B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Signals
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yea, I wish I could post nice dyno numbers like some of you guys but I guess we see a lot of that on here, so hopefully this'll be a little different.

I went to Richmond last weekend and was impressed with the fuel economy I got. I'd like to share:

I went from Richmond, VA to Greenville, SC which turned out to be 376 miles, non-stop. When I was outside of Greenville, the fuel light came on at 367 miles. I prolly could have made it to 400 on the tank but I decided just to fill up. When I filled up, it only took 10.9 gallons, that's about 34.5 mpg! BTW, this a spec v.

Factors that contributed to good gas mileage:

Prolly the biggest factor was the driving, I literally gased up in Richmond a mile away from the highway and did not stop until I pulled off to gas up in Greenville. No traffic, no pit stops, etc. I stayed in between 60-80mph the whole trip.

Didn't floor it or redline it, actually didn't go above 3500rpm

Recent K&N air filter

Got the precat recall done, maybe this?

Recently installed Megan Racing, maybe this too?

If I had properly inflatted my tires, had newer oil (or even switched to Mobil 1) and used cruise control, I bet I would have gotten 36mpg or better. I would have met my goal then:

http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62504&perpage=15&highlight=gas mileage&pagenumber=3

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
must have got a good one, most i have gotten was 30mpg but that was only a 240mile trip, around town i only get 20mpg

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hrm.

I've always gotten between 23 - 26 miles a gallon on mostly city driving. Lot's of stop and go traffic. I usually get of 30 on the highway. My gas mileage actually dropped a bit after I dropped in the K&N high flow. Mainly because I was punching it a lot more but even then never got below 23 - 24mpg. That hasn't changed much since I had the recall work done. Does seem to run a little less rich though. Oh yeah. Only 91 octane w/ synthetic (mobil 1) for me.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
most i have gotten driving around town to school and **** is 18.95 mpg.... what am i doing wrong? i put plus (89 oct.) in my car and i always use higer gears than i really need to to save gas... and i dont really have that much of a heavy foot, i mean, i gun it once or twice a day, but i dont drive around taching at 5k rpms, more like 2k....

·
Registered
280 Posts
03blackout said:
most i have gotten driving around town to school and **** is 18.95 mpg.... what am i doing wrong? i put plus (89 oct.) in my car and i always use higer gears than i really need to to save gas... and i dont really have that much of a heavy foot, i mean, i gun it once or twice a day, but i dont drive around taching at 5k rpms, more like 2k....
Are you driving a spec-v? Cuz if you are. 89 oct is mediocre to use. It really should be run on 91 or higher. Now granted being in school always makes money scarce for some reason. Have you checked your tire pressure? 33psi is what it should be at. if all those things are in check then you should be getting much higher gas mileage. Dunno. Maybe it's broken...

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
yes, spec-v it is... only performance mod is intake....

theres about 85 lb of stereo equip in the trunk which should bring my gas mileage down like .2 mpg...

im gonna go check my tire pressure now.
thanks for the tip.

edit: and i got better gas mileage with 87 octane, but the car ran crappy...

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
the most i got was 308 city/highway....and sometimes flooring it

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
You did about as good as possible. I've done better (SE though) but as you said the key is a light touch on the accelerator. I tried on purpose to get the best milage possible and did a max of 70 mph and usually at 65 mph. I did get 37 mpg. I have not been able to do it since. Probably spark plugs need changed (35K miles) :(

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've gone 398 miles on 11.2 gallons in my spec. 35.54 miles to the gallon, not bad if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
rjohn929 said:
I've gone 398 miles on 11.2 gallons in my spec. 35.54 miles to the gallon, not bad if you ask me.
congrats, you officially doubled my gas mileage.

·
Registered
773 Posts
best i got was 250, all street driving... thats pretty lame...
i get bad mileage on the freeway. If you stick around doing 65-70 its not too bad. But i coast at 80 most of the time. Its a struggle for me to go any slower. crazy so cal drivers!

·
Signals
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
something I'd like to add..

damn, someone beat me..

also, I was using 93 from Texaco and I had ~11500 miles on the car.

I don't know what to tell those who aren't getting the best mileage..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts