B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok for those of you that care. I did use the search function but didn't find the info I am looking for. Ok here are my questions. How do I advance the timing? Is it something I can do myself? How much should I advance it? What octane should I be running if I advance it? How will it help performance? Will it be something that effects the warrenty? Would the dealership be able to tell that I did it?

Ok thats about all I want to know . Thanks lol

------------------
2001 Blackout Se with PP
Custom Grilles, Stromung is on order and PRI CAI is comming soon.

·
Slowcars4life
126 Posts
You will want to run the highest octane you can buy. You can do it yourself, but you will need a timing light. The dealer may know you did it, but it should not affect your warranty. It improves responce and adds a little power. You have to turn the distributor to do it.Its explained in the technical section of this site.

------------------
White 95 Sentra GLE

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bump it to about 17 18 degree's. Mines at 19 but you might want to do it a little less just to be safe.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SE-R
Custom 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot Cold Air Intake, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys (2set), Nis-knacks clear corners, timing at 19 degrees, Hotshot header(installing this week)
aim Stea1th727

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How and where can I get a timing light?

------------------
2001 Blackout Se with PP

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nismo_Girl_2001:
How and where can I get a timing light?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can get it in any real automotive shops/parts stores. :)

------------------
Marvin
-2000 Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 Spd, Avalanche
Current mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust System
Future mods:pR CAI, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, Window Tint
-Previous Owner 1995 Sentra GXE, w/mods, Auto, Maroon

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok call me dumb ,but I don't see anything in the technical section about how to change your timing. Unless I am blind lol. And no I'm not a blonde. Could someone point it out to me please? Thanks.

------------------
2001 Blackout Se with PP

G

·
It's not in the technical section. Someone posted how to do it awhile back, but we seemed to have lost all of our old conent.
www.se-r.net has a B14 method of advancing the timing. The B15 has a couple of differences from what I have heard, but it will more or less tell you how to do it.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd. Cloud White.
MODS:
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back.
- Ghetto airbox...Zip ties and all!

"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific."

·
Registered
778 Posts
loosen the cap and search for the timing belt with the gun. stock should be 15 at tdc. you can tell by the marks in the belt. to change, just move the cap counterclockwise to advance.

------------------
2000 sentra se
pp, 5spd

·
Engi-nerd
2,218 Posts
so are there any negatives about advancing the timing, except the extra $ for the high octane gas? like less gas mileage, or more engine wear/shorter engine life...otherwise why doesnt it come from the factory that way?

------------------
"If i cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

1 - 10 of 10 Posts