B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it just took me a LONG time to remove my balance shafts... i'd say around 6 hours, working alone, including 3 trips to sears... the hardest part was, of course, removing that invisible bolt, and the 2nd hardest part, which i didnt expect, was actually getting the balance shafts out of the block after all the bolts were removed...

so here's a bit of advice... if you've never done this before, plan out a whole day to do them... im not saying it will take as long as it took me, but just be on the safe side...

feel free to post up any questions...

im going for a drive (havent driven it yet)

later,
ryan

·
NISMOnkey
1,015 Posts
Enjoy the ride!!!

PS - Shouldn't cams be on your future installs list?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tbuh said:
Enjoy the ride!!!

PS - Shouldn't cams be on your future installs list?
i dont know... you tell me... are they worth it? im running out of things to buy ;)

but right now, textbooks for my first year at college are on my future install list.... and the cam install kinda freaks me out...

but i have something up my sleeve in terms of internals... i just need someone to start selling those jwt/crower rods/pistons and ill do everything at once...

but in all honestly, next on the list is probably going to be brakes, then internals (including port/polish/extrude honing of various parts), then jwt clutch and flywheel.... then the fun starts after that.. pti eventually...

·
NISMOnkey
1,015 Posts
I think you should really be getting the cams before you start your internals...

Definitely get the brakes in there, though... I've just upgraded to Hawk HPSs (unfortunately, I never really bedded them), but when the time is right, I'm doing rotors, pads, ss lines, and motul.

How was the drive w/o the bs?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I'm going to do it next year or when my warranty is up. Now did you just follow the JWT instructions or you went to another write up? And also what tools are needed besides the etorx (which one again?) ?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
civiceater said:
I'm going to do it next year or when my warranty is up. Now did you just follow the JWT instructions or you went to another write up? And also what tools are needed besides the etorx (which one again?) ?
most important tools (besides basic sockets, wrenches, etc) are a 10mm offset wrench, an e14 torx socket, and a torque wrench... i pretty much used the jwt instructions, and used someones writeup on thevboard, cant remember who's (horrible short term memory)

anyway, just make sure to give yourself enough time...

and tbuh, the vibrations are... uh... interesting from about 3200 to 4000... the entire car feels like its going to vibrate apart....

are the balance shafts one of those mods that the ecu needs to learn or no? just wondering, even though i can feel a difference already...

and im looking to buy a spare motor, so i can get the head all built nice and pretty (cams, extrude honing, and valvetrain) and then ship the block over to those nice guys over at aebs to have it sleeved and (if possible) rods and pistons installed and the whole thing honed nicely... then i'll be ready for some serious ****...

·
Poopra King
7,072 Posts
I just took dekab's BS's out last night. It took me about 2 hours and 15 minutes.

·
i dont wanna copy shannon
3,180 Posts
as for a motor u should find one pretty cheap. My boy works at an paint shop, boss just got a 2003 spec-v for $8000 with under 15000 miles but a BLOWN motor... just got a quote, $850 for a qr25 with 3000 miles on it. CHEAP ENUFF?

·
I drive an auto...
1,569 Posts
wow
$850 is pretty cheap!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bradentonSER said:
I see you got a intake spacer . is the a tb block or something like it ??
got pics ??
http://www.hondata.com/heatshield.html

it goes between the intake manifold and the motor, supposedly reducing intake mani temperature... for $60, i guess its worthwhile, but install is a bit of a ***** if you dont know what youre doing...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
03blackout said:
it just took me a LONG time to remove my balance shafts... i'd say around 6 hours, working alone, including 3 trips to sears... the hardest part was, of course, removing that invisible bolt, and the 2nd hardest part, which i didnt expect, was actually getting the balance shafts out of the block after all the bolts were removed...

so here's a bit of advice... if you've never done this before, plan out a whole day to do them... im not saying it will take as long as it took me, but just be on the safe side...

feel free to post up any questions...

im going for a drive (havent driven it yet)

later,
ryan
i don't feel so bad now mine to 6-7 hours. 4+ hours of trying to get that damn assembly out of the oil pan.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
O.G. STi driver
306 Posts
How was the drive? How much of a difference did you notice?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
shift_specV said:
How was the drive? How much of a difference did you notice?
i have a very inaccurate butt dyno... but i did feel it pull a little harder, which is saying a lot, considering i usually cant feel any small gains in power from bolt-ons and stuff...

so i guess for under $100, its a pretty worthwhile mod...

·
NISMOnkey
1,015 Posts
The first time I hit 3000 RPM after I removed the BS, I was kinda scared. Like the motor mounts, give it some time and it will settle down and you'll also become a bit more adjusted to it. Trust me, you want to get the cams soon, the high-end bump you'll get is amazing... There just isn't enough bandwidth for all the power!

That's where the internals come into play. =)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts