B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I popped the oil pan, and shoved them in there, but my car was making wierd noises. So I decided to take my valve cover off and drive around like that for a while to get some of the bad oil out. Now my car will not run! What should I do!?

I'm just kidding, I might actually be posting something like that if it wasn't for the fact that I had David, Sarah, and Ray to help me install them!

I purchased a set of brand new JWT S3R cams from Sonnypippo and two days later David and Sarah invited me to their house for a cam install party. It wasn't really a party, but Ian from SR20 forum had a '91 in take cam to install, so that made it a party for me! :D

The install went well. David and Ray tag teamed my car and did most of the work, wich was cool because I was scared. I still learned a lot just by mostly watching.

I have had the cams in for about a week now, and they are nice! The idle jumps around and I can tell I have lost some low end power (Both of which are expected), but the top end is where the cams show their stuff. Currently my timing is at about 15*, I tryed to advance it back but the car won't go into timing mode. David assured me that the ECU just needs to adjust the idle for the new cams. After that is done I should be back on track.

The only negitaive side to having the cams is that my car now drinks gas! It's not bad though, I know you have to pay to play!

I'd like to thank David and Sarah for inviting to their house to install the cams, and thanks again to David, Sarah, and Ray for their help! Now for the pictures:

S3R

Stock Cams

Timing Chain tried down

S3R Intake cam In

Both S3R's in

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
cburwell said:
I popped the oil pan, and shoved them in there, but my car was making wierd noises. So I decided to take my valve cover off and drive around like that for a while to get some of the bad oil out. Now my car will not run! What should I do!?

Man I almost lost my lunch!!! lmfao!

Congrats on the new purchase!

Looks good David, Sarah, Ray, and cburwell!!lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes Zip ties is the norm for that. Things that are noteable though
are that the Roller Rocker Motor has *NO* oil tubes like earlier
SR20's. The rockers have holes in them to lubricate the rockers.

Other then that pretty much the same as every other CAM job
I've done. Which is probably in the 20's or 30's now. I've even
done a VVL cam swap.

So all the joking Sarah and I were doing with Chris and Ian about
not knowing what we were doing was for fun.

Yeah like David Said you missed the Bungee thats just as
important as the zip ties.

·
Poopra King
7,072 Posts
What, no pictures of everone working on the car?

When I read the title, I was like noooooooo! Didn't anyone learn from my mistakes????....lol! Funny!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Were all the clearances between the cam and lifters fine? No adjustments, or lifter swapping needed? Did you do the springs as well?

Can't wait to get mine. Enjoy the top end power.....

·
Registered
122 Posts
ya know i thought that engine looked a little funny. Its an SE huh. Yup theres the distributor cap...

·
122 Hours Of Fear
13,552 Posts
Looks nice Trav ! , I mean...:D J/K
So does the motor shake , rattle & roll ? When I saw a set of S4's ( I know these are S3's :D ) in the motor of a 200 sx SE-R......they shook that motor as if it were a built V8 in there . :D Obviously there has to be noticable vibrations , maybe at idle ?

·
Registered
941 Posts
QR cams are cake. Jonwepa, you close to Phoenix?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts