B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I'm kind of stuch here. My friend has an 04 Spec, he doesn't know much about cars so he asked my to help out. He said he had to find the IAT(Intake Air Temperature) Sensor, because he purchased this resistor that tricks you computer to think it's 32 Degrees outside even on a warm day. I'm sort of sceptical of the thing but he said he just wants to try it out. Well, my dilema is that I don't know where the F*** :eek: that sensor is. The instructions say it's between the MAF housing and the Throttle body, the problem is there is no sensor between the two. I figured the sensor is probably part of the MAF or Throttle body. Someone please help me out, and if you can send pics.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Its on the small pipe that attaches to the filter box and goes up to the headlight. So at least on my SE it is before the maf not after.

·
King of OT
5,210 Posts
Haha what he bought was ebay junk. Yes you were right for being skeptical. It's a piece of crap.

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
Huligan1475 said:
Alright I'm kind of stuch here. My friend has an 04 Spec, he doesn't know much about cars so he asked my to help out. He said he had to find the IAT(Intake Air Temperature) Sensor, because he purchased this resistor that tricks you computer to think it's 32 Degrees outside even on a warm day. I'm sort of sceptical of the thing but he said he just wants to try it out. Well, my dilema is that I don't know where the F*** :eek: that sensor is. The instructions say it's between the MAF housing and the Throttle body, the problem is there is no sensor between the two. I figured the sensor is probably part of the MAF or Throttle body. Someone please help me out, and if you can send pics.
Does your friend understand the concept of cooler air being denser?

If he does, then he should think a little bit..........say the temp is 90* out. He throws on that "resistor chip" that "fools" the ecu into thinking it's 32* cooler out...or 58*. So, if the ECU actually is fooled (it isn't) ................what do you think it will do?

It dumps more fuel into the engine. But keep in mind, it's STILL 90* OUT! So what have you just done? Made your car run rich and bog, LOSE POWER!

You need to tell your buddy that horsepower isn't cheap, and stupid little gimmicks like that are for suckers!

·
Boost Addict
3,414 Posts
silversurfer said:
The IAT sensor is built into the MAF.
on 02-03 it is. for 04 according to the fsm its not there but without pulling the element out I can't be sure. the iat may use the "can" system to communicate so it may not be listed on the ecm diagram like on previous years.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awsome guys thanks for the quick resposes, but my friend is still adiment about putting that damn resistor on. He says he doesn't care, if he loses HP or gets low gas mileage, he just wants to try it out, just for the hell of trying it out. He's stupid I've told him over and over but he would still like to know which wires they are so he can try it out. He's one of those people that have to see it to believe it. So go figure.

·
Southern Shift Racing
2,511 Posts
Huligan1475 said:
Awsome guys thanks for the quick resposes, but my friend is still adiment about putting that damn resistor on. He says he doesn't care, if he loses HP or gets low gas mileage, he just wants to try it out, just for the hell of trying it out. He's stupid I've told him over and over but he would still like to know which wires they are so he can try it out. He's one of those people that have to see it to believe it. So go figure.
Smack your friend upside his head and tell him not to be stupid. He's just going to fcuk something up, blow a MAF/IAT and cost you money and time. And MAF's/IATs ECUs aren't cheap. If he wants more power tell him to do it the RIGHT WAY! :rolleyes:

·
Southern Shift Racing
2,511 Posts
cortrim1 said:
on 02-03 it is. for 04 according to the fsm its not there but without pulling the element out I can't be sure. the iat may use the "can" system to communicate so it may not be listed on the ecm diagram like on previous years.
True, I forgot about that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I smacked him up side the head he said he's still going to try and do it but he also asks for suggestions on how to get HP at a cheap price

·
Southern Shift Racing
2,511 Posts
Huligan1475 said:
Well, I smacked him up side the head he said he's still going to try and do it but he also asks for suggestions on how to get HP at a cheap price
Your friend is obviously a moron. Trust me, myself, Cortrim1 and Chimmike know more about these cars then you could imagine...SO TAKE OUR ADVICE AND DON'T FCUK WITH THE IAT!

If he wants cheap power:

CAI = anywhere from 100-250
Header = 150-500
Exhaust = 300-600

Power doesn't come cheap per say. If you're friend is SO money conscious then tell him not to do something that could cost him a lot more money in the long run. ;)

·
Boost Addict
3,414 Posts
I just looked at the maf diagram for 04 spec and the iat is part of the maf sensor just like 02-03. the odd thing is its not listed on the ecm diagram so it must be using the "can" system to communicate with the ecm. On a side note messing with your maf sensor is a bad idea since they cost over $500.

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
chimmike said:
You need to tell your buddy that horsepower isn't cheap, and stupid little gimmicks like that are for suckers!
I'll say it again:

HORSEPOWER IS NOT CHEAP! A good rule of thumb is it's around $75-100 PER HORSEPOWER to the wheels!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts