B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I just blew my 15A again. I'm really ****ing pissed and I don’t even want to take it out of the car right now. I have never even applied full power to it yet. The cone is separating from the center - same thing that happened to my last one. I'm just thoroughly disgusted right now and just need to vent. I'm going to pull it out of the box tomorrow and take a look.....damn....

·
OT Whore
4,411 Posts
omg. did your new one have the aluminum disc on the back of the cone? i feel bad for having ducked off from the 15a cuz of shipping issues and pickedu p the 12a instead... but damn, no matter how many people LOVE it and have had no problems... the few that have are enough for me to be glad i have the 12.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah. I think it is a newer one. I don’t know if it has the aluminum ring you're speaking of, but it does have the glossy finish, which my first one didn’t have. I think I'm just going to see if they’ll swap it for a 12A. I still have to have another box built if I go this route though. Did you go ported or sealed?

God I'm pissed. It worked flawlessly for four weeks and now this ****... god it sounded so good too..I guess the point is moot if it never works. I going to have invested another $25 in shipping. I'm up to $400 in total costs now....

I'll post some pics of the carnage tomorrow

·
OT Whore
4,411 Posts
If you get a chance to pull it out (wow that sounds funny), just have a look at at the backside of the cone and if its all shiny and metal, it has the new aluminum plate that one of the original Ed people (who now works at TC Sounds) designed to make the sub more resistant to destruction. . . if it has the aluminum disc and broke it would be the first one I'd heard of.

I think they would drop you a 12A instead... I dunno. I hate that you're eating up the shipping charges. I wish I could hear one, everyone has either broke theirs and hates it (few) or hasn't broken it yet and love it.

·
Registered
966 Posts
specracer2 said:
what's a 15A?
made by Elemental Designs......the A series subs are the top of the line and the 15A is the biggest, top of the line sub they make.

it goes from K series, to O series, to A series.............and they have all recieved much praise for being outstanding subs

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I couldn’t wait, I had to take a look tonight. Apparently, this is a new one with the metal ring. The cone is still attached to the center, but the cone itself did come apart at the seams. Here are the pics...

Here is part of eD's warranty..

"All Elemental Designs drivers are covered under our 3 year limited warranty. Elemental Designs warrants this product to be free from defects in original materials and workmanship, under intended use, for a period of thirty-six (36) months, from the date of original purchase. Using this woofer for any purpose in any environment it was not designed for voids warranty (ripped spiders, burned voice coils, melted/torn joints, ripped surround, cracked cone, and ripped or cut tinsels are clear signs of this), this includes input of power not recommended for usage. If warranty work is needed, because of sub par construction or materials, during the warranty period, Elemental Designs under it's determination and discretion, replace or repair the defective merchandise at zero charge "

I dont know but that cone sure does look cracked to me. I just wonder if what they are going to say to me...

·
OT Whore
4,411 Posts
I don't think they are turning down warranties on the 15A, esp if you tell them what you are running to it. Another thing, that definately isn't a new one, I'm not sure if I can find a picture of it, but the aluminum disc is the size of the cone.

Explanation:
http://forum.soundillusions.net/showthread.php?t=27778&highlight=aluminum

I can't find the picture and I gotta get to work

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the heads up. A very interesting read. It looks as if I'm not the only one with this problem after reading a few posts over there.

That really looks like a good idea to improve the overall design. I think a layer of aluminum may have saved my sub. I dunno....Now I'm just wondering if I should go with a new 15A or try a 12?? The new 15A looks appealing but I just don’t want to destroy another one. I hate the thought of having to constantly baby the damn thing to keep from blowing it up. What to do...What to do...

On a side note- I was putting the sub back in its box last night when I pulled out the quality control sheet. I noticed that the sheet listed a 12A instead of a 15A. I'm just starting to wonder if the sub was ever really tested or if it was just a simple mistake on their part???

·
OT Whore
4,411 Posts
Thats strange, Ben has said many times that they test the 15A for approx 20 mins time which is why it has been so slow. It is possible that he jotted down the wrong name or threw the wrong form in. I would guess that they fill out as much of the form as possible instead of filling them each out as they test as a time saver... making it possible to test and toss a form in... but making it possible to toss the wrong one in. I'd mention it in the phone call to them.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BodeB15 said:
:( Sorry to see that .
Thanks. It will be a while b4 I can terrorize your neighborhood again. Oh wait, I still have my back up subs... :D

I think I'm just going to fill out the online form and send it back. I'm going to include a copy of the quality sheet with my explanation of what happened. Hopefully, they’ll just send me a new one (with the aluminum sheet) We'll see... I'm going to try and ship it back today.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DevlynSyde said:
Any update on the beast?
OMG...that quote you have in your sig is absolutely hilarious!! I almost fell out of my chair when I first read it in the other post.

Anyway, nothing yet. I mailed it back on Friday. They were supposed to receive it today, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Last time they just sent me a new one without any questions asked. I don’t know if they are going to be so generous this time…we’ll see. You never told me...did you go sealed or ported with your sub? (I really don’t know why I'm asking since it doesn’t really matter anyway)...

·
OT Whore
4,411 Posts
Its going to be ported (Ed's recommended one), I just look at it still... I went through a lay-off crisis at work and am holding off on buying the accessories I need at the moment... stupid 0ga wiring... the RCAs / blocks / etc are going to run me 180ish and until recently I thought I'd be out end of month, thankfully its delayed now + 3 1/2 mth severance if it happens so I'll be ordering once I work out everything I want for sure. Wow... rambled!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry to hear about the work crisis. The install can cost a lot of money. I must have spent more on wires and install then most people spend on their whole stereo system. I think your wise in holding off. Living expenses are sometimes more important than a stereo for your car...i cant believe I just said that ;)

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
damn dude.... i cant beleive your luck... from the pics, i've always thought that sub brand looks cheap and rigged together. i personally could not trust one. im surprised you keep going back to them, but if they replace it free, then i understand why. sorry to hear your luck.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah...I guess I wouldn’t keep going back if they were not going to replace them for free but the sq on that sub is absolutely amazing. If they send me one with an aluminum ring, I think I’ll be set…I hope…

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Damn man, I hope they fix you up well

If you didn't know already, all of the employees are very very active on SIN. You could try PMing them there if you can't contact them elsewhere

http://forum.soundillusions.net/index.php?

btw - kaosmoon on there is Ben, I believe he's the owner of eD and a very cool guy

1 - 20 of 91 Posts