium 1200.1....and oh dear god

they thump to the end of the earth
SQ is absolutely UNREAL, ive honestly never heard anything that sounded tighter, and more clean (could have something to do with the amp too)

if you get it, DEFINATELY get a good amp, personally, i'd suggest a JL 500/1 ... sub is rated for 400RMS, but it'll take every watt and laugh, and ask for more. the extra 100watts gives you a bit of headroom, and if you really want, some crazy SPL numbers that not many people would expect out of a single 12

build yourself a (exactly) 1.2CF box, sealed...and use the middle (MidQ) insert. you'll be quite impressed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow, thanks, i wasnt expecting that detailed of a response. so a jl 500/1 for that sub, and if i build it to 1.2 cf, that will make up for the subs displacement, and all that will be louder than the 2 i have now? dont mean to repeat myself, just checking b4 i go shopping and such.
 

·
El Greco
Joined
·
2,296 Posts
basshead said:
wow, thanks, i wasnt expecting that detailed of a response. so a jl 500/1 for that sub, and if i build it to 1.2 cf, that will make up for the subs displacement, and all that will be louder than the 2 i have now? dont mean to repeat myself, just checking b4 i go shopping and such.
I have mine in a 1.2CF sealed box w/ a JL 500/1. It does get loud, but I really cannot tell you if it going to be louder than your currents subs. SQ is unreal though.

Here is a review: http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/10946_eprint.pdf

The guy measured 128db (in car) in a 1CF sealed, which is more than decent for 1 12''. As for power handling, the sub was fed 2000WRMS! and took it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmmm, i have the 2 he2s being powered by a 551s rockford, in a sealed box, they are being under powered, though. lemme ask you this, how loud mine are is not a factor. how loud does yours get, and by that i mean can you feel it in your chest, can you still hear it well on the highway?

i am going more for SQ nowadays, but i would still like to be able to get loud, y'know what i mean? i just need more room in the trunk+ my rear is a lil heavy (cars rear :D )
 

·
OT Whore
Joined
·
4,411 Posts
HEAR it well on the highway? man if 2 12's are fading away under highway wind you've got to get more power :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no, no, i didnt mean that mine were fading, im saying will one of those subs alone fade.?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
no
one sub alone wont fade
look at it like this, a jet plane taking off beside you is like 150dB
these subs hit prob well over 100dB in a proper box with ~ 500w to each.
trust me, it'll BUMP if you push it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ah HA! thanks you all, i believe i have gotten the info i required. i will get the jl 500/1 and the sub. wiring the sub at 2 ohms will be good? ( i assume so cuz the site says either 2 or 8) now all i have to do is build the box to 1.2 cf.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
congrats man
now its you an evangelos running a single kappa 12 perfect VQ off a JL 500/1
yea 2 ohms is fine

personally, i'm running 2 kappa 12 perfect VQs (SVC), wired to 2ohm parallel, running off a Phoenix Gold Xenon 1200.1 (as soon as i get the $$ to order it)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
now i gotta go do math and see if i can squeeze this in next month, lol. i found the 500/1 for 439, do you know where i can get it cheaper/cheapest? the same with the sub... any good sites?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
basshead said:
now i gotta go do math and see if i can squeeze this in next month, lol. i found the 500/1 for 439, do you know where i can get it cheaper/cheapest? the same with the sub... any good sites?
since JLs warranty is only 2 months if you install it, just get it off ebay or something. you can mess around with almost any amp. i mention JL because they're quality is undeniable. you can get almost any amp you want...just look for something that'll put out 400-600w RMS, at 4,2 or 1 ohm.

best place to get the sub is Cardomain. i got the SVC kappa perfect VQ, $180 (retails $425 / $289)....cosmetic defect, something you'd NEVER see when the subs installed *rippled sticker*

me and ninety-nine SE-L jumped on this deal...its a SICK price, and has a full 3 year warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
are you serious, a rippled sticker???

thanks for the advice, but i have one more question.
the amp i have now, (551s) im going to wire the 2 channels together(not bridged) and then wire the coils in series parallel, and that should give me a 2 ohm load, and each channel is supposed to put 275 per channel at 2 ohms. sound good?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
basshead said:
are you serious, a rippled sticker???

thanks for the advice, but i have one more question.
the amp i have now, (551s) im going to wire the 2 channels together(not bridged) and then wire the coils in series parallel, and that should give me a 2 ohm load, and each channel is supposed to put 275 per channel at 2 ohms. sound good?

im dead serious, it was a sick price
275 each isnt nearly enough for a VQ
MINIMUM 400rms each at any ohm load
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that doesnt make any sense then.... how would i wire the 500/1 to it then? its only 500 watts rms total, which would still be 250 each.(unless im retarded) sorry if i ask alot of questions. can you be descriptive, please? im still trying to wrap my mind around this. im at work and its been a long night.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,293 Posts
basshead said:
the amp i have now, (551s) im going to wire the 2 channels together(not bridged) and then wire the coils in series parallel, and that should give me a 2 ohm load, and each channel is supposed to put 275 per channel at 2 ohms. sound good?
that's the most confusing thing I've ever read

wire the 2 channels together how?
you can't wire 2 coils in series parallel. Series or parallel, not both
if you have a single 2ohm load, then you cannot power this with 2 separate channels. 1 load = 1 channel

is that sub a dual 4ohm? If so then you'll have to wire it in series and bridge the amp to it, this will give you 275rms to the sub, which is the most power you're going to be able to get out of that amp with that sub. Now if you got a single 4ohm version then that's a different story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
well i showed a wiring diagram of how to get a 2 ohm load out of a sub dvc sub to the electrical guys i work with, and they said it was called series-parallel.

*edit* woops, thats a different wiring diagram. haha, sorry, heres the one i am talking about...http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/I...ubwoofers_wiring.html?subs=1&impedance=DVC4x2

the top one i am assuming is what i would use, right? the one below it is what they refered to as series-parallel.

*edit again* haha, as for wiring the channels together, i meant wire each channel, then wire the positives together, and the negatives together, then into the box. im guessing from your reaction, however, that it wont work???
 

·
El Greco
Joined
·
2,296 Posts
basshead said:
that doesnt make any sense then.... how would i wire the 500/1 to it then? its only 500 watts rms total, which would still be 250 each.(unless im retarded) sorry if i ask alot of questions. can you be descriptive, please? im still trying to wrap my mind around this. im at work and its been a long night.
So, are you going w/ 2 of them or 1? Initially, you said 1, which in this case, a 500/1 would be perfect.

basshead said:
well i showed a wiring diagram of how to get a 2 ohm load out of a sub dvc sub to the electrical guys i work with, and they said it was called series-parallel.

*edit* woops, thats a different wiring diagram. haha, sorry, heres the one i am talking about...http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/I...ubwoofers_wiring.html?subs=1&impedance=DVC4x2

the top one i am assuming is what i would use, right? the one below it is what they refered to as series-parallel.

*edit again* haha, as for wiring the channels together, i meant wire each channel, then wire the positives together, and the negatives together, then into the box. im guessing from your reaction, however, that it wont work???

Is the 551s a MONO amp? If so, doing the above (as for wiring the channels together, i meant wire each channel, then wire the positives together, and the negatives together) will not make the slightest difference. The 2 outputs on a mono amp are there for convinience.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top