B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Carrrrrne asada
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My CPS started crapping out on me when I was on my way back from Xmas vacation. Luckily I made it back home before it totally crapped out. It cost $37.23 (in stock) from the dealer. Anywhere else I would've had to special order it. Since I had to replace mine anyways I thought I should take some pictures for the DIYers. I know Nissan has a recall on this so this may come in handy for some people pretty soon. I personally don't like taking my car to a dealer if possible. This is the best possible way for me to change the CPS.
The process as a whole doesn't take long at all the way I did it. Maybe just over 30 mins just because it's 35* outside with 15mph wind gusts.

Tools Needed:
1/4 ratchet
10mm deep socket
12mm socket
flathead screwdriver
Stool/ block (for shorter people, yeah I used one, so what)

1) Disconnect Battery (not sure if it's necessary, doesn't hurt)
2) I took off my SRI just for easier access. Also, to get ready to stick my head/arm down there.

3) Take off the 12mm bolt that WAS holding the bracket pictured. With the bracket not secured to the block it was much easier to access the CPS.

4) Shove your arm down and take off the 10mm bolt holding the CPS in place.

5) remove old CPS

6) install new CPS and reinstall bolt

7) Reinstall bolt for bracket
8) Reinstall intake (if removed)
9) Reconnect Battery (if disconnected)
10) Start it up and have fun driving again!!!

If anyone has any inputs, comments, or ways to improve on it then please share.

~Bryan

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts
Nice! Thanks, i'll need this eventually.

·
Carrrrrne asada
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AggieSpec said:
wait so, the replacement has a different sensor head on it than the old one?

This is what that last recall was about right?
The new revised CPS have a metal shank vice a plastic one. When I first threw the CPS code I took it upon myself to change it out. When I went to the dealer to get a CPS. They knew why I was there w/o me telling them my CPS crapped out since I had told them that I wanted a CPS. They informed me of the how the revised CPS would look different from the older ones. I never recieved a recall notice from Nissan. From what I've read from others that did get a notice that it was ECM related. But since I changed out my CPS I've had absolutely no issues with long/hard/no starts, RPM dropoffs while driving, or SES codes.

When my CPS did finally go out, every autoparts store magically had to special order a new CPS. I'm only guessing that it was due to Nissan recalling all the older ones.

·
Registered
64 Posts
yea i am having this problem right now. same things rpms dropping off sometimes causing stalling. about to head over to the dealer and get a new sensor. the auto parts store by me doesn't have the medal one i want that one. :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
sticky?

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
and what exactly is a CPS? the abbreviation of crank sensor is CKP, and for the cam sensor its CMP or (phase) depending on which cam sensor it is, but for the life of me ive never heard of a CPS, coolant position sensor maybe?

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts
nismo_pilot said:
and what exactly is a CPS? the abbreviation of crank sensor is CKP, and for the cam sensor its CMP or (phase) depending on which cam sensor it is, but for the life of me ive never heard of a CPS, coolant position sensor maybe?
Hopefully the coolant will be in the engine & in the radiator. That sensor is pretty far from the cam area. CPS has been used to refer to both the crank & cam position sensors on this engine for some time. This one is the Crank PS that has been the cause of the recent ECU/ECM reflash recall.

I think CPS is like that saying "i could care less" which is used to mean that you don't care at all, which could be more accurately communicated by saying "i couldn't care less".

·
Registered
65 Posts
what year does this recal go for...my car has been having long hard starts and i cant figure oout why...im not throwing any codes and everything checked fine...the starter battery alternator it was all good..this cps is the eonly thing i can figure out could cause it

·
Carrrrrne asada
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nismo_pilot said:
there is a fuel pump recall that the fuel pump is supposed to be upgraded for long cranks as well as the CKP
It's a TSB, but true. However, the "CPS/CKP/Thingy/RSVP" problem can cause RPM dropoff and stalling while driving not just extended crank time.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
^^
That's odd. I always thought the crank sensor's sole and only purpose was to diagnose misfires and throw a code, thus never causing RPM fluctuations. Is it different on newer B15 models?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts
KrAsH said:
lol, so basically, the sensor screws up the ECU program. :eek:

Nissan engineers rawk! :D
And how did they fix it in their recall? Didn't they just tell the ECU "that ole CPS can talk crazy sometimes when the heat gets to her" & check in with the CPS less often. Damn! Talk about a nasty used bandaid.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts