B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hope i dont get flamed, but i wanna put some kick in my car. Now i dont want no super duper 10,000 watt system, i have a decent head unit already, and now im looking for a sub/s and amp. Now i know a lot of people have 2 12 inch subs, but i want a usable trunk too. I also want some decent base and sound. now where the seats pull down in our cars, behind that theres a space in there and i was wondering if its possible to get a sub and box in there and have it put out good sound and base tone. if not im willing to go with 2 subs or what ever would need to be done. If i do this my self (my friend will help me with all the wiring) how would you get the subs and box to stay put while you cruise around town? also what type of sub/s amp should i get and wont cost me a fortune. looking for 100 - 400 bucks max.

·
El Greco
2,296 Posts
$400? That will give you several good setups to chose from.

From experience, I will reccomend: Alpine 350 mono amp, $140, 10'' Kappa Perect Sub, $120. These are online prices. Now put the Kappa Perfect in its recommended 0.60cf box and you have a great sound quality setup w/ minimal space taken.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok im lookin at that, any lower pricing for a decent sounding system? also whats the diff between 4 2 1 ohm? as far as sound and stuff goes?

·
Registered
60 Posts
ohm is the nominal impedence of the sub(s) which is important when choosing the amp. look at how many watts (rms) the amp puts out at X ohm and match it to the watts (rms) of the sub(s). check out www.jlaudio.com which will probably help you understand better. as far as subs check out alpine type r, adire audio shiva, and elemental designs o series. as far as amps go check out cadence, us acoustics, jbl, or avionixx

·
El Greco
2,296 Posts
Xenozx said:
ok im lookin at that, any lower pricing for a decent sounding system? also whats the diff between 4 2 1 ohm? as far as sound and stuff goes?
Lower? Well, certainly you dont want to go w/ an inferior amp. Alpine for $140 is a great deal. Do not go w/ US acoustics, for god's sake, the USX600D costs ~$150, why the hell it is considered a great deal when w/ less money you get an alpine is out of my understanding. I have had it, sold it and got the Alpine in 1 week.

As for ohms. W/ this amp. you want a 4 Ohms dual voice coil to wire it in parallel to get a 2 ohm load. If you want a little cheaper, go w/ an alpine type-R sub, ~$90. Again, I dont think you can/should spend less than the $140 on a mono amp. You will not find anything decent for less. Don't go w/ sony/lanzar/pyramid, etc...

·
Auf Deutschland
1,184 Posts
Xenozx said:
ok im lookin at that, any lower pricing for a decent sounding system?
if your gonna buy el cheapo flea market brand equipment Im pretty sure most people here don't want to know about it and you'll probably just get flamed. you don't need to spend hundreds or thousands on your system but you should at least try to save a little and get something with a little quality you'll be happier in the long run

·
SER Mod Father
3,419 Posts
I would look for a 4ch amp and a single 12" (4ohm) sub in your budget. Drive the fronts off 2 ch's and the sub bridged on the rear 2 ch's. If you run your all your speakers off the deck the midbass will be lacking and you won't be as happy with the overall sound. Rears are fine off the deck. With $400 I would have to say attention Ebay shoppers. Save a little for decent wiring.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have one of those head units that let you control the sub woofer? im not quite sure i understand all this "bridgeing" stuff. i have a pioneer with the pre outs with sub woofer control, do i still need to bridge my sub and amp?

·
SER Mod Father
3,419 Posts
Get the 4ch and single sub if you like the idea and run the sub RCA out to the rear channels and front RCA out to the fr input on the amp. Wire the fronts normally and use the left + and right - (that's bridged and why you want a 4ohm sub) terminals to hook up your single sub and have it running mono. With your deck you will be able to adj the sub level. Your rears running off the deck will still work with the fader control.
The 4ch amp with a 4ohm sub (bridged mono) will put twice the power to the sub as the fronts with the same gain. Look for a high sensitivity rating to help futher +90 dB at 1watt.

I am assuming within the budget that the amp will be 2ohm stable. They are all 2ohm stable at least. 1ohm stable will blow the budget.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok chillboy you completely blew my idea of hooking in a sub. I was going to leave everything alone and just hook a sub into teh pre outs right? i thought it was that simple, and of course disconecting the stock sub. if im wrong then how difficult is it to install a sub and amp? bridged, mono, 4 channel, rca, please can some one tell me what exactly needs to be done when adding a sub and amp? i am having my friend do it, but i thought it was as simple as getting a compatable sub and amp and running a wire from the head unit to the amp?

·
Auf Deutschland
1,184 Posts
there's a lot to it. you gotta run a 4 gauge wire from the battery through the firewall and into the trunk you may need to drill a place to ground the amp. you need to not only run RCA cables from the head unit but also a remote wire. all this connect to the amp then you can run speaker wire from the amp to the subs.

it doesn't sound like you should be doing this yourself. you should make sure your friend knows what he's doing or have an audio shop do it for you

·
Faster than you..
2,710 Posts
Xenozx said:
ok chillboy you completely blew my idea of hooking in a sub. I was going to leave everything alone and just hook a sub into teh pre outs right? i thought it was that simple, and of course disconecting the stock sub. if im wrong then how difficult is it to install a sub and amp? bridged, mono, 4 channel, rca, please can some one tell me what exactly needs to be done when adding a sub and amp? i am having my friend do it, but i thought it was as simple as getting a compatable sub and amp and running a wire from the head unit to the amp?
Umm yea.. there's a little bit more..

You have to run a power wire from your battery to your amp.
You have to run RCA cable from the preouts on your head unit to the amp.
You have to run a remote turn-on wire from the deck to the amp
You have to run a ground wire from the amp to a screw/bolt to ground the amp.
You have to run speaker wire from the amp to the subs.

Does your deck have built-in crossovers? If not, you might wanna install some bass blockers for your door and rear speakers. That way when you crank the volume your mids/hi's dont get all of the low freq signal and distort like crazy. My gf's car is setup like without bass blockers and sounds like pure *** when the volume is cranked.

·
Just 35 more...
2,296 Posts
Just keep in mind that it isn't hard to do, it just takes time to run the wiring.

Like others have said...

1. Put amp in trunk
2. Run ground wire from amp to seat belt bolt
3. Run RCA's and Remote wire from head unit to trunk and connect to amp
4. Run power wire from battery to amp (should have a fuse in the wire very close to the battery)
5. Run speaker wire from amp to sub

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
most of this stuff i understand would need to be done, but what is a remote wire? or remote turn on? what would an audioshop charge for an install of all this 1sub/amp/ combo already in box?

·
Auf Deutschland
1,184 Posts
go to Best Buy pick out an amp and a sub ask them to install it its like 50 bucks some times its free depending on how much you spend they might tell you to buy an amp kit or some wire too other than that you dont need anything else they try to pawn off on you like dynamat or a capacitor dont be afraid to ask questions some times they like to jerk around newbies so dont let them hassle you

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
IcedC said:
go to Best Buy pick out an amp and a sub ask them to install it its like 50 bucks some times its free depending on how much you spend they might tell you to buy an amp kit or some wire too other than that you dont need anything else they try to pawn off on you like dynamat or a capacitor dont be afraid to ask questions some times they like to jerk around newbies so dont let them hassle you
DO NOT pick out a sub at best buy, they sell nothing but crap (as far as subs and amps go).

I suggest an elemental designs e12K.14 and an Avionixx 400.2. This will be a very nice 12" woofer with a 400rms amp.

185+135 = $320 for a very very nice sounding system
It will have plenty of power and won't take up much room. Just put it in the recommended 1cf sealed box and be on your way.

www.edesignaudio.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts