B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first off,
Yes, I realize this is an awful idea, I just want suggestions and to figure out how terrible this is.

I got my 2002 Spec-V as a salvage, so the resenator box for the intake located infront of the drivers wheel was cracked and had a piece missing. I pulled out the box so now the intake for my car is three little stumpy things all located right infront of my K&N washable air filter.

I figure that all the air these guys are sucking up is the hot air from my engine, so I want to do some type of intake mod. Since I'm a poor college student I don't really have any money to spend; so I came up with a brilliant (a.k.a. idiodic) idea!

I want to pull out my driver side fog light and run a house from it into the area where the box used to be, then put a loop in it(hopefully to reduce what I suck up by a little). From that empty area I want to then run the house up to the three stumpy guys.

This means ALL the air my engine will be getting will be the forced air from my fog light. Obviously I would disconnect the house from the three stumpy intakes whenever I had to drive on dirty or wet roads, but how stupid is it to run with the hose hooked up like half the time.

Is there anything I can do to make this idea less stupid?

ALSO SECOND RELATED QUESTION:

What does the resenator box really do? Is it useful?

If I end up not doing the RAM air should I get another resenator box or what?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
the resonator box, is just that, to reduce the sound created by the intake itself. you dont need the resonator box, you can scrap it. as for the idea of a real ram air, is a good idea, but your a 'poor college student', but what you have to consider when porting to the fog light, is like you said water/dirt getting up into the intake.

you will be much better of with a regular style intake for regular daily driving. you can go short or cold-air, is up to you, but cai sounds more like what youll want, as you can change it from cold-air to short just by removing the downward tube that goes where the resonator is. you could also just find a 6" pipe and make your own shorty, just make sure you have approx 6" of pipe between the maf and air filter, this usually results in the filter sitting on top of the hole for the resonator, gathering some cold air while still utilizing the oem water bypass canisters.

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
"just make sure you have approx 6" of pipe between the maf and air filter"

this greatly smooths out the maf signal to the ecu
resulting in a better ecu self tune
and for those of you ,unfortunate enough to to run the 02 maf this will increase the life span of that rather fragile piece

1 - 6 of 6 Posts