B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made this post over at www.thevboard.com and I figured I would post it here for some additional opinions and intelligence being shed on my particular problem because I don't know what the hell actually happened to my car. I have a 2003 Nissan SE-R Spec V.

Well just about an hour ago I was on my way home on the freeway doing about 60 and I was approaching the off ramp. I slow down to about 40 and begin to pull off of the highway and onto the off ramp and all of a sudden "BAMMMMMMM!" I feel my front passenger side tire slam into a pothole and I think "MOTHER F***ER THERE GOES MY TIRE". I hear some rubbing which I think is from the flat tire against the ground but I pull over and come to find out that my tire is fine. A little chopped up from the pothole, a nice little knick on the rim and thats it or so I thought. It seems that my entire front passenger side tire and axel shifted back, causing the tire to rub against the body. So I throw on the donut and drive the sucker home. My alignment is all outta whack and I don't know WTF is ACTUALLY wrong with my car. If I had a digi cam I would post some pics but I don't... so I just have to describe it. The tire was rubbing against the body of my car near the front passenger door and the clearance from the tire to the front bumper was massive, about 4 inches maybe more. What is your guys opinions on what the hell happened here. Do I just need this thing realigned? It my axel bent? Were my struts or suspension knocked outta place? I am not a mechanic and I really don't know to much when it comes to suspension so some advice and opinions would be great. Thanks alot guys :)

Original Post: http://forums.thevboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=40361

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Yea-you have a major major problem=$$$$$. Get pictures of the pothole. Contact the state.
You may not be able to collect from the state. Check with your agent. It might get in the "Act of God" catagory-in which case your insurance won't go up. Document when and to whom you talked to with the state. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input, im taking it over to my mechanic right now to find out what is wrong with the thing and how much it'll cost me. I am going to get the work done at the dealership seeming how i pay an extra 50 bucks a month for an extended warranty and any work I need done to my car that is performed at the dealership I get at half price :) so hopefully this job is no more than 1000 bucks... cuz that means I would have to pay 500 and thats all I can afford at the moment. I hate potholes :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
hey 03yellowvee sorry to hear about your car, samething happened to me a while back not as bad though. One thing you should think about doing is fileing(sp) a police report with the local cops ,gives you some validity, official paper work just looks so much better . like they said above take some pictures. some good news is you can get rembersed for the damge. some times the state/town who owns the road will contract out to a company to take care of the road, that company is ultiamitly responsable for the condition of the road. so if the road was infact in bad condition then its the companys fault that your car is busted....which mean they might have to pay for your repair work. just some info that might be of some help. Good luck

nexus

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot for the information guys. I hope I can get at least SOME reimbursment for this tragic incident :(

Another thing to add is the fact that there were no street lights on the offramp of the highway, thus reducing vision or road hazards that I may have been able to avoid if proper lighting had been adequately provided :)

OH I got some pics for you guys to see....

·
Registered
294 Posts
i hate potholes.... wait?? don't we have people that have jobs specifically for filling/fixing potholes... YES WE DO!

p.s - that musta been a huge pothole to do that cuz i hit one 2 weeks after i got my car and i popped a brand new tire.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I hate to be a jackass...OK, actually I don't...but if the hole was so big, why did you drive into it?

Also, don't drive on that Conti. It's shot.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
mrknowitall said:
I hate to be a jackass...OK, actually I don't...but if the hole was so big, why did you drive into it?

Also, don't drive on that Conti. It's shot.
Did you read the WHOLE thread? Specially the part about no street lights? :rolleyes:

-ed for spelling

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
mrknowitall there were no street lights on the off ramp and there was a car next to me forcing me to hug the gutter going 45mph as soon as I hit I was like "OH F***" and pull over as soon as I got off the offramp and into a safe parking lot to throw the donut on. I am bringing the car to my mechanic to be fixed tomorrow he wasn't able to take it in today seeming how serious the damage sounds to him so tomorrow night I will post and let you guys know wtf happened to my car.

BTW im sorry for the big pictures... im new to this whole computer and digicam thing... :(

yeah i figured that tire was shot but I recently ordered 19" racing hart c5's and toyo proxes so when those come in I will throw those bad boys on. :)

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Potholes suck. They are repaving a portion of Rt 1 near my place, and i bent a rim on my M3. I gotta get an estimate, file a police report or some ****, and send the info to penndot. Supposebly im gonna get reimbursed. Oh well, i bent one of my 3 spare rims, still got 2 to go.

·
Engaged! :)
2,687 Posts
I've said this many times if you got the extended waranty on your car nissan will replace all that free.... I see alot of these stories on the boards I feel like I am the only one who keeps getting their tires replaced for free due to road hazards and potholes. :p .... Maybe I am alone and the only one who has this...lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i took the car over to my dealers collision shop and they examined my car.

$624 :( and thats if the wheel and tire balance on my car or else its more for wheels and tires...

I bent my lower control arm, broke my strut and did some minor damage to my subframe... so they are going to order me a new control arm and strut and realign my engine crate subframe since it was knocked outta place 1/4 of an inch... lol all for hitting a pothole... im def sueing the city/state.

TeknoPunk said:

"I've said this many times if you got the extended waranty on your car nissan will replace all that free.... I see alot of these stories on the boards I feel like I am the only one who keeps getting their tires replaced for free due to road hazards and potholes. .... Maybe I am alone and the only one who has this...lol"

I do have the extended warranty, I pay an extra 45 dollars a month or something for it. But when I contacted them and notified them of what happened, they told me that it doesn't cover impact damage only mechanical damage. So my good ole 45 bucks a month is going to waste I suppose unless my engine explodes or tranmission fails or something totally ridiculous like that... you think for 45 bucks a month it would at least give you a discount if you get the work done AT the dealership but nope .... I could do alot with that 45 bucks :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, i've ran into a similar problem with Spec. Actually, the damage is nearly the same. To make a long story short, a careless driver (i don't know if he/she was drunk) cut into the on coming lane(my lane) and then I had to swirve out of the way. So, i ran in to a curb. i believe that it was around six inches and went over it. . I was wondering, 03yellowvee, if you fixed this problem and if so how much was the total damage. thanks Any other suggestions right now would be greatly appreciated.
-dan

P.S. the front passenger tire rubs a little when it is turned to the right.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry to hear that but...

... there is something you can do to get your money back. Go to your local DOT office and let them know what happened. Take a picture of a damn pothole, write down its exact location, damage it caused to your ride and you might be able to get your money back. They should have a special form for you to fill out for that matter. Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm sure that notifying DOT about the situation would take an eternity. Frankly, i rather not go through all that trouble of filling paper work and what not. I'll let you guys know whats the situation when i go the dealer on fri. In addition, my closest dealer said that they are booked for the next week an a half. Is it wise to just leave the car in their lot and let them take a look when they have the chance? With this problem, i'll most likey drive 50miles to my dads house and let him handle it because of school work. Thanks for all your support. Hopefully, it is a minor problem.
-dan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts