B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember there were a few problems posted last year but haven't heard anything about it this year.

During the recent heat spell, my A/C performed well on the highway, with my foot on the throttle. In traffic, however, it only blew mildly cool air...though it was extremely hot outside. No musky smell. Anybody else have problems with windows fogging up too easily during rain?

·
Registered
186 Posts
The A/C works the same way for me. Not exactly what I call the most efficient A/C but it definitely works when your moving....brrrrr. In the rain, my front window would fog up sometimes near the vents but putting it on the top vents removes it right away.....although it starts the A/C automatically without turning on the light. I find this annoying sometimes but I think you can override it. I tried the new Civics before I bought the SE and there was no way at all to remove the A/C when you are using the defrost on the vent......even in the winter! I hear they will change that for the 2002 models.

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
i have only had 2 problems with mine. one was about 8 months ago, while idling at a light. it just stopped blowing cold. got it home, turned it off and turned it back on. it blew cold again.

then the other day coming back from my wife's grandparents. i had the a/c button depressed and on fresh. after about an hour, i kicked it to recircle and it made a god awful noise and wouldn't even blow. took it home, turned it off and unloaded the car. then came back out and started it up and it blew cold again. of course the local service boys couldn't find anything wrong since it wasn't "out" when i took it to them.

sidenote: just had to order 4th replacement passenger side droopy sunvisor.

G

·
My A/C seems to operate the same as listed above. If I am in traffic, the air isn't very cold. I have to get moving before things improve. I had a Dodge Neon Rental car for a few days awhile back, and I must say the A/C in that car was more effective. WHo knows, the whole ventilation system in the Sentra is a bit screwy.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Usually windows that fog up easily (like mine) are a result from what they call a "smoke screen":D Caused by smoking in the vehicle, and then the smoke builds a film across the windshield. They make special window cleaning agents to clean and prevent the smoke screen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's actually pretty good, although it's not as cold as my original 91 SE-R which had the CFC stuff. That Sentra blew so cold that I had to turn it off so very often. The current Sentra with the CFC-free stuff, I just leave it on until I get home. No need to cycle it on and off.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I also haven't had any problems with mine and we have been getting around 85 degree weather and humidity is high....I believe the tint helps out alot though......:)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've already battle-tested mine in 100+ weather, about five days' worth so far this year, and it's been all right. It does warm up a little during stop and go, but on the freeway or steady cruising in general it's cool.

But then again my last car had NO AC! So, I might be a little biased and lenient.

·
Registered
11 Posts
MIne is not cutting it. I just got rid of my '94 SE-R and it had the non-cfc R134a. It worked great compared to my new '01 se.

I will see what the dealer says next week when I take it in for the recall.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Two things to consider...

If you use one of those sunshades when you are parked that helps a lot. It takes a long time to ge rid of all that heat.

The other is that you may have a low charge. Mostly the charge slowly leaks out of the schrader valves-the ones with the red and blue caps on. As soon as I got my ride (one of the caps was missing-good job Nissan) I bought another one. The trick here is to use a very-very small amount of silicon on the surface of the valve where the cap rubber seals on the valve. This will prevent future leakage through the cap. Happens all the time. Get it recharged and do what I'm telling ya' and your problems are gone- unless there is another leak.

There's no problem with the 134a freon in my opinion- it works just as well as the 22.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The only time I use the AC is during my ~6 mile trip on the highway, since I can open the windows during all other times on the road. I think the AC works well, but it's not as cold as some have said (I think Car and Driver or Edmunds listed that as a 'pro' when they reviewd the car awhile back).

But, it serves my purpose -- to keep me from getting sweaty in those cloth seats.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes...it won't freeze your *** off....

But you won't die of heat either. I'm sure some tint would help. Mine works well....but like the others it blows warmer in traffic. If it's really hot outside I'll usually switch the recirc on when in traffic to help the A/C catch up.

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
I used to do onsite computer work and drove a E-250 cargo van around. Moving, I would need to keep the fan at 2 to move cool air. At a stop, warm air just "poured" in.

As far my 2000, it seems to work sufficiently for me. It's been able to keep up with a few 90 degree days we had, and is able to cool the car from 105 to 80 in the 10 minutes it takes me to get home. I do have meticallized window tinting on the doors and back window, so maybe that helps.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Yes...it won't freeze your *** off....

Jdog-X said:
If it's really hot outside I'll usually switch the recirc on when in traffic to help the A/C catch up.
This brings up another question. How do you know when you press the recirc...that it's actually recirculating the air? On my previous car, I would have to press a level and you can heard and feel a difference in the way the air is blown out of the vents...with this push button thingy...I can't really tell.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well on some cars the recirc seems to increase airflow, but not on our Sentras. I can tell it kicks in because in a few seconds the air coming from the vents gets noticeably cooler.

·
Registered
53 Posts
To-and-fro...

The A/C seems to be adequate in my experience thusfar, although it does lag slightly during idling as mentioned by the others and has only remotely struggled during the 100-degree days we have been experiencing lately here.

The dips in cooling during idling can be expected as much from the idle engine as the heat building in the engine bay (as well as the interior) from lack of airflow... just turn off the A/C in the sun and notice how quickly the car heats up - that's what the unit's contending with.

Best option is to blow the extraneous heat out the windows then use the fresh air to cool and switch to recirculate to keep it cold - if you're not convinced that recirculate doesn't improve airflow, punch the button while the fan's set to "4" - you should get at least a 25% increase in airflow...

·
Registered
23 Posts
A/C Fix

I posted this in the technical forum, but there is a TSB out about the A/C in the 2001 Sentra...

Make: NISSAN Model: SENTRA Year: 2001

Service Bulletin Number: NTB00091 Bulletin Sequence Number: 158 Date of Bulletin: 11/00

NHTSA Item Number: SB615863
Component: AIR CONDITIONER
Summary:
ON SOME VEHICLES, THE A/C SYSTEM MAY EXHIBIT INCREASED DISCHARGE AIR TEMPERATURE FROM THE VENTS WHILE DRIVING AND / OR DECREASED DISCHARGE AIR FLOW FROM THE VENTS WHILE DRIVING. *TT

I got this from http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/Central/central2.cfm

---
Trevor
2001 Sentra SE 5spd
PP, Sunroof

1 - 17 of 17 Posts