B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I know I'm opening up a can of worms here but I'm confused on this BB's stand on the term.

I thought the word meant that you were a poser. Like having a big Greddy sticker on a totally stock car. Or trying to make your exhaust look like it has a Greddy exhaust by just welding on a greddy tip...then telling everyone you have a greddy exhaust.

When I thought that putting a SE-R bumper cover on a SE would improve the looks of the car, that was "rice".

Now SpiceZ put a NISMO badge on his car. As far as I know, he has no Nismo parts on his car, yet everyone says that it's a good idea.

Also, a lot of people think Altezza taillights are ugly. When Louis photoshopped it onto the SE-R, it got a lot of complements.

I personally don't think that any of the above mentioned stuff is "rice". It is all ways to customize and personalize your car. I mean, when people do headlight and taillight conversions, it can be looked upon in 2 ways.

1. Why are they trying to be something they are not? (rice) OR
2. Wow, this car is original. The owner really put a lot of effort into their car.

Any other opinions? Just want to see where everyone stands so that nobody gets offended with certain cosmetic mods.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
John,

I see what you're getting at and it makes alot of sense....I kinda gets me also I'm not sure I understand it either so I don't bother too.....

G

·
I think that the term has lost most, if not all of its intended meaning. Originally, I believe the term was used to describe "overdone" cars that were about image more than anything. Then it began to describe cars that had useless mods, and tons of stickers for stuff the car doesn't even have. Then it was used for the cars that had type-r badges and Si-r badges and what not.

Nowdays, it seems like a car with any mods is considered rice. I dunno....the word has lost a lot of its meaning. Personally, I'd like to meet the person that started saying it! hahaha.

·
Registered
268 Posts
this is a tough one....i also wonder why i heard ppl called the Integra "the rice rocket'.....

·
Registered
605 Posts
Rice. It's relative.

I consider any sticker on your car, that you can't backup, as rice. I consider 90% of altezza tails rice. So yes, I think that nismo, greddy, Si, SiR, SE-R, blah blah blah as rice on cars that don't have these components. If I had a greddy exhaust, I wouldn't put greddy sticker on my car though. Same thing when I got the hotshot (didn't plan on it).

As far as bumper conversions, it's a fine line. If you get an SE-R bumper and put it on your SE/GXE/XE, fine. If you put it on your SE/GXE/XE along with SE-R badges, then that's rice. I have seen EXs with Si front lips, and I think it looks good, just as long as they don't put Si stickers on the back.

Originality has been somewhat skewed. I don't take originality as putting a sticker on the back and saying it is original. Rule of thumb: Time + Money = originality. Whether it looks good or not, that's in the eye of the beholder (that's for you Mo!). That's my take originality and rice.

Edit: the biggest rice are the ones that have stickers for the next model and equiptment for the real one. Ex: SE/SE-R stickers with drum brakes and GXE/XE rims; same goes for Si and EX/DX/LX/HX. I HATE THAT!!

[Edited by azninvazion on 05-31-2001 at 05:23 PM]

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yeah, rice has kind of lost its meaning. I guess it's when people try to make cars look fast and they're not. That is different from making a car look nice and sporty. It's putting huge wings on the back that provide no downforce. It's putting stickers on your car for mods you don't have. And it's putting stuff on your car that absolutely everybody else has (i.e the Altezza craze - it's not that Altezzas look bad, it's that EVERYBODY has them, so they're boring, plus they only look good on certain cars).

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Like Azninvazion said, rice is relative... and in the eye of the beholder. I think he explained it REALLY well. What's rice to me, might not be rice to the next person.

I hate altezzas, yet I complimented the chopped SE-R. Why? Cause it looked better than the original b15 butt. Plain and simple. Is it rice? Not to me. But maybe to someone else. But you can bet your *** they'll be REALLY played out and I won't be liking them so much anymore if those crap lights ever came into production.

My favorite form of rice are those hubcaps that look like rims with fake brake discs behind them. That, and misbadging. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
I normally agree that really-chrome-all-ecompassing-hey-look-at-me Altezza lights are gaudy, but...

The *only* reservation I have about the upcoming SE-R's styling now is the rear-end. I think the problem lies with the perception of the tailights. The Altezza-type lights seem to raise the focal point higher.

I have a 91 Sentra SE-R that has had a stock body for the 5 years I've owned it.

I believe rice is when the performance cannot match the performance. Although...

I have seen ricey FAST cars.

Just like fashion and timeless good looks, subtlety and restraint. (I left tthe ride height, spoiler, tint, body, etc. well enough alone, at least) :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
A well-known cereal grass (Oryza sativa) and its seed. This plant is extensively cultivated in warm climates, and the grain forms a large portion of the food of the inhabitants. In America it grows chiefly on low, moist land, which can be overflowed. Ant rice. (Bot.) See under Ant. -- French rice. (Bot.) See Amelcorn. -- Indian rice., a tall reedlike water grass (Zizania aquatica), bearing panicles of a long, slender grain, much used for food by North American Indians. It is common in shallow water in the Northern States. Called also water oat, Canadian wild rice, etc Just Kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Adios Amigos

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Hey, I like my Nismo Sticker :)

I dont know, I saw it, liked it, and bought it, then I fought with the idea of putting it on, and finaly decided to do so.

I kinda feel different about Nismo, I feel its not the same as putting an Eibach sticker when I dont have them or Yokohama, or Place Racing, etc....

I dont know why, and thats just me, but I feel like Nismo just represent Nissan in a sporty way.

In any case, I like the sticker, and I seriously dont care who does or does not like it now.

But I would have appreciated more comments in my Custom cold air intake section, hehe :) I guess I'll get more when I take pics of it!!

Later

Chris

·
Registered
331 Posts
Maybe people are jealous about the $$ it cost u to made it!!!!

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Spicez... Nismo sticker or not, I'm just glad you didn't go with the orange letters on Granite paint. :D Just messing.

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
rice is truly in the eye of the beholder. sometimes people agree, mostly not.

know what i say? a few things...

1. function over form
2. if you like it, who cares.

personally, i'm not into alot of exterior stuff. i'm more go fast first, look good later. that's just me.

i'm a firm believer in K.I.S.S.

(keep it simple, stupid)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Lee said:
rice is truly in the eye of the beholder. sometimes people agree, mostly not.

know what i say? a few things...

1. function over form
2. if you like it, who cares.

personally, i'm not into alot of exterior stuff. i'm more go fast first, look good later. that's just me.

i'm a firm believer in K.I.S.S.

(keep it simple, stupid)
Lee one song comes to mind RICE RICE BABY,,,oh wait sorry thats ICE ICE BABY,,,sorry old age is kicking in....

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Rice originated simply from the idea that Asians ate rice and thus asian cars functioned off of rice (metaphorically of course... all tho, I bet rice would be a cheaper fuel and more plentiful). It was an insult that domestic owners had created to put down their asian imported enemies. The most common imports from asia that tried their hands againts the domestics were civics, preludes, eclipses, and integras. Usually these cars had somesort of upgrades on them... frankly cuz civics couldnt hold up against a horse-drawn buggy without mods... The ones with upgrades then had stickers and sponsorships, banners from their local shops or businesses they worked for. They were dropped for a lower center of gravity, better handling, tires replaced, exhaust changed, etc etc all for a faster kick and stronger ride. The kids with lower grade integras, eclipses, civics, etc noticed the mods, but MAINLY noticed that fast cars had stickers! Then, like a little girl sees her older sister using lipstick they too wanted what the big boys had, and seeing as most of them were poor, they grabbed up all the cool looking stuff that the big boys had. Stickers, decals, emblems, exhaust tips... They wanted to be a force to be reckoned with like the big boys... And for a short while it worked, people noticed the "suped" up civics, and preludes and the nickname rice was then extended over these wannabes.
People started to notice they were hypocrites, fakes, posers, and decided that the term rice was very fitting for such vehicles in that rice must mean fakes and posers (since fakes were more abundant than real rice rockets).
The term kicked into full gear, and now rice is even on fake DOMESTIC vehicles which frankly have nothing to do with rice except that perhaps they dine out once a month at the local Chinese restaurant with non-chinese immigrant staff and chefs........

The future for rice? I suppose that in the future the term rice will extend to ALL vehicles that have any sort of upgrade, real OR fake.

Well that's the history of rice... No homework today kids. But be sure to read chapters 2 and 3 for tomorrows quiz.......

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rice

I have been told that the term rice, refers to Japanese cars. They come from the land where rice is plentiful, and people with american cars make fun of Japanese cars, calling them rice rockets. For what reasons I don't know. I think it might have something to do with all that japanese cars use in their cars, is rice, cus' they are slow, or at least big guys with chevy's think so.
I have never heard of 'rice' being used as a car that looks fast, but is not. I kinda like the name rice-rocket. And at the track rice is written on many people's cars, such as "rice girl," "rice burner," "rice rocket."

·
1998ccs of fury
10 Posts
It all boils down to personal tastes. However, I do think that when your car is all bark and no bite, it really calls into question the point. Some people are making their cars look like they do to give the illusion of speed, others just want to try and be unique. But the ones that I don't like are the ones that think they are being bad *** and rattling my windows at 1am with their 9" tips. Personally, I can't stand the look of altezza tail lights. I think they look hideous. But that is *my* opinion.

What would be the American equivalent of rice? Red meat? Apple pie? "Hey look, there goes a burger-boy!" Rice-rocket to me is any whiny Japanese motorcycle. I am a Ducati person 110%!

As far as my SE-R is concerned, I would rather people don't give me a second glance, just wonder what the hell I did when they are looking at my tail lights get further and further away. ;)

[Edited by sr20deboston on 06-07-2001 at 10:25 AM]

·
Registered
169 Posts
would the fact that there was an autobot in the transformers show named "rice burner" have anything to do with the term? :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts