B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing on the web when when I found this cool...Buick! It's called an Opel. Buick imported them about 30 years ago and put their badge on them. This is modified, but looks REALLY good. They are as big as an RX-7 and have some parts made out of fiberglass. My goal is to get one, make it look like this one, and drop in a Sr20DET! Even better, it's rear wheel drive! What a combo that would be. Light weight with high horsepower. Fortunately for me, they are hard to come by. I have my 2K Sentra, a 1970 Skylark, and a 1969 Skylark. Both Buicks are not running and one is being restored. Yet, I want ANOTHER car!! I am a very sick person. Their rareness will force me to wait before I get one. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Oh well. In the meantime I get to have fun learning/researching them.

http://www.opelgtsource.com/catalog/shop.cgi?cart_id=8041535.24159&page=tuning/rs02a.htm

[Edited by AZ_2K_SE on 05-09-2001 at 02:54 AM]

·
Registered
19 Posts
That car is pretty sweet lookin

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Yea, I rember it..

In fact one of my friends owned one and I rode in it many times. It was a good solid car. You'll have to enlighten me on the values of rear wheel drive. I owned a '69 Camaro 4 sp with Holly Carb-225 HP. But it didn't handle, understeered, didn't go in the snow, fishtailed, lost HP at differential, I could go on. For me rear wheel drive s-u-c-k-s. I've driven hundreds of thousand miles in 'em.

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
Re: Yea, I rember it..

adc100 said:
In fact one of my friends owned one and I rode in it many times. It was a good solid car. You'll have to enlighten me on the values of rear wheel drive. I owned a '69 Camaro 4 sp with Holly Carb-225 HP. But it didn't handle, understeered, didn't go in the snow, fishtailed, lost HP at differential, I could go on. For me rear wheel drive s-u-c-k-s. I've driven hundreds of thousand miles in 'em.
me too. my buddy had a mustard yellow one with black rims and a mgb gt straight 6 in it. pretty darn quick.

i agree about rwd, but the fun factor for me was oh so high!

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
There's a guy that lives in Newport Rhode Island that owns one of those and he brings it to al the local classic car shows in the area,,,They are deffinetly a sweet looking car,,,,and if you are thinking of getting one good luck cause from I heard from him the parts and what not are extremely hard to find.....

·
Registered
605 Posts
so that car is a buick? and it will fit a det? am I the only one having difficulty understanding this concept?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Wow, that's the first time I've heard anyone say that RWD is BAD for performance. Maybe someone else can add some nore info here about the benfits of it, but from what I understand they are:

1. No torque steer (Big problem on high power FWD cars)

2. Easier drag racing launch that FWD, due to weight transferring to the rear during hard acceleration

3. Much less understeer than a FWD car usually, unless the car is poorly balanced for handling (That probably describes that Camaro you were talking about, '60's muscle cars usually don't handle very well)

4. RWD usually means better handling, but certainly not always. The Integra Type R probably outhandles a good portion of RWD cars. The reason that it usually is better is a more balanced car, with more weight in the rear than a front-loader (They're called that for a reason.)

There are other performance reasons why it is better, but I can't remember them right now. Feel free to add anything I forgot :)

You are right about driving one in the snow, FWD has a big advantage there. And RWD cars tend to lose a bit more HP than FWD through the drivetrain, but really not that much.

Anyway, that Buick certainly is a looker. Reminds me of a Mako Shark Corvette.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Wow, people really don't like rear wheel drive cars. Of course the only good rear wheel drive cars are BMW's. I only say that because of their 50/50 weight ratio. It's perfect, mainly because these cars are built for performance and other things as well. Of course I am sure there are other foriegn cars with a 50\50 ratio, like porsche and others I can't think of. Of course Porsche is going awd, aren't they? Anyway, I have my issues with domestic rwd cars like the vette, camaro and firebird(is that the right name, pontiac right?). I know the newer ones handle decently, however, they don't last. Same goes for the Mustang. All these cars are crap. Like a rock, yup. Those ads hit it right on the nail. Anyway, sorry to get off topic. I just dislike doemstic cars after seeing my mom's 97 Malibu (this is not the car we knew america could build) fall apart and then seeing my brother's grand prix do the same. This is why I ask people why they even bother getting and defending domestic vehicles.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Not all domestics are unreliable. Most people think that imports are far above and beyond the quality of domestics because in the '80s, domestic quality trailed import quality considerably. Today the gap has been closed, although imports still have the quality and reliability edge. It sucks that you had bad experiences with you mom's and brother's cars, but most domestics have a much better reliability record than those two specific examples.

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whew. I didn't mean to start a RWD debate, but I'll clarify a few things. It APPEARS our favorite 2.0 liter engine will fit. I say this because on the same site is a picture of a Opel 2.0 liter turbo under the hood and it appears to have very similar dimensions.
As for RWD, it is better than front wheel drive for pure acceleration. As for handling I will modify the Opel to handle. There are aftermarket setups that will improve handling a bunch. I have located a couple of sites that have almost all the Opel parts I would need. Most are reasonably cheap, some aren't. Another reason the cars with RWD usually don't handle is because they are using the old, outdated suspension designs of the last 20-30+ years. I'm also trying to avoid any reliability problems by using the SR20DET.
It isn't REALLY a Buick, they just imported them from Europe where small displacement motors are the norm. Since they were the ones doing it, they put the Buick badge on it.
I think these cars look awsome when modded out. They are FUGLY bone stock. It's going to be a challenge to find one worth buying, but that's part of the fun. The thrill of the hunt. Besides, I'm single again and I need something else to do when I have spare time.
I hope this answers a few questions. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this car looks sweeeeet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts