B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At around 45k I changed my plugs over to iridiums bc I was spraying. Due to financial problems I had to sell my n2o kit. Yesterday I decided to go back to the OEM plugs, I am now at 80k. I go to pull one of my plugs and the socket isnt grabbing anything. I grab a little flashlight and inspect the plug and see that liquid gasket **** all over the plug, over the bolt on the plug where the socket should have caught. Since I would never do anything like that to my car it must have been one of a few shops I have taken my car to over the years...the car has mostly been to Nissan for tranny flushes, etc. Some retard tech must have stripped the plug threads.
I am so ****ing pissed right now I dont even want to think about this anymore...I mean there really isnt anything I can do...I cant go back to Nissan and expect this ******* to throw up his hands and admit to it. :mad: :( :mad:

·
Registered
399 Posts
there's a somewhat easy way to fix it. get a heli-coil kit, drill the hole, tap the hole, and insert heli-coil. Use a big shop-vac while you drill and tap to keep as much metal as possible out of the cylinder. Afterwards you can get a tube and rig it up to the shop vac and suck out the rest of the crap. I had this happen to a Honda once.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
mrjiggy said:
there's a somewhat easy way to fix it. get a heli-coil kit, drill the hole, tap the hole, and insert heli-coil. Use a big shop-vac while you drill and tap to keep as much metal as possible out of the cylinder. Afterwards you can get a tube and rig it up to the shop vac and suck out the rest of the crap. I had this happen to a Honda once.
I would remove the head. You are taking a real chance that small pieces don't get down in the ring area where you won't get it=scored cylinder. Also doing a first rate job will be difficult. I've put in helicoils already but not in this area.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
jmac2043 said:
At around 45k I changed my plugs over to iridiums bc I was spraying. Due to financial problems I had to sell my n2o kit. Yesterday I decided to go back to the OEM plugs, I am now at 80k. I go to pull one of my plugs and the socket isnt grabbing anything. I grab a little flashlight and inspect the plug and see that liquid gasket **** all over the plug, over the bolt on the plug where the socket should have caught. Since I would never do anything like that to my car it must have been one of a few shops I have taken my car to over the years...the car has mostly been to Nissan for tranny flushes, etc. Some retard tech must have stripped the plug threads.
I am so ****ing pissed right now I dont even want to think about this anymore...I mean there really isnt anything I can do...I cant go back to Nissan and expect this ******* to throw up his hands and admit to it. :mad: :( :mad:
So you can't get your socket around the plug? Why doing you take an old spark plug socket, heat up the liquid gasket (That should make it gummy at the least) and push the socket onto the plug. Then you should be able to back the plug out and see if someone did indeed strip the threads.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am too worried that if i do get the plug the threads will be too ****ed up to get another plug...then I would have to remove the head and heli-coil it...the thing is that it would be such a ***** of a job....the only way i would consider re-tapping it is if I removed the head...I would be way to scared of getting the little pieces into the cylinder...i just dont have the patience nor expertise to wrip apart my engine. The plug thats stuck in there is an iridium, thank god. So I should be able to get away with another 60k miles, hopefully. after the 60k though I am screwed...I better start warming up to the idea of spending $500 to have that plug ripped out and heli-coiled...I am just so upset that someone really screwed me.

·
Registered
897 Posts
report it to nissan corporate ;)
shiz... I just went to the dealership about a week ago for an oil change and I paid $24 bucks coming out with 5 qts of cheap oil in my car instead of 4 quarts of good quality oil where I could have bought at autozone with a filter for less than $11... my oil is burning bad now because of that crap and the oil became completly black within 5 days...Yesterday I changed my oil again with mobil synthetic and another nissan filter (did this myself) and the oil is still burning but is reducing little by little... I think ima make a complaint to nissan corporate...

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Since it happend so long ago, and the car was at several other shops he doesn't really have a case with Nissan, nor any of the other shops he took his car to.

Not to be a dik, but this is yet another reason to do all the work you can on your car yourself. If you are not confident doing it yourself I am sure there are local people who would be willing to help you out.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cburwell said:
Since it happend so long ago, and the car was at several other shops he doesn't really have a case with Nissan, nor any of the other shops he took his car to.

Not to be a dik, but this is yet another reason to do all the work you can on your car yourself. If you are not confident doing it yourself I am sure there are local people who would be willing to help you out.

dude, the only time I ever took my car in was for the tranny fluid...I dont have one of those flushing machines so I cant do it myself...trust me, I try to do every bit of work myself...I think that is why I am so pissed off. I mean this just reinforces my negative view towards dishonest mechanics.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Now might be a good time have the head reworked. Or just go to the scrap yard pick one up, have it cleaned and spec'd (do it yourself) new gaskets and an afternoon or two, should be great!

Sorry to hear about your problems though, it sucks when something like that happens.

·
Southern Shift Racing
2,511 Posts
truraza said:
Now might be a good time have the head reworked. Or just go to the scrap yard pick one up, have it cleaned and spec'd (do it yourself) new gaskets and an afternoon or two, should be great!

Sorry to hear about your problems though, it sucks when something like that happens.
I think this would be the best route for you to go.

Leave the plugs in there for now. Go buy a used head. Get it cleaned up and refinished. Buy some new gaskets and BAM! Problem solved. :D Installing a head isn't too hard. Should take no more than a day to do. This way you'll be sure of doing it right without having to go through the trouble of helicoiling the old head.

Heck, and you could probably do this for a couple hundred bucks. A used head should be no more than 150-200 bucks. Then having it cleaned and refinished...maybe 75-100 bucks. Gaskets, fluids and such...50 bucks. One afternoon spent learning a lot about your engine...priceless. :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry about the problems bro, I would definately take it up to the dealership or wherever you think this happened and complain. What's the worst they can do, turn you down? Then you start making a big scene in front of other customers and maybe they will help you out because they wouldn't want to look like they are screwing a customer over...lol. Oh, I'm putting the N2O kit on next week so I'll e-mail you and tell you how it went...thanks again for that bro. Best of luck with the head.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts