B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am making a switch panel for a couple small neon lights and my amp but i want the switches to only recieve power when the car is in 'acc' or started (just like the stereo). so i am told i should run a new accessory wire from the fuse panel to avoid overloading the current accessory fuse by tapping into other wires. could someone elaborate on how to do this? thanks alot

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
There are spare, unused fuse holders in the fuse panel. Locate one, test it to make sure it is switched and not constant +12V.
Unscrew the fuse panel and find that same fuse slot on the back. Tap the wire and take that to your switch.
BE SURE TO FUSE THE SWITCH PANEL with the correct amperage rating; add the current draw in Amps of all accessories that will be powered off that switch, and use that combined rating as the fuse value.
If you're not going to bother fusing the power lead to the switch, DO NOT DO THE MOD. A fuse holder is an extra $1.99- please don't skimp, and be sure all leads are heatshrunk/taped off well to avoid shorts.
I've had wires I've added short, glow orange and burn the insulation off- it makes a hell of a stink and mess, nevermind being dangerous.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
accessory wire from fuse panel to one side of all your switches...

then the hot wire from all your goodies to the other side of the switch...

then connect all the grounds, do not switch them.... and youre golden...

and do as he ^^^^^ said...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts