1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
I am a mother****er
675 Posts
your just talking about advancing the timing right. I had mine advanced to 17deg. I noticed no side-effects and the results were good. I noticed better throttle response and I picked up about 3 hp(dyno proven). I recommend doing it. later

------------------
Avalanche 2000 Sentra SE/PP, JWT POP, Advanced Timing @ 17 deg.,205/50ZR16 Bridgestone Potenza RE730s, and coming soon...Stromung midpipe and custom rear section w/Apex i muffler

·
Registered
4 Posts
iv also advanced my timing to 18 degrees and it did make a diff the car feels stronger and it runs better i think it makes even more diff if you have other mods to your car the only downside is you have to use premium gas....

------------------
2kSentra se w/pp heatwave
jwt pop, hs headers, smc ss, tint, custom exhaust, timing 18 degrees, momo combat shift knob

·
Registered
347 Posts
i use premium gassoline that super grade, could i advance my timing? do i need any specail tools?

------------------
Car:
2001 Sentra GXE
Mods:
yea right

Hey look thats me :) boy ant i a cute one?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
What octane gas is suggested when you bump the timming up????

------------------

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung Cat-Back,Place Racing CAI,and Painted Calipers & Rotors
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sentra Styling:
What octane gas is suggested when you bump the timming up????

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe at 18-20 degrees, you're running 92 octane, am I right guys? I think at 15-17 it's 89. I remember reading this somewhere.. :) This is not reliable info. Heh....

------------------
Marvin
-2000 Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 Spd, Avalanche
Current mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake
Future mods:Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, Window Tint
-Previous Owner 1995 Sentra GXE, w/mods, Auto, Maroon

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Ahhh...here's what I found in the SE-R.net site:

Without the JWT ECU: 17 degrees if you want to run 89+ octane fuel and 15 degrees if you want to use standard 87 octane fuel.

I guess at 18 degrees would definitely run 92 to be on the safe side, right? :)

------------------
Marvin
Current mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake

·
I am a mother****er
675 Posts
yeah, thats right OG Mr. Sentra. I had mine at 17deg. and I used both 89 and 92. But I think I read somewhere that when its hot outside then you should only use 92 with the timing advanced. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. And for the question about special tools, you will just need a timing light.later

------------------
Avalanche 2000 Sentra SE/PP, JWT POP, Advanced Timing @ 17 deg.,205/50ZR16 Bridgestone Potenza RE730s, and coming soon...Stromung midpipe and custom rear section w/Apex i muffler

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
So if I bumped it up 15 degrees and stayed with the 87 octane that'll be ok????

And will I still benefeit from it?????

------------------

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung Cat-Back,Place Racing CAI,and Painted Calipers & Rotors
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

·
I am a mother****er
675 Posts
Stylin, the B15 is already set at 15. For a while, mine was at 17 and I used 89 and it was ok. later

------------------
Avalanche 2000 Sentra SE/PP, JWT POP, Advanced Timing @ 17 deg.,205/50ZR16 Bridgestone Potenza RE730s, Stromung midpipe(waiting for bolts and gasket).

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
So it's just a matter of setting it 2 more degree's??????

------------------

MODS:
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

·
I am a mother****er
675 Posts
Stylin, 2 deg. made a difference in mine, but you could advance it 3 maybe even 4 degrees. later

------------------
Avalanche 2000 Sentra SE/PP, JWT POP, Advanced Timing @ 17 deg.,205/50ZR16 Bridgestone Potenza RE730s, Stromung midpipe(waiting for bolts and gasket).

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sentra Styling:
So it's just a matter of setting it 2 more degree's??????

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gene, I advanced my GXE two degrees, and I noticed some power gain. I wish I would have took my old GXE to a dyno to test the mods. I'd try it and see what happens. :)

------------------
Marvin

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Ok so I advance it 2 degrees then I have to go with the higher octane gas for a horse or 2???? I'll probably be spending way too much on gas...

And what about any engine pinging I heard that sometimes you'll get the pinging.....

Also how does the process go do I have to dissconnect anything or do I just throw the timming light on it and trun the cap????

------------------

MODS:
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

·
Registered
778 Posts
Ok so I advance it 2 degrees then I have to go with the higher octane gas for a horse or 2???? I'll probably be spending way too much on gas...

And what about any engine pinging I heard that sometimes you'll get the pinging.....

Also how does the process go do I have to dissconnect anything or do I just throw the timming light on it and trun the cap????

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yea just the usuall timing light and cap turning. i believe to advance is pushing the top of the car towards the intake manifold. i cant reamember, gotta try that vacuum thumb rule thing.

------------------
2000 sentra se
pp, 5spd

·
I am a mother****er
675 Posts
the exact procedure is on se-r.net(I don't know where exactly, just use the site index). Don't forget you have to disconnect the TPS and also rev over 3k three times to set the timing. later

------------------

1 - 16 of 16 Posts