B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
M07S
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will not post images directly to this thread due to Yahoo photos sucking @$$.

Tools needed:
green loctite
5mm hex key
flathead screwdriver
pliers
10-12-17mm sockets and appropriate drivers and extensions
17mm wrench
patience

1. using 17mm socket and 17mm wrench, remove strut bar. No strut bar? Proceed to step 2.

2. remove upper intake section between MAF and TB.

3. using 5mm hex key, remover throttle body. THIS picture shows only top two bolts, there are two more underneath.

4. using pliers, remove hoses from upper manifold section. Two are in THIS picture, The other two are next to the throttle body, between the manifold and firewall.

5. using the 10 and 12 mm sockets w/ extensions, remove the bolts seen in these pictures: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I and THIS zip tie can be undone with the flathead.

6. After removing those, the upper manifold should easily remove, leaving you with THIS.

7. remove gasket and cover the open runners with cloth or something.

8. remove one screw on any butterfly, (I suggest either going driver to passenger side or vice versa,) use green loctite, and reinstall. Go until all screws have loctite.

9. re-installation of upper manifold is the opposite of removal.

Happy Modding!

·
I'm with your mom
1,540 Posts
this is a how to what?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I think it's regarding the loose butterfly screws that were getting sucked into manifolds, no?

A friend told me about this happening to his 03 Spec, and having to take it to the dealer and blabbity blah. I asked my dealer about it when I got my recall done, but they didn't say much about it at all, so I'm wondering if it isn't an issue with the 02's?

·
SER Mod Father
3,419 Posts
That PowerTech guy said it's a good idea to put a magnet onto the screwdriver when you unscrew them.

And nice intiative, all the posts with little tips should be added to the original post and delete the BS and close it so we point and flame instead of just the flames when some Newb asks.

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
Nice info and pics JoelAZ ;)

There is a thread here too about the problem and some solution posted by other members.
http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76722&highlight=secondary+runner

And as said there, it seem there is 2 version of the intake manifold, one with a revised version that may fix the problem. Also, using LocTite might not last forever because the the end of the screw are exposed to the combustion chamber, heat and gaz vapor that may remove the LocTite on this side of the screw.

Best thing to do IMO is to completely remove the intake manifold and warp the thread of the screw so they could not get loose and be removed. But it involve more work and a "non-reversable" mod.

Might consider the first option too because seem easy to do.

About the magnet, is it because there is a risk the runner can open with simple pressure on it and lost the screw into it? A safe thing to do before would be to "lock" somehow the actuator arm so the butterfly won't open while working in it...

·
Back for More
3,766 Posts
JoelAZ said:
done.

Yes, It is for the butterfly screws, if you are that paranoid. I will be changing manifolds soon, so I was doing some exploratory surgery.
What manifold are you going to, and I'm guessing it eliminates the secondary intake runner idea altogether?

·
SER Mod Father
3,419 Posts
angel2167882 said:

About the magnet, is it because there is a risk the runner can open with simple pressure on it and lost the screw into it? A safe thing to do before would be to "lock" somehow the actuator arm so the butterfly won't open while working in it...
If you have a strong magnet on your screwdriver as apposed to trusting a magnetic one it shouldn't fall in anyways I believe was the point. Memories not all it was though ;)

·
M07S
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WhiteSpecV said:
What manifold are you going to, and I'm guessing it eliminates the secondary intake runner idea altogether?
A "funnel ported" stock manifold, so the secondaries are still there. Those already have loctite on them. ;)

The reason for why I took off the manifold was to see how long it was going to take me to do it before I got to the dyno.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts