B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Thanks for taking the time to read this post. I'm need of some information. My Honda Prelude was stolen a month ago. I traded in my old 88 200SX for it. I miss that car. The car was a month old and it has not been recover. Now, I need a new vehicle. I've always like the Sentra but, I've always dream of having a Prelude. Well, I really don't want another Prelude again. Because is a Honda. You guys know what I mean. I'm interested in a SE with the Performnce Package 5 speed. I know the SE-R and V Spes are coming out in the fall but, I need a car ASAP.

Anyway, here are my questions.

1. How comfortable is this car? I'm a big guy. 6'2" 240Lbs.
Any big guys out there that can provide some input.

2. Performance. How fast is the car. 0-60MPH times and 1/4 mile times. How does it stack up against other imports. Example SI's , Integras, Preludes you know those sort of cars.

3. Build quality and reliability. How good are they?

4. Dealer service. Are they good and efficient? Do they give you the run arounds when you have a problem?

5. Mods?? What mods are available for this car?

6. Is this car fun to drive?

7. Price. How much are my looking to spend on a fully loaded SE w/PP? I'll be looking to finance for 48 months or less.

That's about it. Again thanks for taking the time to read this post. Thank you and take care.

Carlos G.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
You'll get lots of honest answers here. You really need to sit in one and drive it. It's the only way. You should be able to get for invoice. See Edmunds.com. The build quality of the major stuff- under the hood and the drive train is rock solid. Some of the interior/cosmetic/paint is apparently not as good. I personally have had no trouble here. Dealers? There are good and bad. Mine-York Nissan in York, Pa. is very good. This is the last year for the SR20DE engine-it totally kicks ***. It has been modded for like 800 HP-rock solid. This is why I bought the car. I have auto-so naturally it's not as fun to drive as 5sp. Let's face it 145 HP is not going to blow everyone away, especially with that displacement. But it is fun to drive. At 5k rpm it sounds/feels grrreat!! And in stock condition there are no Joe sixpacks in SUV's or Pickups that can show you up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
why is this year the last year? So there will be no more SE? only XE GXE and SE-R(v) ?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Any big guys out there that can provide some input.

I'm 5'6" 120 on a good day. Can't answer that one. But my friend has driven it and he is 6'2" 200, he says it wasn't as bad as he thought. Get a test drive; that'll tell ya.

2. Performance. How fast is the car. 0-60MPH times and 1/4 mile times. How does it stack up against other imports. Example SI's , Integras, Preludes you know those sort of cars.

I don't know times, but I have beaten one Si, all non-gsr tegs, and I haven't been crazy enough to run a prelude. I was beaten by my friend's Si though, he is on the bottle, but it was off. He has other stuff done, so that's why I lost.

I had a 92 XE, it's still going. My sister is driving it. The SR20 is a proven reliable engine (the B16 of nissan).

4. Dealer service. Are they good and efficient? Do they give you the run arounds when you have a problem?

I have always had good and bad experiences with the dealer. I find that big companies are better for service than independant dealerships.

5. Mods?? What mods are available for this car?

There is a section on the homepage. But for starters: CAI, Cat-back, headers (in progress), underdrive pullies, Eibach springs and some more stuff, but I got the importants. There aren't that many parts for the B15 as yet, but it's alright B/C when the SE-R comes out, there are going to be buttloads of exterior/suspension mods (same platform/body), and most engine mods can be modified from previous SE-Rs (same engine).

Oh yea! Silky smooth, and the Performance Package is SO worth it!

7. Price. How much are my looking to spend on a fully loaded SE w/PP? I'll be looking to finance for 48 months or less.

I got my first one (long story) for 14,700; the second for 15,200 because there was no rebate at the time. Check out http://www.edmunds.com
I think they have a new financing promotion for the sentras. 12-60 month plans (I think). I know that the 12 month plan is 3.9% financing. Not too sure what the others are.

-On a side note, I have gotten a lot of compliments on the car. Most don't expect it to drive as well as it does. A lot of people call it the Mini-Maxima; I'm not complaining!
-It's true, this is the last year for the SR20. To be taken over by the QR25. We aren't sure what nissan is going to do about the models. I think they are going to do xe, gxe, se-r, se-r specv. All of us are thinking that the SE-R is going to be an SE with a different engine.

[Edited by azninvazion on 05-22-2001 at 11:49 PM]

·
Registered
816 Posts
The SE is good but I'd personally wait for the SE-R. If you're used to a Prelude, then the SE is going to be too slow for you. Also, the Sentra is not as solid as the Lude but then again, it's about $8k less than the Prelude.

There are not many mods for the car right now but in stock form, it's not too shabby. I think it will handle on par with the Prelude if you get the SE with Performance Package.

Now, for the comfort issue, I'm 5'11" and 185lbs. The car is not very comfortable. There is definitely enough room up front but the seats leave a LOT to be desired. There is absolutely NO lumbar support and thigh support. You easily get fatigued on long drives.

In terms of 1/4 mile times, expect about mid to high 15's for a Sentra SE. With the bolt-ons I/H/E, you will hit low to mid 15's. The real advantage of having the SR20DE is forced induction. You can run a lot of boost in stock form.

Build quality and stuff are all good. Dealer service will really depend on where you go. Like all dealerships, some are good, some aren't.

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Jersey Sentra
243 Posts

I'm 6' 210 and I find it plenty comfy. Love the nice seats on the SE with PP!

Can't answer that one.

I had an 87 Sentra E, 89 Sentra E, and an 89 Maxima. I think Nissans are really well built. I find the only ting on the Sentra that bugs me is the plastic in the cockpit is a bit on the cheap side - not in look and fit and finish - but that it does sometimes show scuffs easily. Then again I have the SE - PP with the darker gray plastic.

Depends on the dealer - all the Nissan dealers I have dealt with in NJ are good. Freehold Nissan, Windsor Nissan, and Haldeman all stack up well. Check with the local BBB to see if there are any major complaints about your local dealer.

Heck, yes! For a nice small compact it's got a lot of energy, the interior is nice and well desogned ergonomically. I do 45 minutes to an hour in it each way to work and I have yet to get tired or have my back hurt int he seat. I did 4 hours home in it this winter in the snow and it handled pretty good.

I'm at 5 years/60 months and gotmy payments down to $185/mo. I put $10K down. Don't let them sell for anything above invoice. Play the game with them and they will make the deal. Get the extended warranty (that price above includes it).

--*Rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
just a little help

dude, im 6'1 170 but i fit fine in my B14 but i fit fine into my friends B15, its more comfy than a civic but it isnt a Lexus so dont expect it to be, its probably more comfy than your previous car.

Performance-its right up there with the Si's and the integs

build-its japanese nuff said

dealer-depends on yur area, sum people have good dealers sum have bad dealers same with every car company.

price-you should get one for much less than the prelude and an SE should be able to keep up with most preludes (not sure about this help guys)

·
Registered
347 Posts
1. My stepfather fit in it "OK" he is 6"2 200+? I dont think he would buy a compact car.
2. 0-60MPH dont know but I race alot i guess it depends on the weight in the car.
3. I hear the paint job sucks. I havnt had a major problem with min in 6 months
4. Dealer service 199% Totally satified, I got mine in shrevport,La I have been to the dealer twice, The tightened my steering and check on my muffler. Great Service department on that place.
5. Mods are like water in a desert! Serous!
6. Hell ya.
7. ? I got a gxe 2001 I pay 240 month

1 - 8 of 8 Posts